Super organised - all speciality dining and shows booked for Iona at the stroke of midnight!

bronzevernis

11 hours ago, bronzevernis said:

I wish I could say that our fares were cheap! Standard balcony cabin for 7 days came in at £2.5k (select fare) - booked back in April. The "extras" have cost another £750 (wifi package, refresh drinks package, excursion and speciality dining). This is definitely an expensive holiday for us. 

We could not just not afford nor justify some of the prices of other cruise lines - Celebrity and RCL prices were eyewateringly expensive.

Select fares are not cheap, they used to have benefit of first choice of dining all you get now is the cabin you want. Perhaps select should have some dining priority in booking fixed table in MDR, and also a couple of days start on booking speciality restaurants.  Of course people will say it's not fair. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Yep that's the way of the world, some people go on cruises, some can't afford any sort of holidays. 

Prior to the app, you booked on board, Suites , Liguirian,  Baltic got first dibs, so it's never been equall. Perhaps if P&O rationed booking they might take a pragmatic commercial approach, giving priority to highest paying and loyalist passengers as it used to be. Restricting pre booking to select fares, to encourage people to pay more. Be carefull what you wish for.

Not much point in worrying about what's wished for when an awful lot of people aren't getting in to these places anyway. 

3 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Select fares are not cheap, they used to have benefit of first choice of dining all you get now is the cabin you want. Perhaps select should have some dining priority in booking fixed table in MDR, and also a couple of days start on booking speciality restaurants.  Of course people will say it's not fair. 

Works for Disney! Stay on property bookings open at 120 days compared to 90 days for everyone else.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Fortunately we don't feel the need to book speciality restaurants, to make our cruise truly fulfilled, so we are happy to pick up the crumbs. We do find that the Beach House can usually be booked if you visit the main desk while it's open,  although not every day and not at anytime. The glass house similarly you can often find a table, but you do need to visit the restaurant rather than use the app. Similarly with the Olive Grove you can often find an available slot by visiting the main desk, and I understand that a visit to Epicurean or Sindhu can often find an available time slot, but personally I find them both very overrated.

But I do think that the way the app booking system is currently being operated is grossly unfair, and in the end can only foster resentment on those who either don't know how the system works, are not very computer savvy or have a very late check in time, and I don't mind stirring up the Hornets nest one little bit.

I agree with your sentiments.

A simple solution would be to restrict bookings for each speciality restaurant to one per cabin prior to embarkation and during the first two days of a cruise. This would enable most people who want to dine there to make a booking. After that open season could be declared. Saga operate a similar policy on their ships and it works.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Denarius said:

A simple solution would be to restrict bookings for each speciality restaurant to one per cabin prior to embarkation and during the first two days of a cruise. This would enable most people who want to dine there to make a booking. After that open season could be declared. Saga operate a similar policy on their ships and it works.

I don’t actually want to eat in the MDR for dinner. The quality and presentation of it doesn’t look very appealing - certainly from watching plenty of YouTube videos. That and the online bun fight to queue etc. 

If I was restricted in being able to book SD for the duration of the cruise, I probably wouldn’t have booked one. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, bronzevernis said:

I don’t actually want to eat in the MDR for dinner. The quality and presentation of it doesn’t look very appealing - certainly from watching plenty of YouTube videos. That and the online bun fight to queue etc. 

If I was restricted in being able to book SD for the duration of the cruise, I probably wouldn’t have booked one. 

Agree, unfortunately if they restricted speciality restaurant bookings doubt if they would treat it as a significant change and allow you to cancel. 

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

The big difference between Saga and P&O is Saga restaurants are not extra cost. Historically the extra cost has controlled demand on P&O, it looks like this is no longer working. Saga by the way is not 100% strict with its only one booking per cabin , Butlers seem to be able to book more than one. Yet on P&O @megabear2 mentioned heard a couple in a Suite complaining that their butler could get them in anywhere at all.

P&O will only do something if it looks as if they are loosing valuable business. The people more likely to abandon them are those paying select in dearer cabins and suites, who aren't used to the queues and for whom the price difference with other lines is smaller.  The people P&O don't want to loose.

The big question, do they ration and if so how. Logically they should restrict booking in advance to select fares, completely inline with historical , first choice of dining sitting for select.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, bronzevernis said:

Whilst understanding your sentiments if your cruise has 5,000 people onboard and have the same idea how would you handle that one? We are buying a product with a food offering included - MDR and buffet - the speciality restaurants were never designed to be used by everyone onboard.  To facilitate your idea the MDR's would have to become the speciality restaurants.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I sympathise.  It's a myth that all P&O cruises are cheap, they most certainly aren't for everyone.

I cancelled a booked Christmas Caribbean cruise on Arvia for this year as the price based on an ordinary balcony cabin with economy flights was over £7,300 for two.  It has been replaced with a Celebrity cruise, admittedly a day shorter for a £1,500 less, same balcony cabin, flights included and a two day stay in Fort Lauderdale. We were lucky to take advantage of a very good 75% off second passenger offer and also a drinks/dining and wifi offer making the deal far better than the P&O offering. 

Apart from one or two exceptions it is the two big ships with their repeat itineraries which are offering the bargain fares and if you delve into these the select fare offerings on anything other than an inside they are still not bargain bucket priced. In a strange way all this talk of "cheap" is based on individuals' lifestyles and income.  £100 to some is loose change to others its a fortune.  I'm reminded of the then Chancellor Geoffrey Howe in 1982 having his trousers stolen containing his wallet whilst on a train when he stated he only lost a small amount of loose change - it was £150 at a time when the UK average weekly wage was £154!

It is very easy for those among us who can afford Saga, Cunard, Celebrity etc to say P&O are "cheap" but for people such as yourself that is clearly not the case.

Hopefully Mr Howe had a spare pair of trousers with him!  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Agree, unfortunately if they restricted speciality restaurant bookings doubt if they would treat it as a significant change and allow you to cancel. 

All rather academic and abstract in my case  as our cruise is in 12 days time and I’ve booked all our speciality dining! No other cruises planned or booked either. 

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Whilst understanding your sentiments if your cruise has 5,000 people onboard and have the same idea how would you handle that one?

That’s exactly why I booked all our speciality dining bang on midnight when bookings opened! 

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Agree, unfortunately if they restricted speciality restaurant bookings doubt if they would treat it as a significant change and allow to cancel

That's what I said today to PO. We have been sold a cruise on the understanding that we can book select venues before we sail. It is on their sales pitch as you wait for someone to speak to you so have now heard it what seems like 100 times.

On Britannia at the moment we can not and seems unlikely that we will be able to. Due to flight times we will arrive last and it is likely that there will not be any select dining times left. Is this not a major change that is not our fault ?

As you will probably notice I am on a mission with this one as it so unfair to those of us on Britannia.... especially if you have paid a select fare. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

That's what I said today to PO. We have been sold a cruise on the understanding that we can book select venues before we sail. It is on their sales pitch as you wait for someone to speak to you so have now heard it what seems like 100 times.

On Britannia at the moment we can not and seems unlikely that we will be able to. Due to flight times we will arrive last and it is likely that there will not be any select dining times left. Is this not a major change that is not our fault ?

As you will probably notice I am on a mission with this one as it so unfair to those of us on Britannia.... especially if you have paid a select fare. 

The select dining venues on Britannia in May that could be booked prior to sailing were Epicurean and Sindhu, but the Glass House and Beach House were "enquire onboard". Can you not book any at all before sailing now?

Just now, CarlaMarie said:

The select dining venues on Britannia in May that could be booked prior to sailing were Epicurean and Sindhu, but the Glass House and Beach House were "enquire onboard". Can you not book any at all before sailing now?

That is so odd - no none in May for our cruise in May 2023 and who knows for January 2024. I was told today that only ONE cruise on Britannia in JULY 2023 had been able to book select dining other than the Limelight and it didn't sound hopeful for January 2024. It is 'under review' -- whatever that means.

I am now rocking and may bang my head against a wall. I feel like they have no idea what is happening. If someone would give me a reason for all of this inconsistency then it may make me feel better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

That is so odd - no none in May for our cruise in May 2023 and who knows for January 2024. I was told today that only ONE cruise on Britannia in JULY 2023 had been able to book select dining other than the Limelight and it didn't sound hopeful for January 2024. It is 'under review' -- whatever that means.

I am now rocking and may bang my head against a wall. I feel like they have no idea what is happening. If someone would give me a reason for all of this inconsistency then it may make me feel better.

What on Earth is going on?! There are far too many inconsistencies and this is the most frustrating thing for passengers. I hope you get some answers soon. Like I've said before, there were inconsistencies onboard that my parents found - advertising that the Glass House would allow walks ins, yet they weren't allowing them; and advertising that you could book a table for later on in the cruise, but again they were not allowing that either.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I suggest you search all the different threads, collate the examples of differing things happening, explain in detail your own cruise on Britannia and make a list.

Once you have all.that information adjust it to be third party so as not to.identify the originator and send the whole lot as a numbered list to the Executive Office.

I suggest emphasis is placed on the imminent final payment date and basically ask how the receiver of the email expects you to part with your money with no idea what you're buying.

It's tiring but if you research here and on Facebook.and Feefo you should be able to.build a very thorough picture.

If you are getting that stressed now it may be worthwhile.

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I suggest you search all the different threads, collate the examples of differing things happening, explain in detail your own cruise on Britannia and make a list.

Once you have all.that information adjust it to be third party so as not to.identify the originator and send the whole lot as a numbered list to the Executive Office.

I suggest emphasis is placed on the imminent final payment date and basically ask how the receiver of the email expects you to part with your money with no idea what you're buying.

It's tiring but if you research here and on Facebook.and Feefo you should be able to.build a very thorough picture.

If you are getting that stressed now it may be worthwhile.

And preparing for a cruise used to be the most exciting part for me ........  supposed to be on holiday from the day job and chillaxing

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

And preparing for a cruise used to be the most exciting part for me ........  supposed to be on holiday from the day job and chillaxing

Problem is we are still 4 1/2 months away which to you is something to work on but to P&O is still a long way off.  I'm not going to stress too much once I get the Retreat sorted.  The dining will be sorted for me as we eat early and I'm fully aware the medical stuff is correctly listed.

As it's a very special trip for you it's understandable you are worried.

Running to the Exec is extreme in my opinion on this, and most, issues.  It'll only get passed down and take days to get anywhere and to the right person, adding to the frustration and stress.  And you just end up with a standard politicians reply that won't help.

If you want some info out of me, I'm subject to Freedom of Info requests, then the pleasant ones get resolved within a couple of days, the obscure even quicker.  The real pedantic ones, or ones that have bounced back and getting ruder in tone take a longer time and are replied to nearer the end of the statutory requirement.  Ones sent via my CEO and land on my desk, and I'm six levels down from them, get the bare minimum in response and detail, by the time the info is sent back up and put into proper grammar it becomes even more corporate and meaningless. 

My record is a reply in six minutes from someone wanting some info so they could complete a safety assessment to adopt a cat.  We all have soft spots.

Do P&O do passenger forums where things like this can be discussed openly and sensibly with both sides prepared for a bit of give and take?

8 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

Running to the Exec is extreme in my opinion on this, and most, issues.  It'll only get passed down and take days to get anywhere and to the right person, adding to the frustration and stress.  And you just end up with a standard politicians reply that won't help.

If you want some info out of me, I'm subject to Freedom of Info requests, then the pleasant ones get resolved within a couple of days, the obscure even quicker.  The real pedantic ones, or ones that have bounced back and getting ruder in tone take a longer time and are replied to nearer the end of the statutory requirement.  Ones sent via my CEO and land on my desk, and I'm six levels down from them, get the bare minimum in response and detail, by the time the info is sent back up and put into proper grammar it becomes even more corporate and meaningless. 

My record is a reply in six minutes from someone wanting some info so they could complete a safety assessment to adopt a cat.  We all have soft spots.

Do P&O do passenger forums where things like this can be discussed openly and sensibly with both sides prepared for a bit of give and take?

I deal with issues frequently and am at the top in terms of accountability. I would never approach anyone in an inappropriate way so don't worry I can write a personable email and would not want to do anything else. I can do give and take ... 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Red Leicester said:

In P&Os case there are actually a team of people in that office who actually reply in the 28 days, unlike following the normal customer service route. As the person in question has asked in writing and in telephone calls many times over the months and received to date four different and various replies, the suggestion was made for her to ask someone in that team which policy/reply is correct.  It's not unreasonable surely to seek reassurance and clarity before spending what for her is a large sum of money on a once in a lifetime event.

Unfortunately she has been stressing about the issues for some time to the point where she even considered cancelling her cruise.  That all seems rather unfair on her for the sake of a definitive reply that can allow her to make an informed decision.  

Your organisation sounds as if wouldn't even need someone to consider actions like the one being considered as you seem to seek to assist and reply.  

• Like 1

Is there a forum for P&O and their passengers?  If not could there be?  Bus and rail certainly have them.

Issues like advanced booking could be discussed with a cross section of cruisers.  Where issues are flagged then P&O can say this can be fixed, this can be partially fixed or this can’t be fixed.  I find the latter is equally as important as the fixed as at least then everyone knows where they stand. 

Edited by Red Leicester

Do you mind me asking how much these speciality dining restaurants cost? Are they all a set price per person like someone mentioned for Epicurean earlier in the thread?

At the moment these aren’t available to book as we’re longer that 2 weeks out but I’d rather plan ahead and not have to be deciding which ones we’re going to at midnight once we’re able to book (and presumably the prices are shown at that point). 

also, are there childrens menus in any of these speciality restaurants? Ours are at an age whether they can go for either menu but just useful to know whether a childrens menu is an option. 

10 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

We were on Britannia in July and the only thing we could book pre-cruise was the Limelight Club. Thankfully we get priority boarding due to our loyalty tier, so could book everything else as soon as we boarded, but that’s not an option in the case being discussed by @Presto2 so I can understand their frustration. 

• Like 3