Advice on cruising solo as a younger widow/widower (esp NCL)

pookel

So I went on my first cruise in January with my husband on NCL. We had a great time and I bought 4 CruiseNext certificates and we were planning to cruise regularly. But then he died suddenly in April and I guess I'm a solo cruiser now. I'm starting to look at my next cruise but I'm not sure what I would enjoy by myself. I'm not looking to meet singles romantically but I do want people to hang out with! 

I'm 46, and I'm not used to traveling by myself. I'm kind of shy and introverted and I'm worried about ending up in a situation where I'm just bored and lonely on a ship for a week or more. Any advice on best ships, destinations, types of cruises for having a good crowd to hang out with?

@pookel

I'm sure others will have suggestions about ships, destinations, and such, but I'm writing to applaud you for your positive attitude. After such a tragic and unexpected loss, many people---especially women---go into a shell, in some cases never to emerge (I know people like that). You're still young and you obviously still want to enjoy life. With your attitude, you'll do fine no matter what specific choices you wind up making.

Good luck!

Jim

1 hour ago, pookel said:

So I went on my first cruise in January with my husband on NCL. We had a great time and I bought 4 CruiseNext certificates and we were planning to cruise regularly. But then he died suddenly in April and I guess I'm a solo cruiser now. I'm starting to look at my next cruise but I'm not sure what I would enjoy by myself. I'm not looking to meet singles romantically but I do want people to hang out with! 

I'm 46, and I'm not used to traveling by myself. I'm kind of shy and introverted and I'm worried about ending up in a situation where I'm just bored and lonely on a ship for a week or more. Any advice on best ships, destinations, types of cruises for having a good crowd to hang out with?

I’d recommend something like an Italy Greek isles itinerary.  I did both Caribbean and Mediterranean cruise solo a few years ago and had a much better time with the the Italy/Greece itinerary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

I’d recommend something like an Italy Greek isles itinerary.  I did both Caribbean and Mediterranean cruise solo a few years ago and had a much better time with the the Italy/Greece itinerary.

I'm interested in cultural/historical sites much more than beaches, so that does sound like a nice idea. I worry about the expense though.

@pookel

My husband passed 19 months ago (12/21) and I am now booked for my first solo cruise in Jan ‘24 on the Regal Princess out of Galveston. I’m nervous but know that for me it is time to venture out again. I absolutely LOVE to cruise and haven’t been on a ship since 2019.  Since we were on the Regal for our last cruise also, it gave me a good feeling to be able to use her to restart my cruising journeys. 

I was the “cruise planner” for us so I am re-learning some of the things I did before since there will only be me. My husband was unable to walk or stand for more than 10-15 minutes at a time so we had a scooter for him to use. I will admit that it is easier to plan the trip without having to worry with that! (Old habits are hard to break though and I find myself still taking into consideration his comfort, etc.)

Here are my thoughts on deciding to go solo this first time based on how I have faced/reacted to all the other “firsts” since he died:

1. The first time for anything is always the worst and most painful and I am going to be sad and crying at times--that’s a given. (Each time I repeat the occasion though, it seems to be a little bit easier.) For this reason, I wanted to go solo so if I want or need to cry, I can do so without anyone worrying over me. If they were, then I’d just be more upset that I was upsetting them. This way, I can do what I want/need to do in private and when it eases up, I can just go right back out and continue as before. 
2. We live in AL so we always drove to the cruises in FL. Going out of Galveston will be a new experience for me and I have decided to fly which with only having to pay for my ticket will make it far more affordable (won’t have to pay parking fee, gas, mileage, fewer hotel room fees, etc.) Galveston is a 10 hour drive from me but a non-stop flight is only 1.5 hrs!!

I had talked with one of the Princess reps and he told me that they get a listing of the cruises which have reduced amounts of solo supplements and so I called and said I was ready to find something and which times of the year I was interested in. While we were looking at one cruise he decided to look at another one for comparison and he found the one I booked which had NO supplement! Even better, he could get me a deluxe balcony instead of the inside I thought I would have to get! Since we always had a handicap room and hubby wouldn’t accept it unless it was a balcony, I figured I was going to have a BIG adjustment this time with an inside. 😉

Anyway, I hope you have a good trip and find new ways to enjoy yourself.

• Like 3

Welcome to solo cruising, @pookel, my brethren!  It is so much better than the I-could-never-do-that-people could imagine and my preferred way to travel.  🙂  You can be who you want to be- social, reserved, mysterious, and do what you want to do- shows, dinner, karaoke, gamble, dinner again.  You don't have to pretend to enjoy something, just get up and do something else 😄  Plus there are a LOT more solos on board than you realize, we are all just busy having the time of our lives, in whatever way that may be.  

NCL is a fantastic choice for solo cruising.  Their meetups are actually attended- solo and Cruise Critic meet and mingles, they have a staff host that will arrange reservations for solos to eat together, they have fantastic solo deals, and the most cabins designed for solos- studios with private access to a studio lounge.  Hop over to the NCL category and run a search for studio or solos, you'll see quite a bit.
I'll be in my first studio cabin on the Epic this October, cruising through the Med for my first trip to Europe.  Prices are extremely reasonable and there are a lot of cabins left.  You should check it out.

As a final note, if you are feeling alone and having trouble chatting up fellow cruisers, talk to the staff.  I have met some of the most amazing people from all over the world doing this.

Happy cruising!

• Like 3

Go for it!  I have been on 8 solo cruises since my husband passed.  When Dave was living he said “I like my own company! “ Oh we loved being together and I still miss him every day but I have adopted his attitude.  I do like my own company!  I am not one to join groups and/ or want to sit with others at dinner.  I like doing my own thing.  This being said, most people are very approachable while playing trivia, dropping some quarters in the slot machines, or sitting and enjoying a beverage listening to music.  I have made several acquaintances to see and greet around the ship without having to commit to doing things or meeting them for dinners, etc.  I bring books, load up my IPad with Netflix and sit in a public area in side or out, enjoy a cocktail and watch the world go by.  Also, it pays to shop around.  Many times the solo cabins on various lines end up being pricier than a higher class cabin, even if you are solo.  Good luck and happy cruising!

• Like 2

On 8/18/2023 at 10:12 AM, pookel said:

I'm sorry your husband departed on another mission early.  🙏  I'm sure someone had their reasons.

Be sure to take some time to think about what you enjoyed about your cruise in January without your husband.  If there was little or nothing there, then perhaps it's time to look at the refund clause in your certificates.  If you think you can enjoy yourself without him, then you probably can.  The crew and the other cruisers will help if you let them.

I don't have much advice for ships, destinations or types of cruises except to perhaps consider ships with studio cabins and their solo lounges.  Those cabins are small, but they might meet your needs.

Good luck with whatever you decide from a fellow introvert. 🥰

On 8/18/2023 at 4:27 PM, MaryMc19 said:

Go to the solo get togethers. I was afraid it would be a meeting for singles looking ro hook up, but mostly it was other solos wanting to share a dining table and maybe a shore excursion, or not.

Example #102345 of Why We're All Different.  This kind of get together would be of little use to me, since I have more interest in the former than the latter two items.  I keep advocating for cruise lines to have one or more special "single and ready to mingle" sessions, but they don't listen to me. 🤬

On 8/19/2023 at 7:14 AM, Love2cruise#2 said:

@pookel

My husband passed 19 months ago (12/21) and I am now booked for my first solo cruise in Jan ‘24 on the Regal Princess out of Galveston. I’m nervous but know that for me it is time to venture out again. I absolutely LOVE to cruise and haven’t been on a ship since 2019.  Since we were on the Regal for our last cruise also, it gave me a good feeling to be able to use her to restart my cruising journeys. 

I was the “cruise planner” for us so I am re-learning some of the things I did before since there will only be me. My husband was unable to walk or stand for more than 10-15 minutes at a time so we had a scooter for him to use. I will admit that it is easier to plan the trip without having to worry with that! (Old habits are hard to break though and I find myself still taking into consideration his comfort, etc.)

Here are my thoughts on deciding to go solo this first time based on how I have faced/reacted to all the other “firsts” since he died:

1. The first time for anything is always the worst and most painful and I am going to be sad and crying at times--that’s a given. (Each time I repeat the occasion though, it seems to be a little bit easier.) For this reason, I wanted to go solo so if I want or need to cry, I can do so without anyone worrying over me. If they were, then I’d just be more upset that I was upsetting them. This way, I can do what I want/need to do in private and when it eases up, I can just go right back out and continue as before. 
2. We live in AL so we always drove to the cruises in FL. Going out of Galveston will be a new experience for me and I have decided to fly which with only having to pay for my ticket will make it far more affordable (won’t have to pay parking fee, gas, mileage, fewer hotel room fees, etc.) Galveston is a 10 hour drive from me but a non-stop flight is only 1.5 hrs!!

I had talked with one of the Princess reps and he told me that they get a listing of the cruises which have reduced amounts of solo supplements and so I called and said I was ready to find something and which times of the year I was interested in. While we were looking at one cruise he decided to look at another one for comparison and he found the one I booked which had NO supplement! Even better, he could get me a deluxe balcony instead of the inside I thought I would have to get! Since we always had a handicap room and hubby wouldn’t accept it unless it was a balcony, I figured I was going to have a BIG adjustment this time with an inside. 😉

Anyway, I hope you have a good trip and find new ways to enjoy yourself.

What a lovely response. My first “proper” solo cruise is coming up in November ( I travelled with friends shortly after my husband passed, but had the balcony cabin we had booked to myself) I took my favourite photo of him with me and talked to him to let him know what I’d been up to during the day. I’ve done other solo trips since then, maybe a weekend here and a week there just to get used to taking a holiday solo. Trust me, each time is a bit easier. I’m not an extrovert, I’m happy with my own company so I only dip in and out of activities I’m interested in. Oh, take a book with you if you dine solo. You can peek over the top of it and eavesdrop to your heart’s content. It won’t be the same, but it will be what you make it. Wishing you many happy cruises

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend that you try a river cruise.  My husband recently passed away.  We had a river cruise planned for May, which we did not get to take.  I love to travel, and needed something to look forward to.  I just returned from a river cruise of the Douro.  I did travel with a friend, but I felt that I would be comfortable traveling solo.  It is very easy to meet people on these small ships,  Every night before dinner, they have a   "sip and sail" and you feel very comfortable joining other people.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry for you loss.  I lost my husband the same time you did and it is hard to go it alone.  My hand was forced to do a solo sailing a little before I wanted to but Dave made me promise him I would take our 50th wedding celebration we had planned. It was difficult but amazing.  I was on the Queen Mary 2 and they treated me like royalty.  My tablemates were so kind and supportive (did not know them before).  I still keep in touch with them and in fact I am meeting a couple in NYC for a sailing to New England/Canada that I met on that sailing.  Yes you will shed many tears but let them flow and then move on.  I love having my own cabin so I do not think that I can share a cabin again but I love to met people on board.  Go have an awesome time and look for your next adventure.  Cruising is a great way to see Europe.

• Like 3

On 8/18/2023 at 9:12 AM, pookel said:

I did my 1st solo cruise last year & have done several since.

I am SO sorry for your loss, but applaud you for wanting to put yourself out there.

NCL does a GREAT job of daily Solo meet ups. Best I've seen on the cruises I've done solo.

I popped in one day; perhaps about 25 there, playing 2 Truths & a Lie to get to know one another.

Wide variety of ages from 30s-70s, men & women.

They have tables reserved at various restaurants each night & you can sign up to sit with other solos.

You may find you hit it off & hang all week...or not.😉

Even as an extrovert, I enjoy tucking myself in a corner & reading. 

I get to know the crew at various bars & they take care of me. That adds the pleasure of my cruise.

You might consider the Solo cabins on NCL as you get access to the Solo lounge--another opportunity to meet others.

Excursions--consider your personality. Would you rather explore on your own, or join an excursion?

I have met others on excursions...and sometimes not as much.

Your first cruise will be melancholic. Expect it & lean into it. Give yourself lots of grace.

And enjoy.

Happy travels.

• Like 4

On 8/18/2023 at 9:15 AM, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Could you expand a bit on why the Italy Greek Isles itinerary was a better time for you as a solo?  I am currently booked on an Alaskan cruise as a solo but am always looking for new cruise locations.  Thanks.