Question About Excursions on Actual Day of Partial Transit

Vettebuf

Our cruise is showing excursions for the time period that we go through the canal but not for the time period that we are in Colon. I'm wondering if people actually get off and on the ship while we're going through the canal? That seems odd to me. I guess it doesn't happen while the ship is raised. Can anyone explain the process?

From the minimal information you’ve provided, I’m going to assume that you are on a partial transit of the Canal, going through the locks on the Atlantic side. If so, when your ship is in Gatun Lske after going through the locks, guests will be able to disembark and take ship-sponsored shore excursions.  Or, they may remain on board as the ship turns around and goes back through the same locks, then docks in Colon, waiting for the guests who took shore excursions to return. 

That’s how it works on a partial transit of the Canal (from the Atlantic).  Again, I’m guessing that’s what you’re on. If you’re not, please provide more information about your itinerary. 

Thank you so much,Turtles06. Sorry I didn't give you all this information but you guessed correctly! So does if one takes a shore excursion, do they only get to experience the feeling of the ship being raised

but not lowered?

20 minutes ago, Vettebuf said:

Thank you so much,Turtles06. Sorry I didn't give you all this information but you guessed correctly! So does if one takes a shore excursion, do they only get to experience the feeling of the ship being raised

but not lowered?

One of the excursions that will likely be offered is one in which you will board a small ferry-size vessel and go through the original locks on the Pacific side, which will not only allow you to see more of the Canal, but also give you a very different experience than going through locks in a huge cruise ship. And if the cruise ship you are on is one that can only go through the new locks, such an excursion will also allow you to experience the original locks (which I think many of not most folks here consider to be more interesting).

To answer your question— if you take an excursion that does not involve transiting more of the Canal then yes, you will only experience bring “stepped up” in the Atlantic locks. You don’t really “feel” the ship being raised, though, it’s a slow process and a big ship. 😊

There’s a good deal of information in this forum about the small boat excursion I mentioned. 

And before your cruise, I highly recommend that you read David McCullough’s masterful book “The Path Between the Seas.” You’ll appreciate the Canal even more. 

If you are wishing to experience more of the Canal other than one of the two locks on the Atlantic side, the shore excursion Turtles is referencing is an excellent choice.  Going through the original locks on a smaller vessel is different than what you will experience when you lock up on your ship.  Even though you will be lifted roughly 85', there is little sense of movement.  It will be much more apparent on a smaller vessel.

While staying on the ship for the passage back through the locks and the short sail to Colon is enjoyable, you are only seeing about 8 miles of a 50 mile Canal.  Take the opportunity to see more of the Canal and a little of the country as well.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This is such helpful information. I read David McCullough's book and I've been set on going through the historical locks. Alas, the cruise that fit all my other interests is on Ruby Princess and uses the new locks. I've been studying the excursions and unsure what they are offering. Can anyone help out?  I'm wondering if this is the excursion that you think will take us on a boat through some of the old locks. It starts at Gatun Lake and ends in Panama City.  Panama Canal & Locks Transit By Boat

4 hours ago, ejyost88 said:

I'm wondering if this is the excursion that you think will take us on a boat through some of the old locks. It starts at Gatun Lake and ends in Panama City.  Panama Canal & Locks Transit By Boat

It sounds like it is, but what is the actual description of the tour on the Princess web site? 

That is the excursion that will do a partial transit of the Canal which locks through the two original Pacific Locks and the Gaillard Cut, shore ex NC2-615.  While the tour does "start" in Gatun Lake, that really is only the tendering off the ship to board ground transportation to the Pacific side to board the "ferry".  Also be aware that the tour can operate in reverse order from the description, from Panama City to Gamboa in other words.  Absolutely no difference either direction is equally rewarding

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't want to start a new post about this and hopefully my question will help those who click on this one.

We're doing a partial transit on the Celebrity Beyond so will be going through the new locks on the Atlantic side. But hubby and I really want to see and experience the old locks. Is the cruise ship tour the best or only way to do this? I generally prefer private tours because they have much fewer people, but in this case that doesn't really seem to be an option.

Thanks so much for your help!

Celebrity will have the identical tour that takes you through Gaillard Cut and the original Pacific Locks, they may have a slightly different name and number for it.  The stop at Gatun Lake in the Canal, as Bruce pointed out, only ship's excursions are available.  The reason for exclusive ship tours is when you are tendered ashore the cruise line knows positively there is a tour waiting for you.  The area around the Gatun Yacht Club is in the middle of nowhere, no town, no commercial area with no commercial transportation.  And I am sure being the only game in town the shore excursion department doesn't mind the extra business!

It is a great opportunity to experience both the new and original locks.

Edited by BillB48