Crown Princess Alaska Aug 15-25

blizzard44ca

On 8/17/2023 at 8:39 AM, blizzard44ca said:

Yes, we entered there, down to the level they have ground transportation (busses), but then we had to go down further (to P2) to leave our bags. They made everyone line up at an elevator as the only way to go down. (There was a stairway, which we took back up)

We are on the Crown on 15th of September. My hubby is disabled and I “think” I read somewhere you can drive right down to P2 level to drop off passengers and luggage. Can you confirm this please. Obviously would make it much easier for us. Thank you

19 hours ago, Scotmay said:

We are on the Crown on 15th of September. My hubby is disabled and I “think” I read somewhere you can drive right down to P2 level to drop off passengers and luggage. Can you confirm this please. Obviously would make it much easier for us. Thank you

We are on the 9/05 cruise and would like to know the same thing.

Just catching up with some final thoughts on the Crown Princess…

Salty Dog Gastropub: We ate here one evening instead of the dining room.  I was pleasantly surprised by the food - tasty and hot. The prix fixe dinner is two plates and dessert. A nice option.

Motion sensing cabin Lights: I don’t hate the idea, but they are a little too bright as a nightlight, and the side table ones are far too sensitive (triggering when you move the covers on the side of the bed) Some adjustments would improve things.

Cabin: Beds - horrible. No exaggeration that they are completely sagged and provide no support. No USB outlets in the cabin. Fridge was nice and cold.

New Cruisers: Only 142 Elites on the cruise, and over 1000 first Princess cruise.

Future cruises: I asked for the discount cruise sheet - will post separately. A little more emphasis on the selling and packages, but made up for by the fact you can actually talk to someone now. More people and more hours.

Inside Passage: We are taking the true inside passage (including Seymour Narrows) home.  I think when the itinerary does not include Victoria, you take the inside route.

Dining: there was Pub Lunch in the dining room, a couple of times.

Laundry: at least in the laundry room I used, tokens were not required. Simply push the empty slider in, and the machine will activate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8/23/2023 at 1:13 PM, Scotmay said:

I am not a Vancouver expert, but that sounds logical. We were walking in from the train station, so followed the ramp down to security/boarding level.  There are elevators to take you to/from the 3 levels required for baggage, check in, security.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, theloo said:

@blizzard44casorry to hear about the bed.  It seems to vary widely whether a cabin has gotten new beds or not.

I don't think the ship has new mattresses. I just think some cabins have mattresses that are worse than others. For various reasons - they may not wear at the same time. For example, some cabins may have been empty for years during the COVID years while popular cabins may have been used every night the ship sailed.

When they replace the mattresses, the entire ship gets new mattresses - though it maybe over a few weeks time period to deploy them all.

Edited by Coral

My hubby is hoping to bring his power wheelchair. Our son will be dropping us off at the ship in Vancouver ( where we live). Can we get right into the dock for easier drop off for my hubby. Do they make any allowances for the disabled. 

2 minutes ago, Scotmay said:

My hubby is hoping to bring his power wheelchair. Our son will be dropping us off at the ship in Vancouver ( where we live). Can we get right into the dock for easier drop off for my hubby. Do they make any allowances for the disabled. 

Those with disabilities usually have priority check-in. I would travel with a parent who was blind and had a Seeing Eye dog and we were always prioritized. The people at all the piers we were at were great (including Vancouver).

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Coral said:

Those with disabilities usually have priority check-in. I would travel with a parent who was blind and had a Seeing Eye dog and we were always prioritized. The people at all the piers we were at were great (including Vancouver).

Thank you!  I have been worried about this. He has travelled with his walker in the past, but now needs the chair. We are going to Alaska on the Crown in a few weeks’ time. 

2 minutes ago, Scotmay said:

Thank you!  I have been worried about this. He has travelled with his walker in the past, but now needs the chair. We are going to Alaska on the Crown in a few weeks’ time. 

Just make sure the power chair will fit through the door of your cabin. You cannot leave it out in the hall

17 minutes ago, memoak said:

Just make sure the power chair will fit through the door of your cabin. You cannot leave it out in the hall

I absolutely know this. His power chair collapses and turns sideways and will fit through the door. I made a point of buying a TRAVEL chair!  

• Like 3

Sort of yes, disabled passengers have "priority" boarding.

They are seated in a special section and board as attendants become available.  Sometimes there is a long wait.  There is no "elite/suite" priority boarding in disabled area.  It is first come first serve.

I have seen a wait of over an hour waiting for someone to wheel you aboard.  

2 hours ago, Coral said:

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Sort of yes, disabled passengers have "priority" boarding.

They are seated in a special section and board as attendants become available.  Sometimes there is a long wait.  There is no "elite/suite" priority boarding in disabled area.  It is first come first serve.

I have seen a wait of over an hour waiting for someone to wheel you aboard.  

Disabled passengers are seated in the priority area and board first with the elites.  There are normally plenty of attendants to push chairs but you wouldn’t need one with a power chair. This is for boarding at 11:00 when it begins.  If you come later there may be a wait if you need an attendant as they are busy going back and forth to the ships.  Disabled passengers also go to the front of the line for security and immigration.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Disabled passengers are seated in the priority area and board first with the elites.  There are normally plenty of attendants to push chairs but you wouldn’t need one with a power chair. This is for boarding at 11:00 when it begins.  If you come later there may be a wait if you need an attendant as they are busy going back and forth to the ships.  Disabled passengers also go to the front of the line for security and immigration.

This must be specific to this port.  Not my experience in other ports.  Glad to hear that there is wheelchair service in the elite section.  And yes, if you have your own device, you will not need assistance.

18 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This must be specific to this port.  Not my experience in other ports.  Glad to hear that there is wheelchair service in the elite section.  And yes, if you have your own device, you will not need assistance.

I have probably gone on 30+ cruises with a disabled parent (who did not need wheel chair assistance). We were also Elite. We were almost always the first people on the ship. We have boarded in LA, Vancouver, FLL, Miami, NYC, Quebec City, San Juan, etc.... Since I don't live near a port - we always have to go to a port.

In my experience, those with disabilities would go first, then Elite/Suite passengers.

We are usually at the pier early. I have never seen those who need wheelchairs wait but I have never gone to the pier later in the day. We are always there early.

Edited by Coral

29 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have probably gone on 30+ cruises with a disabled parent (who did not need wheel chair assistance). We were also Elite. We were almost always the first people on the ship. We have boarded in LA, Vancouver, FLL, Miami, NYC, Quebec City, San Juan, etc.... Since I don't live near a port - we always have to go to a port.

In my experience, those with disabilities would go first, then Elite/Suite passengers.

We are usually at the pier early. I have never seen those who need wheelchairs wait but I have never gone to the pier later in the day. We are always there early.

Thank you all for your help re: my  concerns with embarking at Vancouver with my hubby who is disabled. Thanks to your posts, we are now a bit more knowledgeable than before.  We are a couple who have cruised lots (don’t know how many) and we, I believe, have enjoyed all of them and intend to carry on cruising, and believe we can do it with a bit more thought, planning and equipment!  Thank you also for whoever posted the 50% discount list. I didn’t know there was such a thing. 

59 minutes ago, Coral said:

The key phrase here is that your parent did not need wheelchair assistance (as similar to OP).

For those who need wheelchair assistance (provided by Princess/San Pedro Cruise Terminal), you are sent to a location OUTSIDE the elite/suite lounge.  We were late getting to the port and missed priority boarding.  We had to wait downstairs for over an hour before getting a wheelchair to take us through security.  THEN another hour for Princess to pick us up and take us aboard.  My friend decided that she would walk slowly with her cane and we boarded immediately since I was Elite.  

I am glad to hear that this has worked out for you and your parents.  It may have been different if we had shown up at the port at 10 AM, but I doubt it.  

On 8/24/2023 at 2:53 PM, Coral said:

I don't think the ship has new mattresses. I just think some cabins have mattresses that are worse than others. For various reasons - they may not wear at the same time. For example, some cabins may have been empty for years during the COVID years while popular cabins may have been used every night the ship sailed.

When they replace the mattresses, the entire ship gets new mattresses - though it maybe over a few weeks time period to deploy them all.

i was on crown for 21 days alaska this summer...no complaints on my bed/matress...i was quite comfortable...no idea if new or what but worked for me

• Like 2