Escape Haven Second Bedroom

Wombservice

Good morning, all!

My husband and I are on the Escape in September and have booked the Haven 2 Bedroom Family Villa.  Originally 1 single adult traveling with his teenage daughter were in the second bedroom, but they ended up canceling….we replaced them with another young couple.

My question :  What is the actual size of the foldout couch - twin, full or queen?  There is a drop-down bed above.  And if you’ve requested a mattress topper, how comfortable (or uncomfortable!) is that sofa bed?  I’m also aware the living room sofa pulls out - what’s the sleeping size on that?

Thanks so much!!

Glad to see this pic, we are also traveling on the Escape in the 2 bedroom with another couple. We have had the 2 bedroom before but was just the wife and I. Sofa bed looks like it can accomadate 2 people 

With one (or two) extra pads it's not bad.  The downside is with the once-a-day attendant service they're leaving the bed out 24/7.  It makes the room a "little tight".  However, if they're using it only to sleep, it's not so bad.  I haven't used the sofa bed in the living room, but I would imagine it's similar in comfort as the trundle.  DH and I are sailing Epic this December and have booked a two-bedroom family suite as we like to have the second bed made up for nap time.  The room stays nice and dark.

13 minutes ago, Girr said:

With one (or two) extra pads it's not bad.  The downside is with the once-a-day attendant service they're leaving the bed out 24/7.  It makes the room a "little tight".  However, if they're using it only to sleep, it's not so bad.  I haven't used the sofa bed in the living room, but I would imagine it's similar in comfort as the trundle.  DH and I are sailing Epic this December and have booked a two-bedroom family suite as we like to have the second bed made up for nap time.  The room stays nice and dark.

I believe you still get turndown service in the Haven unless they've taken that away too!

2 minutes ago, Grimix said:

I believe you still get turndown service in the Haven unless they've taken that away too!

Two times per day still! For now...better stay if they're charging us $25 per person, per day for the service charge, but we all know NCL.

• Like 1

Every ship may be different, but I know in the Epic Haven the bed in the second bedroom was made the first day on our July cruise, and they continued to leave it out the entire cruise.  Cabin attendant did come by later in the day and made sure we had towels (even did a few towel animals), but overall the second service was cursory.

Considering how many cabins the stewards have I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it.  I'd be interested to hearing from others who've recently sailed in a two-bedroom suite to hear their experience. 

1 minute ago, Girr said:

Every ship may be different, but I know in the Epic Haven the bed in the second bedroom was made the first day on our July cruise, and they continued to leave it out the entire cruise.  Cabin attendant did come by later in the day and made sure we had towels (even did a few towel animals), but overall the second service was cursory.

Considering how many cabins the stewards have I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it.  I'd be interested to hearing from others who've recently sailed in a two-bedroom suite to hear their experience. 

I sailed in April on the Joy and we had our teen daughter out on the sofa bed in the aft suite. Bed was put away each morning and also taken out at night. 

Love, Love, Love this room. The luxury of a full separate bed / bathroom is amazing. Yes, it is smaller than the main bedroom, but it is very cozy and well-appointed. The pullout is quite comfy with the mattress topper - have spent a number of nights there when kiddo preferred to cuddle with my husband (in his pre-teen years...now he wants nothing to do with either of us 😄).

Is it as soft as a "real" bed - no. But it's easy to get in and out of, and fits two average-sized adults. It can be a challenge though for the "inside edge" sleeper as they do have to crawl over the "outside edge" sleeper if they need to use the facilities at night.  When tucked away as a couch the room space is good. Bathroom is surprisingly large with storage though if I remember correctly the outlets are in the 2nd bedroom wall by a shelf. There is also an adequate amount of drawers / shelves and closet space in the bedroom for 2 adults for "average" packers on a 7 days cruise. If you needed more space, the main bedroom / bathroom does have a ton of storage.

The living room is a great place to hang out for the 2nd couple if they need a little more breathing space. Actually...that's the only complaint with the smaller bedroom is that it can get a little stinky if the bathroom is used as the "number 2 room" (as my kiddo refers to it). A little poopouri or solid air fresher takes care of that problem though. 

You can go to Youtube and see lots of examples, but I recommend Harr Travel's Youtube review - very detailed. Your friends are lucky your other family dropped out...they will have a wonderful time!

Warmest Amy

• Like 2

@amygutman, thanks so much - that was exactly information I was looking for!!!!  It’s hard to see on the videos how much storage is in the room (even the Harr travel video kind of glosses over that), so hearing about it from someone who’s been in there is soooo helpful 👍🏻
 The other couple with us is actually one of my other sons and his wife - who are both quite tall - so we’ll have to see who of us gets the short end of the stick! 😉

You have restored my faith in this cabin though, thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Two times per day still! For now...better stay if they're charging us $25 per person, per day for the service charge, but we all know NCL.

There is definitely still twice a day service in the Haven.  I actually look at it as constant service between the steward and the Butler.  Almost too much service.  In my three times in the Haven, it was rare to walk down the hall without one of them being there and asking if we needed anything.  😂

as far as making up the bed, just let your steward know your preference.  I travel often with a girlfriend.  She prefers to just keep the bed made up in the second bedroom so it’s ready for a nap whenever she felt like one.  😃. But they will turn it back into a sofa,  just need to ask.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wombservice said:

@amygutman, thanks so much - that was exactly information I was looking for!!!!  It’s hard to see on the videos how much storage is in the room (even the Harr travel video kind of glosses over that), so hearing about it from someone who’s been in there is soooo helpful 👍🏻
 The other couple with us is actually one of my other sons and his wife - who are both quite tall - so we’ll have to see who of us gets the short end of the stick! 😉

@Wombservice Anything to help out the person with by far the coolest user name on CC.

One thing that may be helpful as well are an inexpensive set of small cloth storage bins to put on the shelves in the 2nd bedroom. Very helpful for things like socks, undies, swim goggles, etc. Amazon Basics Cloth Drawer Storage Organizer Boxes, Set of 6, Gray is about 12$ US and we have used a set for many cruises. Also great for the bathroom to store toothbrushes, hairbrushes and toiletries if you do not have a Dopp kit. They pack flat, take up little space and clean easily. Our housekeeper liked our set so much that on our last Pearl cruise we gave them to him when we packed up. 

Amazon Basics Cloth Drawer Storage Organizer Boxes, Set of 6, Gray

Warmest Amy

9 hours ago, amygutman said:

@Wombservice Anything to help out the person with by far the coolest user name on CC.

One thing that may be helpful as well are an inexpensive set of small cloth storage bins to put on the shelves in the 2nd bedroom. Very helpful for things like socks, undies, swim goggles, etc. Amazon Basics Cloth Drawer Storage Organizer Boxes, Set of 6, Gray is about 12$ US and we have used a set for many cruises. Also great for the bathroom to store toothbrushes, hairbrushes and toiletries if you do not have a Dopp kit. They pack flat, take up little space and clean easily. Our housekeeper liked our set so much that on our last Pearl cruise we gave them to him when we packed up. 

Amazon Basics Cloth Drawer Storage Organizer Boxes, Set of 6, Gray

Warmest Amy

Thanks for that tip @amygutman - I always use packing cubes on my cruises to stay organized, but these might be a better option for this cabin!

Susan

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wombservice said:

There is not much storage. Small closet. Small shelf. The biggest challenge is to ditch the suitcases for the passengers in the room. We just end up piling them in the small closet (we hate leaving them in the living room because the whole suite ends up looking messy). It is not really a bed, so it is pretty uncomfortable (at least to an old old person like me). Not sure how old the your son and his wife are, but they will probably be fine... call it camping. There is a weight limit on the pullman, but if they are going to snuggle on the sofa, that is not an issue. Probably would be "nice" to share the master bathroom shower/tub since the 2nd BR has a standard balcony bathroom. O.K. if you are just using the toilet or brushing your teeth, not so good if you are big and tall in the shower. 

We had a similar room on the Breakaway last year and the grandkids got the 2nd BR. Our neighbors had 6 adults (mom, dad and 6 grown kids) in a similar room... they took advantage of a guests 3-6 sail free offer,,, so for the cost of mom and day, the kids sailed free.  

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

“The biggest challenge is to ditch the suitcases for the passengers in the room. We just end up piling them in the small closet (we hate leaving them in the living room because the whole suite ends up looking messy).”

I did think of this, also (I hate clutter!). Might we just be able to slide all of them under the main bed?

And thanks @BirdTravels for your input!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wombservice said:

I did think of this, also (I hate clutter!). Might we just be able to slide all of them under the main bed?

And thanks @BirdTravels for your input!

@BirdTravels not sure about your experience, but we have been able to get 3 suitcases plus three empty backpacks under the main bedroom bed without any difficulty. I suspect you could get at least one more suitcase if you "Jenga'd" it. The two closets would probably fit another 2 suitcases each on the floor. 

I know one cruiser famously bragged about having over 10 suitcases for a 21 day cruise (can't recall the poster's name, darn it...it was months ago on I believe a tipping thread). Cannot imagine where they would store all of those cases. 

We have taken the advice of many before us: pack your bags then take out half. Take advantage of the mid-week laundry deal (or free with some Latitudes levels)!

Warmest Amy

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, amygutman said:

@BirdTravels not sure about your experience, but we have been able to get 3 suitcases plus three empty backpacks under the main bedroom bed without any difficulty. I suspect you could get at least one more suitcase if you "Jenga'd" it. The two closets would probably fit another 2 suitcases each on the floor. 

I know one cruiser famously bragged about having over 10 suitcases for a 21 day cruise (can't recall the poster's name, darn it...it was months ago on I believe a tipping thread). Cannot imagine where they would store all of those cases. 

We have taken the advice of many before us: pack your bags then take out half. Take advantage of the mid-week laundry deal (or free with some Latitudes levels)!

Warmest Amy

Yup. You can get 4 bags under the main bedroom bed. But that assumes that you can unpack all of the kids stuff and they do not need access to it. Otherwise, they are underfoot at the most inopportune times.

• Thanks 1