STARLINK Internet

cruisetilidrop

I do not know the roll out schedule.

But it was introduced on the Island Princess in June and had already been on several other ships by then.

By the way, whether it is Starlink of the older technology, be aware that the satellite sends the data to a ground station and when you sign on to a web site, you are considered as being located where that ground station is.

So if the ground station is in Lagos, Nigeria (as it was during part of our recent Princess cruise), the web site you are going to will think that is your location and any sign-in from Lagos might be considered to be an illegal attempt to gain access to your account.at that web site.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cruisetilidrop said:

I know STARLINK internet is coming to Princess ships. Has it been installed to all ships yet? If not, which ones. Thank you

Here is a link to a huge thread from a few months ago re Starlink performance on specific ships. It's pretty long but you may be able to find someone with knowledge of Starlink status on the ship you are interested in. We're on the Discovery in a few months and it looks like it was one of the first to get the system.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

So if the ground station is in Lagos, Nigeria (as it was during part of our recent Princess cruise), the web site you are going to will think that is your location and any sign-in from Lagos might be considered to be an illegal attempt to gain access to your account.at that web site.

Interesting point! Yet another reason to use a VPN. Yes, using a VPN is a tad slower but it's better than not being able to access your accounts at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, beg3yrs said:

Interesting point! Yet another reason to use a VPN. Yes, using a VPN is a tad slower but it's better than not being able to access your accounts at all.

I'll let other chime in with details, but I've read reports here on CC that using a VPN on a Princess ship can be problematic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

I do not know the roll out schedule.

But it was introduced on the Island Princess in June and had already been on several other ships by then.

By the way, whether it is Starlink of the older technology, be aware that the satellite sends the data to a ground station and when you sign on to a web site, you are considered as being located where that ground station is.

That eliminates my internet provider. 

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I'll let other chime in with details, but I've read reports here on CC that using a VPN on a Princess ship can be problematic.

Well, I have had issues with VPN on my phone as it messes up access to the MedallionNet/OceanNow so that's a good consideration. The VPN forces traffic to the VPN server and the ship's system has trouble with that.

However, I have had zero issues using a VPN on my laptop where I don't access MedallionNet/OceanNow but do access online email and financial stuff.

21 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Well, I have had issues with VPN on my phone as it messes up access to the MedallionNet/OceanNow so that's a good consideration. The VPN forces traffic to the VPN server and the ship's system has trouble with that.

However, I have had zero issues using a VPN on my laptop where I don't access MedallionNet/OceanNow but do access online email and financial stuff.

How do you access the Internet if you don't access MedallionNet. Isn't that the portal TO the Internet? I only use a laptop/tablet onboard but haven't tried a VPN yet.

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

How do you access the Internet if you don't access MedallionNet. Isn't that the portal TO the Internet? I only use a laptop/tablet onboard but haven't tried a VPN yet.

Well that's why I couched it with /OceanNow. It's really the OceanNow access on the ship that's messed up with the VPN. MedallionNet is Princess' term for their WiFi which includes access to OceanNow (no Internet access required for that when on the ship) and then the portal for Internet access.

32 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Well that's why I couched it with /OceanNow. It's really the OceanNow access on the ship that's messed up with the VPN. MedallionNet is Princess' term for their WiFi which includes access to OceanNow (no Internet access required for that when on the ship) and then the portal for Internet access.

OK, got it, thanks for the clarification. I never use OceanNow but am on the internet quite often during a cruise with the "always on" service. I'll try accessing NordVPN when we're on the Discovery in a few weeks. It's something I haven't really tried in a few years, and back then I was unsuccessful.

10 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We are currently up in Alaska on the Ruby and the StarLink is working quite well!  

By that comment, I'm to assume that you can download movies or make video calls anytime of day?

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

By that comment, I'm to assume that you can download movies or make video calls anytime of day?

We just returned from Northern Europe on the sky, the Internet worked like land Internet, you forgot you were at sea

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sailaway2joy said:

Currently on the Caribbean Princess in the Labrador Sea.  About 36 hrs from Nuuk Greenland.  Starlink is working great!   We are sharing a 4 device plan. 

Great to hear that.  Last year on that cruise we had no internet for days on end after we left Sydney (and our stop in Nuuk was canceled due to winds).  So it seems better than before.

19 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

19 hours ago, lx200gps said:

OK, got it, thanks for the clarification. I never use OceanNow but am on the internet quite often during a cruise with the "always on" service. I'll try accessing NordVPN when we're on the Discovery in a few weeks. It's something I haven't really tried in a few years, and back then I was unsuccessful.

These posts are twigging something in my mind from reading something a while back.

The answer may be to have the VPN on for a laptop (or phone when accessing WWW), and then turn VPN off when using Princess Medallion App on the ship which is internal usage only and no WWW.

Currently on Sky Princess. Location- umm somewhere in the middle of the North Sea. Don’t ask specifics. I’ve no idea 🤷‍♀️ 😂 

Internet since we got on the ship has been really good. I’ve not tried to watch videos but browsing has been great. No delays in loading pages at all.

IMG_0813.thumb.png.99ee7e07d684a1eff5439bd257bd453f.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

These posts are twigging something in my mind from reading something a while back.

The answer may be to have the VPN on for a laptop (or phone when accessing WWW), and then turn VPN off when using Princess Medallion App on the ship which is internal usage only and no WWW.

That's pretty much what I do except I only turn on the laptop VPN when I'm doing something financial or I need a site to think I'm somewhere else (rare). I also rarely use the phone VPN as my WWW browsing on it is usually limited to a quick search, news check or look at the weather.

Thanks for boiling it down so succinctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

That's pretty much what I do except I only turn on the laptop VPN when I'm doing something financial or I need a site to think I'm somewhere else (rare). I also rarely use the phone VPN as my WWW browsing on it is usually limited to a quick search, news check or look at the weather.

Thanks for boiling it down so succinctly.

;o) In may case that's a guarantee of problems with my bank, which I haven't found a way around yet. If I try to access any of our bank or trading accounts through their website via  my VPN (Nord), regardless of location (home or on the road), their security system senses an attempted breach from an unknown location and denies access, even if I'm at home.

We just used the Sapphire’s Starlink WiFi in Alaska for two weeks and had service regardless of how remote or how far north we were. Used it to get into all of our financial accounts with no issue, and even streamed video (though not much, because we weren’t on the ship that long). I made and received phone calls using WiFi calling with no latency at all. I posted multiple pics to a blog at a time with no delay. I was really amazed, since in the same geographic area on the Majestic two years earlier I didn’t even bother paying for internet the second week because it was useless. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Currently on Sky Princess. Location- umm somewhere in the middle of the North Sea. Don’t ask specifics. I’ve no idea 🤷‍♀️ 😂 

Internet since we got on the ship has been really good. I’ve not tried to watch videos but browsing has been great. No delays in loading pages at all.

IMG_0813.thumb.png.99ee7e07d684a1eff5439bd257bd453f.png

Can confirm streaming videos works great. 

Hopfully we’ll continue to get good service in the Fjords but am expecting it to not be as good there 

• Like 3