Aft Balcony Cabin Vibration on Nieuw Amsterdam?

Hogladyrider

Researching a B2B in Alaska 2025 on Nieu Amsterdam.   Wondering if anyone has had an aft balcony cabin and experienced any vibrations back there?

One cruise on Carnival we were in an aft balcony cabin and the vibrations from the engines were horrible, we could not sleep.

The aft balconies look a little more spacious and we spend quite a bit of time in our cabin and on the balcony.

I tried searching this forum and got way too many hits that were info on Amsterdam....guess too common a search name!

Thanks in advance.

Susan

1 minute ago, Hogladyrider said:

Researching a B2B in Alaska 2025 on Nieu Amsterdam.   Wondering if anyone has had an aft balcony cabin and experienced any vibrations back there?

One cruise on Carnival we were in an aft balcony cabin and the vibrations from the engines were horrible, we could not sleep.

The aft balconies look a little more spacious and we spend quite a bit of time in our cabin and on the balcony.

I tried searching this forum and got way too many hits that were info on Amsterdam....guess too common a search name!

Thanks in advance.

Susan

We were in an aft balcony cabin on deck 7 on the NA and did not notice any more vibrations than any other cabins.

We did have one rough night where the hangers were banging around in the closet. I just hung the robe over the hangers and tied the robe.

2 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

We were in an aft balcony cabin on deck 7 on the NA and did not notice any more vibrations than any other cabins.

We did have one rough night where the hangers were banging around in the closet. I just hung the robe over the hangers and tied the robe.

Thank you....I would not anticipate feeling any vibration being up higher than deck 4.

I have been in Nieuw Amsterdam aft balcony staterooms on six cruises with the latest for 14 days this May.  I am booked for 15 more days in an aft stateroom on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October.  As a hobby photographer, I sail exclusively in aft staterooms and especially in Alaska. 

I do not remember any vibrations and the sound of the propeller wake guaranteed each nights sleep to be a very soothing one.

• Like 2

We experienced "cavitation" on the NA leaving one port - really loud and shaking.

Apparently a phenomenon of the propellers, air bubbles, currents and the newer aft ducktail designs - can happen, but it is temporary.  

Was on another smaller ship on another line that was plagued with the same sounds, but it went on all night - like the beating of an uneven load in the washer on spin cycle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

We experienced "cavitation" on the NA leaving one port - really loud and shaking.

Apparently a phenomenon of the propellers, air bubbles, currents and the newer aft ducktail designs - can happen, but it is temporary.  

Was on another smaller ship on another line that was plagued with the same sounds, but it went on all night - like the beating of an uneven load in the washer on spin cycle. 

We had that on K'dam. Random slap bang noises in "following seas." In all my aft cabin cruises, I've never had anything that bad.

• Like 1

We love aft balconies and always try to book one.  We have been on the Nieuw Amsterdam in cabin 4180 twice- Alaska and the Caribbean  No problems sleeping or vibrations. 

FYI.  Cabin 4182 seems to have some type of ladder permanently attached to its balcony railing.  I would avoid that cabin due to that.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ColonyGirl2 said:

We love aft balconies and always try to book one.  We have been on the Nieuw Amsterdam in cabin 4180 twice- Alaska and the Caribbean  No problems sleeping or vibrations. 

FYI.  Cabin 4182 seems to have some type of ladder permanently attached to its balcony railing.  I would avoid that cabin due to that.

I think that's window cleaning machinery.

5 hours ago, ColonyGirl2 said:

We've been in that cabin a couple times and were never bothered by that ladder. Never saw anyone on it and never had uninvited guests on our balcony. Might need to adjust camera angle to keep it out of pictures.