Noise from crew access doors on Viking Ocean?

Havaianas

Hi all, I’m new to these boards and to Viking Ocean, in process of selecting cabin on our first Viking cruise. Having sailed other lines, we have twice had noise issues from crew access doors (to/from service stairs) directly opposite our cabin. These doors are heavily used for obvious reasons and often slam shut behind busy crew. I don’t blame the hard-working individuals but would rather avoid those locations in future.

I’ve scanned the boards (and scoured the internet) and found various references to Viking Ocean laundry locations being relatively quiet - but nothing on precise locations of crew access doors. Does anyone out there know?

To be more specific, the areas we’re looking at are on decks 5 and 6 … my best guess is to avoid 5020-27, 6012-19 and 5074-81 and 6066-71 … but it would be very helpful if someone could correct that and/or narrow down the ranges. Even better, tell me that the doors don’t slam on Viking so I’m worrying over nothing!! Thanks for your help.

• Thanks 1

I never even knew there were crew access doors across the hall from staterooms until i saw them open one time.  Never noticed slamming noise from them.  However we have noticed guest stateroom doors noisily slam.  We became very conscious of catching our own door and quietly closing it so as not to be those annoying guests.

• Like 5

This is from the doorway on Mars room number 5042, so 5044 was also directly across from those two doors.  

We thought both doors had a noticeable slam.  Maybe as much a vibration as the noise.  We sailed BIE last September and with all of the delayed luggage issues in Amsterdam and London throughout the summer MANY people brought fewer clothes so the launderette was busy from day 1 on the ship.

The crew door was pretty quiet after 10 at night, but laundry seemed to be busy several hours later.

I hope this helps.

IMG_4518.jpeg

2 hours ago, Havaianas said:

the areas we’re looking at are on decks 5 and 6 … my best guess is to avoid 5020-27, 6012-19 and 5074-81 and 6066-71 …

If it’s any help, we did the 2019 WC in 6013 and never heard a thing.  Our hard of hearing neighbor’s TV, yes.  Crew doors, never.

Thank you for your replies

Tayana, we are also careful never to slam our cabin door. On my first 20 cruises I didn’t worry about crew access locations … until we ended up directly opposite a crew door that was left to close hard dozens of times a day (and several times a night) by diverse crew from cleaning to room service to maintenance. Imagine an inconsiderate neighbour slamming their door that frequently and you get the idea!

whitbob & SantaFe1, thank you for the very helpful specifics 

If crew are slamming a particular door, advise guest relations.  On other cruise lines I have seen a sign added to the crew side of a door saying Recent Noise Complaint Crew are reminded to close this door.  Do not leave it to slam.  I saw it on Embarkation day and never heard a thing all our cruise so it certainly worked. 

So I would go ahead choose a room and if there was an issue, address it at the time

• Like 1

Thanks uktog, that’s interesting info about the sign and good advice. The second cruise it happened to us, I did mention to reception and they responded well.

Having said that, we currently have a wide choice of cabin locations and have never sailed with Viking - so I thought I’d try to remove one potential issue up front!

On our Homelands cruise last fall on Jupiter we stayed in 4123, an aft cabin.There is a main crew access door right across the hall and we never heard any noise from it.  The aft hallway did get a bit clogged with cleaning and supply carts at times but it was quiet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Havaianas said:

Thanks Linda. On your six cruises did you ever stay near a crew access door, and if so do you remember where that was?

We have always stayed in forward cabins on deck 5 or 6. In July on Saturn we were right across the hall from a crew access door and never heard a peep. There’s very little activity on the pax floors so I think you’ll be fine.

11 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

We have always stayed in forward cabins on deck 5 or 6. In July on Saturn we were right across the hall from a crew access door and never heard a peep. There’s very little activity on the pax floors so I think you’ll be fine.

That’s very reassuring, thanks Linda

Just off Mars. Our cabin was across from one of those doors. Never an issue.

That said, we were not near the Laundry. That may be a totally different thing. I did meet a passenger in the laundry one day. Get to talking, they specifically chose the cabin directly across the laundry. Seems they like being close. So, maybe even there is not much of an issue. 

2 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

Just off Mars. Our cabin was across from one of those doors. Never an issue.

That said, we were not near the Laundry. That may be a totally different thing. I did meet a passenger in the laundry one day. Get to talking, they specifically chose the cabin directly across the laundry. Seems they like being close. So, maybe even there is not much of an issue. 

We have been across from the laundry several times (4050). No more noise from that door than from any of the other cabin doors nearby. Some people are just too self-absorbed to consider others around them. 😒

We are in 4050 again next April for 37 days. Betting the laundry room door won't be the one most frequently allowed to slam! 

On 8/18/2023 at 9:28 AM, Havaianas said:

Hi all, I’m new to these boards and to Viking Ocean, in process of selecting cabin on our first Viking cruise. Having sailed other lines, we have twice had noise issues from crew access doors (to/from service stairs) directly opposite our cabin. These doors are heavily used for obvious reasons and often slam shut behind busy crew. I don’t blame the hard-working individuals but would rather avoid those locations in future.

I’ve scanned the boards (and scoured the internet) and found various references to Viking Ocean laundry locations being relatively quiet - but nothing on precise locations of crew access doors. Does anyone out there know?

To be more specific, the areas we’re looking at are on decks 5 and 6 … my best guess is to avoid 5020-27, 6012-19 and 5074-81 and 6066-71 … but it would be very helpful if someone could correct that and/or narrow down the ranges. Even better, tell me that the doors don’t slam on Viking so I’m worrying over nothing!! Thanks for your help.

Was in 5076 last year on Sea.  Cannot remember any crew door noise or any other pax door noise.

Booked again in same 5076 in Dec on Star.

We had friends in 5044, across from laundry.  They said they really didn't notice door noise. (I asked).

10 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

...they specifically chose the cabin directly across the laundry. Seems they like being close. So, maybe even there is not much of an issue. 

We did the same thing on our last cruise, Rome, Adriatic & Greece; my sweet wife likes to do laundry, and enjoyed being able to access the laundry late at night when nobody else was using it. The door was just across from us, and we never heard anything. Then again, we don't spend a lot of time in our stateroom, except after dinner when things are quiet.

On 8/18/2023 at 1:52 PM, LindaS272 said:

Linda - we also like forward cabins on 5 and 6!   We also were on Saturn (as you know) in June and right nearly across from crew access door.  We were in 6011.  First I was worried, but there was not much activity except 8-8:30 when we were off to breakfast or going off the ship!  

• Like 1