NCL App / Use as babyphone

cavok

On all the cruises with our german friends (AIDA, TUI) we had the possibility to reserve a babyphone for free, or at a small flat rate.

That worked awesome. Via a dedicated part of the ship WIFI. Essentially a camera that could be set up in the stateroom and a paired mobile device which gave audio and limited video access to it.

Now, our kids are 6 and 3, so not exactly babies any more. Nonetheless, we always enjoy taking them to the buffet at like 6p.m., after which they go to bed, listening to fairy tales etc... while they let us go for a nice and relaxed dinner for two. Works perfectly well 🙂

Now, we're obviously wondering whether NCL offers something similar?

I read about the cruise norwegian app offering a flat messenger and phone package? However, i can't find any info about the cost and its limitations? Has someone used this the way we imagine? Will it allow to setup a permanent call between a device in the cabin and a mobile device? Or will that call drop real easily?

We'll be in port overnight at 3 locations, where landside mobile access might work, however would prefer a local to the ship solution of course...

Thanks for further information.

I believe NCL has children's clubs you can bring your kids to.  But what you are asking for, no NCL would not provide a baby monitor type system for your cell phone.
Different cultures.  

Different cultures, you bet 😉

Kids club doesn't quite cut it for this use case. Little one will be 2 weeks short of 3yrs, which often is the magic cut-off age being applied to the exact day. Let's see how NCL policy turns out.

Then they typically close at like 2100.

And last but not least, it would imply both kids wanting to spend time there, something we'll only see once we are onboard. Add in some potential language barriers. I'm sure we'll enjoy ourselves, irrespective of how we can organize.

• Like 1

I don't think you're going to find a similar option with NCL. You could purchase two WiFi accounts which should enable you to create a connection via an app like Skype (does Skype exist anymore), Teams, Zoom, etc. that would allow you to monitor. If it were me, I'd be worried that the internet connection would cut out, disabling the audio/visual. Perhaps it would reconnect, but it may not. 

Kudos to y'all for knowing you can leave a child alone for more than a minute and nothing bad is likely to happen!