Our review of the July 26, 2023 Norse Legends on Nieuw Statendam

Zukini

On 8/15/2023 at 4:11 PM, Zukini said:

I did see them, thank you for providing them.

You're welcome . Thank you for your review and it has helped us to consider our upcoming cruise to Norway and Iceland on the Nieuw Statendam . We are considering another cruise line that has a better itinerary and nicer suite .Thank you for your help .

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider any port schedule to be set in stone, particularly for Norway.  While I blame HAL for a complete lack of transparency on the changes that affected our cruise (and the one before us, I believe), the fact is that Norway is cracking down on the number of ships accessing their UNESCO Heritage Sites (of which Bergen is one), and is supposedly closing those sites to any emmission producing vessels by 2025. That being said, the port shuffling they did in this batch DID allow Rotterdam to visit Bergen instead of the Nieuw Statendam, but I would definitely not trust that the Norway itineraries will sail as published (and I certainly wouldn't trust anything Holland America says to the contrary).

Edited by Zukini
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Goteberg is one of our favorite ports - it reveals many charms that may be less obvious on first glance. We always look forward to return visits to this city.

1. Incredible art museum from major French imoressionists, signature Nordic art with brooding skies and scraped landscapes, and provocative contemporary pieces;

2. Wonderful fresh herring in the "Fish Church";

3.  Canal boat trip though the city's many green spaces, and even

4. Industrial port was a mesmerizing ballet of cargo container handling, we loved watching if from our verandah..

Taking away prior non-monetized gathering spaces like the daytime use of the Explorers Lounge or the Crows Nest, and other daytime sheltered nooks and crannies, may well now put pressure on the Lido tables as the only remaining venue to serve that prior purpose.

Particularly for those occupying inside cabins. The generous variety of available quiet spaces was always a gracious signature for HAL ships. Those spaces where many would gravitate to for reading, cards, board games, and quiet social conversations. Or even a snooze, while viewing the sea from loungers on the former wide promenade decks.

• Like 1