Is this doable? (Rome)

LDL1220

5 minutes ago, LDL1220 said:

Is it reasonable to visit the Vatican on an embarkation day? We will be staying at Hotel Smeraldo. How do we go about getting tickets and what is the earliest time to enter? 

What is your definition of "visit the Vatican"?  You can enter St. Peter's Cathedral without a ticket.  Entry is free.  However, you need to wait in line to pass thru security.

If you are wanting to visit the Vatican Museums, this is the official site.  You can purchase timed entry tickets on the site.

https://m.museivaticani.va/

You would have time to visit the Vatican in the morning prior to heading to Civitavecchia to catch your ship.  But you will need to have a plan for getting to the port that allows for the visit.  It will also depend on what time your cruise line has told you that you need to be checked in by.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

3 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

What is your definition of "visit the Vatican"?  You can enter St. Peter's Cathedral without a ticket.  Entry is free.  However, you need to wait in line to pass thru security.

If you are wanting to visit the Vatican Museums, this is the official site.  You can purchase timed entry tickets on the site.

https://m.museivaticani.va/

You would have time to visit the Vatican in the morning prior to heading to Civitavecchia to catch your ship.  But you will need to have a plan for getting to the port that allows for the visit. 

I am going to arrange a transfer via RomeCabs. What is the latest I can comfortably arrive at the port? 

Your input is greatly appreciated

appreciated.

Edited by LDL1220

Just now, LDL1220 said:

I am going to arrange a transfer via RomeCabs. What is the latest I can comfortably arrive at the port? 

Your input is greatly appreciated

appreciated? 

Your cruise line needs to be the one to tell you what time you comfortably need to be at the port.  It varies from sailing to sailing.  What is the departure time shown in your cruise paperwork?  The cruise line probably also has a guideline for how many hours prior to sailing that you need to check in.  Get those numbers and give them to RomeCabs and they can tell you when they need to leave Rome to get you there in time.

23 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Your cruise line needs to be the one to tell you what time you comfortably need to be at the port.  It varies from sailing to sailing.  What is the departure time shown in your cruise paperwork?  The cruise line probably also has a guideline for how many hours prior to sailing that you need to check in.  Get those numbers and give them to RomeCabs and they can tell you when they need to leave Rome to get you there in time.

It is 5pm.  Thank you!

35 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Figure you will need to be onboard no later than 4pm, but your cruise line may require sooner. You need to allow 90 minutes for the drive from the Vatican to the port.

47 minutes ago, LDL1220 said:

It is 5pm.  Thank you!

Longer than 90 minutes. The OP will not have their bags with them. They need to get back to the hotel to pick them up from the desk. Then it would be 90 minutes from the hotel to the port.

It  is still doable, especially getting early admission to the VM. They need to be out of the Vatican by 11 or so. Then at the hotel by noon the latest. It is a 15-20 minute taxi ride back to the hotel. Grab a quick bite for lunch and be on the road by 1.  Then they will be at the port by 2:30 at the latest.

Edited by marazul

1 hour ago, LDL1220 said:

Is it reasonable to visit the Vatican on an embarkation day? We will be staying at Hotel Smeraldo. How do we go about getting tickets and what is the earliest time to enter? 

As already mentioned, I'm not sure if you're wanting to visit St Paul's Cathedral or the Vatican Museum.  So here goes:

St Paul's opens at 7 AM.  There are no tickets, it's a queue with a security scanner.  Not sure when you're going, but the line can be long (or short) depending upon the time of year.  Keep in mind the Pope's outdoor mass is scheduled for Wednesday's.  It's been years since I've been there for the mass, but if I recall correctly everything was shut down until after noon. 

Vatican Museum & Sistine Chapel opens at 9 AM.  Do not plan on getting tickets there, you need to prebook with a defined time entry.  The official website is (www.museivaticani.va)  Vatican Museums – Official Website (museivaticani.va)    You may see the dates you want "sold out" unfortunately, but if you go to a third-party they will be available.   

An option to get into the Vatican earlier than 9 AM is there's a Do Breakfast at the Vatican option, which is scheduled for 7:30.  Again, probably not available the Vatican's website, but doable via third-party. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Girr said:

Visit St Paul's Cathedral 

That would be quite a trick!

The Breakfast at the Vatican is a Vatican Museum tour that is booked in their website. Third party sites resell them.  The breakfast is served after the tour and the OP can be out of the VM by 11 am.  This will save them time since the will not need to get lunch or a snack before leaving for the port.

But, to your point, the OP needs to figure out if they want to visit the VM or St Peter's. 😁

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

We are doing the early morning tour the day of departure.  Leaving our hotel with Rome Cabs at 1.  We know it will be tight but I think it will be better than trying to squeeze in the tour with other things on Thursday and Friday.   Hoping we will get to check after the majority of people so less time in line. 

On 8/13/2023 at 9:31 PM, kwokpot said:

How long will you have been in Rome? A bit too much going on. Jetlag is a very real thing. You need several days to get used to the time changes. You're cramming too much. 

We will arrive the day prior, unknown time. I am now thinking of just doing St. Peter's and I would love to do the dome climb. Is this reasonable if we get there super early? We will do the museums on the back end of the trip. 

On 8/13/2023 at 9:38 PM, sassycruiser said:

We are doing the early morning tour the day of departure.  Leaving our hotel with Rome Cabs at 1.  We know it will be tight but I think it will be better than trying to squeeze in the tour with other things on Thursday and Friday.   Hoping we will get to check after the majority of people so less time in line. 

Are you doing both or just the museums? May I ask what tour you have chosen? 

11 minutes ago, sassycruiser said:

The Tour guy.com 

the tour is called Privileged Entrance to the Vatican.  I have been previously and did all self guided.  My sister insisted we get a. Tour.  So I am not 100% on what is covered beyond the Sistine Chapel. 

I was just looking at this tour last night. When is your cruise?

1 hour ago, sassycruiser said:

Thank you.  In that time frame for vacation when I am really excited because it’s coming soon and panic because I have to pack and why didn’t I loose any weight this summer?  😀

I'm 8 months out and feel that way! 😭 Relax and enjoy. I can't wait to hear about your trip!