Gifting OBC

floralscent

Does anyone have ideas on how to gift someone OBC? I ask because we have some friends that are cruising Celebrity and we would love to gift them some OBC. Ultimately a surprise OBC that they find once onboard would be fun but giving it in advance of the trip would be fun as well. Thanks-

I was able to do this recently without the booking number but with passenger name, ship and sail date. Can’t remember the department that handles it but if you call the main number they should be able to transfer you or give you a separate phone number. You can compose a little note to the recipient, and the note, which I think also shows the OBC amount, is delivered to the cabin after boarding - or waiting there when the recipient boards. I did this for my daughters for their sailing last month (I did not have their booking number and didn’t want to ask them/ruin the surprise) but think it could be done for anyone.

Edited by def0715
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tarrian said:

Thanks for that. I think OBC is said not to be refundable. Any left over goes back to Celebrity

It depends on the source of the OBC.  The OBC we receive from Celebrity for booking onboard and as part of our Suite booking is non-refundable.   The OBC we receive from our Travel Agent for having our booking shifted to them, or having our booking registered with them is refundable. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

It depends on the source of the OBC.  The OBC we receive from Celebrity for booking onboard and as part of our Suite booking is non-refundable.   The OBC we receive from our Travel Agent for having our booking shifted to them, or having our booking registered with them is refundable. 

Additionally, (it was our experience anyway), when you have multiple OBC's, they use your non-refundable OBC first as you are spending it. Thus, saving your refundable OBC for last in case you have any left over.

14 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

Additionally, (it was our experience anyway), when you have multiple OBC's, they use your non-refundable OBC first as you are spending it. Thus, saving your refundable OBC for last in case you have any left over.

That is correct.  They have always put charges against our non-refundable OBC first. 

We usually use OBC to tip various crew members that are not part of the standard gratuity pool, e.g. sommelier. 

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

That is correct.  They have always put charges against our non-refundable OBC first. 

We usually use OBC to tip various crew members that are not part of the standard gratuity pool, e.g. sommelier. 

Same here.

BTW, we are also Retired Navy. Sallie 1995 and me (Terry) 1989

We did this on our last cruise.  Guest Relations told us if we wanted to tip someone personally like a waiter, or bartender (or anyone) we needed their proper spelling of their first and last name to fill put on the form.  

We also told our bartender what we were doing because he was wondering why we were asking for his full name LOL.  He was so happy and didn't realize that could be done! 

You can select many different people on the form to divide up your remaining OBC as well.  You don't have to leave your full total balance to just one person. 

If you only have the first name of a bartender for example, the money you leave from your OBC will go into the bar pool to be divided up amongst everyone.  

Also, if you want to leave it to your Room Steward (with a first name only) then he/she will receive it personally and it will not be pooled. 

I think it is a wonderful idea instead of leaving it on your account unused or frivolously spending it on board. 

Happy Cruising! 

• Like 1