Saint Greg's Alaska Jewel - Live - August 28, 2023

Saint Greg

4 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I don’t think they do the fish thing on this ship.

IMG_4046.jpeg

I could have sworn the Jewel had the fish. Darn it! By any chance do those pointy pieces on the right point forward? It's unlike NCL to not have a visual. I saw some other carpet on what I think was a new ship and it had triangles. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Uff da said:

I could have sworn the Jewel had the fish. Darn it! By any chance do those pointy pieces on the right point forward? It's unlike NCL to not have a visual. I saw some other carpet on what I think was a new ship and it had triangles. 

I’ve never seen this carpet on ncl. It looks like a dog pointing the way to me

• Like 5

18 hours ago, luvcruzing said:

image.jpeg.b902c950835ad1e18206a5eac5bbed57.jpeg

Have you noticed the tables have more than a couple of inches between them?

Yes especially in Palace. In Azure I had a time where I was basically at the same table as the table next to me but there was at least enough room to walk between the tables.

They must have fewer tables than carnival. Yet there’s no wait, no line. I’ve had 15 people in front of me twice. I don’t know what the difference is. Maybe having O’Sheehans open for breakfast. 

Dinner time they just have a lot of speciality restaurants for a ship this size. It may be closer to sunshine class which I haven’t been on. 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Uff da said:

I think I’m facing the back of the ship but I’d have to confirm. I get turned around a lot. Spinaker being in the front screws me up because it’s like the lounge in the back of carnival ships.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I think I’m facing the back of the ship but I’d have to confirm. I get turned around a lot. Spinaker being in the front screws me up because it’s like the lounge in the back of carnival ships.

Yep, I get it. I get twisted around sometimes too. But, I love me a good observation lounge on NCL. That's one of my favorite things. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Uff da said:

Yep, I get it. I get twisted around sometimes too. But, I love me a good observation lounge on NCL. That's one of my favorite things. 

The problem I’ve found with it is you go there for a presentation and most of the people in there arent there for the presentation and you can’t hear the speaker over the other conversations.

• Like 5

Oh the CD mentioned last night that tonight’s production show they will close off the aisles when the show starts. So if you weren’t at comedy last night you may not know that. They also cut off beverage service 5 minutes before each show. 

• Like 8

For those who don’t know on a 7 day carnival cruise there would be 4 comedians…Two on the front end and two I the back end. Newer ships have 6-8 There would be a night in the middle with no comedy. But other than that pretty much four 30 minute shows a night in the comedy club and sometimes a late night showcase in the main lounge with two comedians doing 15mins each.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 11

For MDR I like NCL better. I do wonder if I’d get bored with the menu if I cruised with them a lot. On the breakfast menu there are only 2-3 items that change. With 2-3 versions of the menu. I noticed much of the dinner menu is the same every night as well. 

I would say the carnival steakhouse is higher quality but they aren’t giving them away for free with a booking either. I think they’re up to $48. 

I never tried the other specialty restaurants because when I looked at the menus, i just felt they wouldn’t be as good as the steakhouse. Kind of like offering you cucina or the steakhouse on carnival. You would go steakhouse 10 out of 10 times.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 9

Entertainment I prefer carnival. I’m a big comedy fan. I did like that acrobatic show. That’s something I wouldn’t get on carnival unless it was a new ship or a journeys (9+ day) cruise. But I needed more of that to make up for the comedy. A juggler, a magician…

in room TV NCL. Sports CCL. If sport24 is the only sports station on NCL ships, football season is out of the question for me and NCL.

• Like 13

On 8/30/2023 at 12:22 PM, Saint Greg said:

I love Love LOVE the Bircher Muesli on NCL.  Every line has something I love.  My next two are on CCL Panorama to finally get to Platinum with them.  I would have been there in 2020 but Covid.

I also love Celebrity in Alaska - mainly because of the naturalists and lectures.  

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm disappointed in the MDR menu's for dinner. I don't seem much that looks good to me. And not happy about the NFL situation. We shall see what October and Encore brings. Great review, thank you for taking the time out of your vacation for us.

• Like 4