NCL JOY

josephine678

Just came off the Joy yesterday. The ship is beautiful, the crew wonderful and very good to my handicap mom. But sadly, my cruising with NCL may be over. I been cruising with them over for 10-15 years now. But I need to find a cruise line that is calmer more relaxing without the huge crowds and super loud music. Best spot was observation deck and it's rumored they are making it smaller. The waterfront has less seating than the breakaway. And forget trying to find seating in a shaded area on the pool deck. The food is plentiful and cooked well but the selections are very ordinary, unless you want to pay gratuity and service charge in a specialty restaurant. I think more relaxing to fly to a destination in a fine hotel with an inclusive package. In one of the presentations on board they mentioned a ship is being designed that will hold 10,000 souls. Good God! This just doesn't seem safe anymore. We were worried about a stampede on deck 7 yesterday during embarkation it was insane. 

20 minutes ago, josephine678 said:

In one of the presentations on board they mentioned a ship is being designed that will hold 10,000 souls

RCCL's ICON of the Seas should hit that number or get very close to it.

Maybe a line such as Oceania, Regent Seven Seas (both are under the NCLH umbrella), Explora Journeys (brand new under the MSC umbrella), Silver Sea, Viking, Seabourn, Cunard, etc. might work better for you.

There are also the "ship within a ship" concepts from NCL (Haven), MSC (Yacht Club), and Celebrity (The Retreat) if you still enjoy some of the big ship stuff.

Just throwing some options out there....

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I think the Global Dream ship that Disney bought was rumored to have that kind of count as it was designed, though that one could be smaller than the Global Dream II that was JUST starting construction before it was stopped.  Who knows what Disney's plans are for it but it's surely going to be a LOT of money to sail on her...

5 minutes ago, hallux said:

I think the Global Dream ship that Disney bought was rumored to have that kind of count as it was designed, though that one could be smaller than the Global Dream II that was JUST starting construction before it was stopped.  Who knows what Disney's plans are for it but it's surely going to be a LOT of money to sail on her...

From what I've read, Disney will lower the passenger count and probably the crew count while making the ship their own. The total number of humans on a cruise ship will vary but I doubt that the average person would feel the difference between 95% and 102% capacity.

• Like 1

I liked the Joy but it was too people-y for me.  I loved the Dawn.  It didn't have the fancy bells and whistles, but I don't need water slides and a go-kart track, I need good food, some trivia, fun ports, some night music, and enough booze to kill a full-grown bull elephant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/14/2023 at 6:02 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

Maybe a line such as Oceania, Regent Seven Seas (both are under the NCLH umbrella), Explora Journeys (brand new under the MSC umbrella), Silver Sea, Viking, Seabourn, Cunard, etc. might work better for you.

There are also the "ship within a ship" concepts from NCL (Haven), MSC (Yacht Club), and Celebrity (The Retreat) if you still enjoy some of the big ship stuff.

Icon is actually not much more in capacity than O class ... 7600 Max as opposed to 7000

Cheers

On 8/14/2023 at 6:02 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

I guess if ur counting crew , they both come close ... But I don't think that was the implication of the OP ...?