Zuiderdam - Quebec City tour and port question

showgirl85

We are sailing on a Canada & NE cruise on the Zuiderdam next month, and our tour to Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre & Montmorency Falls is on a Sunday morning.  Has anyone taken this tour (would love to hear feedback) and did you have access to the Basilica?

Also, I know there are two embarkation ports in Quebec City.  Is the Zuiderdam’s port within walking distance to the Chateau Frontenac?

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, showgirl85 said:

We are sailing on a Canada & NE cruise on the Zuiderdam next month, and our tour to Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre & Montmorency Falls is on a Sunday morning.  Has anyone taken this tour (would love to hear feedback) and did you have access to the Basilica?

Also, I know there are two embarkation ports in Quebec City.  Is the Zuiderdam’s port within walking distance to the Chateau Frontenac?

Thanks!

September 1-3 is Pier 30, not easy walking distance. 

https://www.portquebec.ca/en/cruises/information-for-cruise-ship-passengers/access-to-docks

I have inquired about specifics on the alleged Pier 30 shuttle but have not yet gotten a response.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did the falls and Basilica years ago. You will likely get to the church after services.  We thoroughly enjoyed the falls, mother enjoyed the church. Once was enough for me.  On later visits we did other activities.

I suggest doing Quebec City on your own.  You can walk to the tram which is what the HAL city tour likely will do anyway.   Once in the upper city you will have a lot to do and a wonderful time. I think there is a shuttle 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

On 8/14/2023 at 5:59 PM, rafinmd said:

I have inquired about specifics on the alleged Pier 30 shuttle but have not yet gotten a response.

I am interested in hearing HAL's response to your inquiry because I am also on the September 2 cruise.

On 8/14/2023 at 7:03 PM, Mary229 said:

I did the falls and Basilica years ago. You will likely get to the church after services.  We thoroughly enjoyed the falls, mother enjoyed the church. Once was enough for me.  On later visits we did other activities.

I suggest doing Quebec City on your own.  You can walk to the tram which is what the HAL city tour likely will do anyway.   Once in the upper city you will have a lot to do and a wonderful time. I think there is a shuttle 

I agree that you can do Quebec city on your own. I don't know where the shuttle will drop passengers, but the port says there is one. I was at the "original" cruise dock (21) last fall and I don't recall seeing shuttle buses at the pier. There was a Princess ship at 30, and I wouldn't consider it walkable because you have to get around the harbor (Basin Louise). If you've been to Quebec City before and know the harbor walk near where the farmers market was, 30 is across Basin Louise near the large grain silos. (Yes, that's a "pop up" swimming pool in the harbor!)

Depending on where the shuttle drops you, you might begin at the lower part of town. Walk the Petit Champlain at the "lower" city and try maple flavored ice cream at the Sugar Shack! What Mary called the "tram" is the funicular, which is a kind of railway designed for sleep slopes. It's a short ride, and it saves you a lot of steps. There may be a long queue, but your other option to get to the "upper" town is a long flight of stairs or a long winding walk uphill. 

If the shuttle drops you somewhere in the upper town, wander around there, and end at the terrace at the Chateau Frontenac to see the beautiful views. Then take the funicular down to stroll Petit Champlain. There's usually less of a queue to ride down than up. 

If the shuttle drops you near the harbor walk, take a few minutes to see what sort of art installations they have this year and check out the community garden that replaced the farmers market building. 

L1990439.JPG

• Like 1

Sounds like a couple of you are on the sailing the first week of Sept, and in case you haven’t seen there is a roll call for this trip: 

i was also curious about finding the port entrance itself, as it seems some of the berths are quite far from one another and it’s not yet clear to me where the central processing area/terminal is, when I look at a map…

There isn't one central terminal. Berths 21 and 22 share the terminal along the St Lawrence River, below the old town area. Berth 30 is not near there. It's along the river that flows into the St Lawrence, and is not an easy walk into the city. Berth 30 has its own, very new terminal right at the berth. It was built to handle larger ships, especially for embarkation rather than just a port stop. 

Look at Roy's post #2 for a link to port information.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jaapie said:

I am interested in hearing HAL's response to your inquiry because I am also on the September 2 cruise.

Bonjour Roy,

You are right about the location of each ship at the Port of Quebec for these dates. There will be a shuttle on Pier 22 parking lot that can bring you to the Pier 30 terminal. Otherwise, there will be taxi and uber drivers available on those dates that can bring you to Pier 30 from Pier 22.

I hope I did answer mostly of your questions.

Have a nice day !

Superviseur des opérations croisières et événements

T [QC]    418 803-2973

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Bonjour Roy,

You are right about the location of each ship at the Port of Quebec for these dates. There will be a shuttle on Pier 22 parking lot that can bring you to the Pier 30 terminal. Otherwise, there will be taxi and uber drivers available on those dates that can bring you to Pier 30 from Pier 22.

I hope I did answer mostly of your questions.

Have a nice day !

Superviseur des opérations croisières et événements

T [QC]    418 803-2973

So were you asking about a shuttle for embarkation? IIRC, on another thread you were asking about going from one ship to another. This answer sounds like one-way directions from one pier to another. Is this also the shuttle to take passengers to and from town?

On 8/14/2023 at 6:22 PM, showgirl85 said:

Thanks!

This is a picture taken from a ship a little up river from Zuiderdam's docking.  Your choice is taking a vernicular or a zig zag road which is more picturesque. I believe our docking location is right on the river not in the industrial port.  We're sailing B2B 

Constellation Oct 2009 028.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

When you fill out your survey please include the following suggestion 

please include on the itinerary whether there will be a shuttle available in port whether paid or free 

Good idea. This kind of information is lacking on many cruises, and not just on HAL. It may not be available at the time the cruise is listed, especially if there are multiple berths. But at some point, the cruise line should know and be able to give out that information.

On 8/16/2023 at 10:39 AM, Dobby36 said:

Sounds like a couple of you are on the sailing the first week of Sept, and in case you haven’t seen there is a roll call for this trip: 

i was also curious about finding the port entrance itself, as it seems some of the berths are quite far from one another and it’s not yet clear to me where the central processing area/terminal is, when I look at a map…

It looks like we will be berthed at Pier 30 according to the Port schedule I accessed in 

Just now, 1stItaly said:

It looks like we will be berthed at Pier 30 according to the Port schedule I accessed in 

Sorry, it posted before I was ready! lol  C2C posted a link to port schedule I looked at.  It also says there is transportaion for passengers and crew, but no other info.  Are you planning on just taking a taxi from our hotel?

23 minutes ago, Dobby36 said:

If you are asking me, I think we plan to just walk from our hotel (pending how we feel and the weather) as it is only half a mile or so, and we are capable of that with one luggage piece each. 

Thanks for the quick response Dobby36.  Looking forward to our time in Quebec city!  and all the cruise!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dobby36 said:

If you are asking me, I think we plan to just walk from our hotel (pending how we feel and the weather) as it is only half a mile or so, and we are capable of that with one luggage piece each. 

Walk to pier 30 or walk to pier 22? It is my understanding (but I could be wrong) that walking to pier 30 is not permitted because it is thru an industrial area.

16 minutes ago, jaapie said:

Walk to pier 30 or walk to pier 22? It is my understanding (but I could be wrong) that walking to pier 30 is not permitted because it is thru an industrial area.

If I click on rafinMD’s posted link above in this thread, the webpage of the port mentions the terminal is accessible by foot, but has a shuttle in operation during cruise times. I’ve never been, but I’d expect that means you can walk up to a certain point, and from beyond that the shuttle bus takes you the rest of the way? I’ve used similar busses at ports in Buenos Aires and Valparaiso and other industrial ports where the passenger cruises aren’t the principal operations (versus something like port Everglades being the opposite!)

144E4DEE-5237-4F7F-A438-69CDB00153A9.png

Edited by Dobby36
Typo!

59 minutes ago, jaapie said:

Yes you can walk but the long way round.  Last year we parked our car and tried to take the direct route to the ship.  We were blocked and had to retrace our steps.  

2 hours ago, Dobby36 said:

Are you familiar with your hotel location?  A half mile in Quebec City can be quite a hike through winding streets and down a steep slope 

38 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Are you familiar with your hotel location?  A half mile in Quebec City can be quite a hike through winding streets and down a steep slope 

I’ve been to Quebec City by land, but not our specific hotel.  We will assess when we arrive and figure out if it seems feasible. I’ve got no problem calling a car if need be, but if the weather is nice and we can get some steps in, sure!

• Like 1