Comparing Silversea and Seabourn

USCAdventurer

• March 17, 2016
  • Scottsdale, AZ

•  

i am booked on two crysta cruises now and i had an experience with a crytstal river criuise, which was fabulous and at least a 10 star experience.  however, i have no knowledge of these two cruise lines.  there are so many experienced luxury travelers on this website, i was hoping i could get some opinions that might help me decide if i would like to travel on one of them.  i am a solo traveler and i have always had a cabin with a veranda.  however, i have booked two solo passenger cabins with crystal becasue their veranda pricing for a solo passenger is quite high.  i know how wonderful crystal is and will be but i hope that some people can give me their impressions, pro and con, about these two cruise lines.

thank you

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Comparing Silversea and Seabourn

I am a solo traveler, like you. I also require a veranda. I have traveled on all three lines you mention.

For me, one of the great attractions of Silversea is the availability of reasonable single fares.  

You might want to look at this site:

https://www.silversea.com/best-luxury-cruise-deals/single-occupancy-supplements.html

You will see that there are lots of very reasonable supplements available for veranda cabins. Obviously, as the cruise fills up the supplements may increase in cost. I try to book early.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

thanks so much for the single supplement booking information.  its good to know that i can still get a veranda cabin at a reasonable price.  

and yes, i did find the post on seabourn about comparing the two lines.  thanks for pointing that out to me.

15 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:
    •  i am booked on two crysta cruises now and i had an experience with a crytstal river criuise, which was fabulous and at least a 10 star experience.  however, i have no knowledge of these two cruise lines.  there are so many experienced luxury travelers on this website, i was hoping i could get some opinions that might help me decide if i would like to travel on one of them.  i am a solo traveler and i have always had a cabin with a veranda.  however, i have booked two solo passenger cabins with crystal becasue their veranda pricing for a solo passenger is quite high.  i know how wonderful crystal is and will be but i hope that some people can give me their impressions, pro and con, about these two cruise lines.

Greetings and a warm welcome to this USC fan as the Trojans join the BIG "Ten" and will be better connected with those of us in the Midwest.  

Having done cruises with both Seabourn and Crystal, plus six with Silversea, the broad generalization is there are more similarities than differences in comparing these three lines.  Yes, things change and evolve.  The various ships can be a little different, depending on their age, size, etc. Little differences do exist, maybe.   For us, much is about, first and foremost, the destination and ports.  Silversea has more ships than either Seabourn and Crystal.  Therefore SS can offer a wider variety of different ports, timings, etc.  

Plus, requiring "serious shopping" to compare for the "best value" in pricing, when you are booking, specials for singles costs, etc.  To give an answer that lawyers often offer, they will say: "It depends".  Also, once on board with each of these luxury lines, it is important as a customer is to simply . . . "ASK".  Don't be shy once on board.  If wanting a special meal, service, etc., just inquire to the staff.  Most crew like creative customers with interests that challenge them to provide better and higher levels of service.  

Hope this background helps.  Keep researching and planning.  Good luck!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals, Our firsts in these scenic areas!  Now at 19,638 views. Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

I have done 90 days on Silversea but only 14 on Seabourn, all in a Veranda.  Seabourn would get more of me if their solo supplement was not routinely 150%.  I can usually book Silversea at 125%, then if things go well, subtract Venetian discount and onboard booking discount.

That being said, I had a marvelous time in Alaska last year on Seabourn:  I sat at hosted tables all but 2 nights, invitations were in my suite by lunch and I RSVPd.  Food was fab (except desserts which were lacking flavor), bourbon selection was better than Silversea.  It did take me a couple of nites to figure out the menu.  Glacier Bay was phenomenal.  

While some do not like it, I find Silversea Door-to-door comfortable.  Once I am in the Blacklane car, I am taken care of and nothing is my problem.  When my flight was delayed coming home this February, I knew my Blacklane driver had to fight DC rush hour, not me.  Also a hotly debated topic is the dress code and I enjoy a few nights of glitz on Silversea.  And more than a few nights of caviar!  The Grill is fun for dinner and the pizza really is good because sometimes you just need pizza, wine, and gelato.

Trying Regent next year for the first time as a solo.  Go for the itinerary that speaks to you.

Welcome to the Big Ten!  Missy, living in Maryland but still has a Penn State heart. We Are!