Diamond Princess - Casual Dining issues

Moustique

We are currently on the Diamond Princess.  It is the first sailing after the changes.  We were happy to read that the Kai Sushi restaurant is now part of the «Casual Dinning» offering.  It looks like we are not the only one exited about this change.  As of 2 days ago, there was a fee to eat at Kai Sushi.  Suddenly, for a lot of people with a package, this restaurant is free. What do you think happened?  Long, long lines.  Because this is a sushi restaurant and nothing is prepared in advance, it takes a lot of time to have a meal in this restaurant.  It is obvious that the restaurant cannot manage the new demand.  As this is the only «Casual Dining» on this ship, we feel that we have paid through our package for a product that we wont be able to use.  Not a good feeling.  

Also, no Elite lounge.  Is this only on this ship or is this one more loyalty benefit being removed?

For the rest, the service is awesome.  The food is good.  This is our first time with a package.  I hate having to drink wine in those awful glasses. (We were always able to request Riedel in the dining room before).  We will bring our own wine glasses with us next time.

• Thanks 2

And I was excited to read that Ocean Terrace on Royal would be part of the package. I guess, I won't be along. But I hate lines, it is not how I would want to spend my vacation. Thank you for reporting. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

In March, there was an elite lounge.  Did they move it?  Skywalkers or Club Fusion.  

Funny, there is a line for Kai.  It sat empty when passengers had to pay for it.  

Just like the Specialty Dining restaurants, they could not accommodate all the free dinners that came with the Premier Beverage Package.  A win for Princess.  Offer something that not all can/will take advantage of.  Same for 2 desserts a day and 2 gym classes.  

I just had a chat with the crew concerning the Elite lounge.  It is still on but no longer advertised and no more listing of what appetizers are being served each day.  If it is not advertised anywhere, how do they expect people to attend?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moustique said:

I just had a chat with the crew concerning the Elite lounge.  It is still on but no longer advertised and no more listing of what appetizers are being served each day.  If it is not advertised anywhere, how do they expect people to attend?

The future cruise department is in charge of Loyalty events now and they produce the letter that should have been delivered to your stateroom on Day 1 outlining your particular loyalty tier benefits and lists the time and location of the Platinum, Elite, Suites lounge.

They have not printed the menus of what ‘nibbles’ are to be served for a long time. I believe since the restart in September 2021? Princess is attempting to reduce paper distribution. Some ships with longer voyages will list a menu in the lounge for about 7-8 days worth. This was provided on the Majestic Princess on my SYD to LA sailing this past April 2023.

We got no letter of any kind.  As for the nibbles menus, we cruised twice last summer and had them both times.  Maybe they could post it on the app?  Not a big deal, but a bit annoying.  Contrary to what others have said, loyalty does not mean much anymore.  There was a time when having « status » with Princess made a difference in the decision process.  Not anymore.  

1 hour ago, Moustique said:

We got no letter of any kind.  As for the nibbles menus, we cruised twice last summer and had them both times.  Maybe they could post it on the app?  Not a big deal, but a bit annoying.  Contrary to what others have said, loyalty does not mean much anymore.  There was a time when having « status » with Princess made a difference in the decision process.  Not anymore.  

So you have to ask, where it’s being held, times and a list of apps served?  SMH