STARLINK Internet

cruisetilidrop

2 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

Thanks for your responses.  When we moved, no internet provider was in our new location, so we used our Motorola smartphone hotspots.  Sounds like this is how it would work on a cruise ship.

If I understood your earlier post, you were sharing your cell data. If you do that on a cruise ship, you'll end up with a zillion dollar bill. Try it at home first sharing just a WiFi connection.

1 minute ago, ecs66 said:

Thanks for your responses.  When we moved, no internet provider was in our new location, so we used our Motorola smartphone hotspots.  Sounds like this is how it would work on a cruise ship.

You can test it at home. Have one of you forget your home wifi, then put their phone on airplane mode (but turn wifi back on). The other one then goes into airplane mode with wifi on, and turns on their hotspot. If the person who forgot their home wifi can connect, it will work on board too. 

If you don't want the hassle of forgetting your home wifi, go to a coffee shop and just have one of you connect to the wifi, then turn off cellular data on both and try the hotspot.

11 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If I understood your earlier post, you were sharing your cell data. If you do that on a cruise ship, you'll end up with a zillion dollar bill.

LOL!  No, not cellular.  The bill WOULD be a monster!  Sharing wifi.  I mentioned cellular only because at our home, in order to use the hotspot, it connected via Verizon cell.  On the ship, that would be different as wifi comes from the ship's wifi (I think it's called Medallion...?) and the internet package you signed up for.

11 hours ago, Spudd said:

Have one of you forget your home wifi

What do you mean when you say to "forget" home wifi?  Forget password / login?

Technology, especially cellular, with cruising can be complicated.  Accessibility is so much better than it was 15, or even 10, years ago.  Sister did a 14-day trans-Atlantic earlier this month on Caribbean Princess, and we communicated via WhatsApp.  It was consistent, and strong -- like she was next door.  I'm sure that simple wifi calling from her cell would've been fine, too.

For years, my job was to create flow charts, and do process mapping for a global company.  If I still had my Visio program, I'd put together a flow chart that would help (me) make better sense of it.  Some say "airplane mode on", some say "airplane mode off".  Some say to turn roaming off and some say to turn roaming on.  Some say to do this or that when you're in port, and then do something else leaving port.  It's a little bit funny.  The only thing that wouldn't be funny is to look at your next Verizon bill if you forget to tweak one thing along the way.

I realized later that you don't need to forget the home wifi, just disconnect from it, on the person who will be "receiving" the wifi from the other person. Then try to connect to whatever the sender has named their hotspot.

Just make sure your cellular data is off.