STARLINK Internet

cruisetilidrop

12 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

Can confirm streaming videos works great. 

Hopfully we’ll continue to get good service in the Fjords but am expecting it to not be as good there 

Thanks. Prior to Starlink, streaming was only possible in the middle of the night. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, worldtraveller said:

Does the Regal have Starlink?

A month or two ago I saw here someone on the Regal posted a speed test showing Starlink, so I believe it does. I think it was one of live/review threads.

Edited by Y21
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I’m currently on grand princess Internet works just fine South Pacific- yesterday I was able to access YouTube TV without even using a VPN but now it says that It can’t get access cause it can’t find my location so I tried to use the VPN did all kinds of work around it’s not working I don’t know if I’m being blocked with a VPN. I don’t remember that every problem before but it was before starlink

IMG_9657.png

Edited by BeachBum777

Regal had the old slow internet in April. I'm going again in December, hope it has Starlink. I was on Starlink with royal Caribbean and it worked great. 

On royal i was able to use my laptop as a mobile Hotspot in the stateroom. Then I could easily get the firestick and Nintendo online without web browsers login. 

Edited by Pinballs83

9 hours ago, Pinballs83 said:

Regal had the old slow internet in April. I'm going again in December, hope it has Starlink. I was on Starlink with royal Caribbean and it worked great. 

On royal i was able to use my laptop as a mobile Hotspot in the stateroom. Then I could easily get the firestick and Nintendo online without web browsers login. 

There are multiple threads out there on starlink and internet on Princess ships.  I’m pretty sure I read on one of them this week that the last ship or two were in the process of installing starlink.  You should be fine in December. 

20 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

There are multiple threads out there on starlink and internet on Princess ships.  I’m pretty sure I read on one of them this week that the last ship or two were in the process of installing starlink.  You should be fine in December. 

Yes, all Princess ships now have Starlink

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 6:02 AM, lx200gps said:

I'll let other chime in with details, but I've read reports here on CC that using a VPN on a Princess ship can be problematic.

Used Starlink while in Estonia.  Had no issues until I fired up my VPN.  Took a while to fix settings to work.

On a TA the speeds were about 3mps at times.  20 others.

• Thanks 1

We have Starlink at home and we used it on a recent HAL cruise.  The home service is fast, but jittery at times with I believe latency to be the culprit.  I am hoping for improvement as more satellite "trains" are launched over time. It may not solve the latency problem, but might give me a more seamless signal.  On the ship, it was really great (at least for HAL/Rotterdam).  Way better than any Wi-Fi used on past sailings on any line. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is it still possible to switch between devices for the internet plans?

Let's say I have a 1-device plan, and needs to connect to my laptop by kicking my phone offline?

Remember it was possible years ago, so just wants to know if it is the same recently

Thanks a lot

2 hours ago, ben.chan said:

Let's say I have a 1-device plan, and needs to connect to my laptop by kicking my phone offline?

Remember it was possible years ago, so just wants to know if it is the same recently

Thanks a lot

It is a simple process. Still possible. A month ago I was switching back and forth between phone and iPad.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ben.chan said:

Thanks a lot

Very easy! When you fire up the second device the system senses that your one device allocation is in use and asks if you wish to disconnect it in order to connect the current device. 

• Like 2

Jus

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Very easy! When you fire up the second device the system senses that your one device allocation is in use and asks if you wish to disconnect it in order to connect the current device. 

Just use your phone as a hotspot, then no need to switch 

• Like 2

My laptop has a mobile hotspot that can forward the ship wifi to multiple devices (works great in the stateroom).  I noticed my phone S10+ has this feature as well.  The issue with the S10+ is the mobile hotspot only works when the phone is out of Airplane mode.

My question is.... Can i turn off mobile data, turn off airplane mode and turn on mobile hotspot.   With those settings if someone sends me a text message or a phone call at sea, will I incur a big charge?  Or does having mobile data off block texts and phone calls like airplane mode?

Edited by Pinballs83

• 6 months later...
On 10/21/2023 at 2:45 PM, antsp said:

Just use your phone as a hotspot, then no need to switch

On 10/22/2023 at 10:44 AM, Pinballs83 said:

My laptop has a mobile hotspot that can forward the ship wifi to multiple devices (works great in the stateroom).  I noticed my phone S10+ has this feature as well. 

Warning:  Probably a stupid question....

Doesn't a device have to be connected to cellular before a hotspot can be active?   Or can WiFi be shared hotspot-to-hotspot? 

For example, on a ship, if I am connected to the ship's WiFi on my cell, I can turn on my hotspot, then I can use my laptop simultaneously by connecting to my phone's hotspot?  (I understand the two devices would need to be physically close to each other.)

When we moved, we had no Internet provider for a month, so we relied on our phones' hotspots.  They got their "energy" (not a technical term, I'm sure) through the Verizon cell towers.  

1 hour ago, ecs66 said:

Doesn't a device have to be connected to cellular before a hotspot can be active?   Or can WiFi be shared hotspot-to-hotspot? 

Wi-Fi systems can either act as a client OR an access point. Since the Wi-Fi cannot simultaneously perform both roles, you will have no way to share your Wi-Fi.

8 hours ago, ecs66 said:

Warning:  Probably a stupid question....

For example, on a ship, if I am connected to the ship's WiFi on my cell, I can turn on my hotspot, then I can use my laptop simultaneously by connecting to my phone's hotspot?  (I understand the two devices would need to be physically close to each other.)

When we moved, we had no Internet provider for a month, so we relied on our phones' hotspots.  They got their "energy" (not a technical term, I'm sure) through the Verizon cell towers.  

Not necessarily. Some cell phones can connect to WiFi and share it via a hotspot. Same with laptops. Setting up a travel router is another option.

56 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Some cell phones can connect to WiFi and share it via a hotspot. Same with laptops.

That's what I thought.  I've read so many comments on CC that people do this all the time -- even streaming movies through Firestick, etc., when piggy-backing on to another's hotspot device.   I didn't think they were making it up.

6 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

That's what I thought.  I've read so many comments on CC that people do this all the time -- even streaming movies through Firestick, etc., when piggy-backing on to another's hotspot device.   I didn't think they were making it up.

Some Android phones have this capability. My husband and I have Google Pixel phones and they both can do it. My friends have Samsungs and they couldn't (they had a Bluetooth sharing thing but they couldn't get it to work). Apparently no iPhones can do it.

8 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

Any Google Pixel phone -at least all of mine.

1 minute ago, Spudd said:

Some Android phones have this capability. My husband and I have Google Pixel phones and they both can do it. My friends have Samsungs and they couldn't (they had a Bluetooth sharing thing but they couldn't get it to work). Apparently no iPhones can do it.

Oh yes, maybe.

https://asianetbroadband.in/how-to-use-wi-fi-and-hotspot-at-the-same-time/

1 minute ago, Spudd said:

Samsung has the ability, but it seems to want cell connections enabled. IF you have Google Fi as your provider, it won't connect to the ship's cell (at least mine doesn't), so you don't have to be in airplane mode, and it will work. Again, only if you have Google Fi as the provider. As always, your mileage may vary.

3 minutes ago, Spudd said:

Some Android phones have this capability. My husband and I have Google Pixel phones and they both can do it.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Any Google Pixel phone -at least all of mine.

Thanks for your responses.  When we moved, no internet provider was in our new location, so we used our Motorola smartphone hotspots.  Sounds like this is how it would work on a cruise ship.