Christmas and NY B2B

J13C85

We are on a 14D (it is a pair of 7D cruises). that leaves FLL (hello Sky) Dec 23. We've never sailed over Christmas and NY (this is a kind of bucket list thing). We are looking for info from people who've sailed Princess during the Christmas and NY weeks.

We figure SKY will be well over capacity? As there are no slides and such, do you think we will see a large amount of children (Im thinking more than a normal Princess cruise ,but nothing compared to Carnival or RCCL.

Next, what kind of things do they do on Christmas day? Any special events during the day? Do they do anything special in the ddining rooms?

Is there a very big party for NYE? Do they drop balloons at midnight? Believe it not, we are in our late 50s and have never been out at midnight local time for NYE (for years we both had to work at 05:00 on NYD and further, DW and I called it "amateur night" and never wanted to he out with so many potentially impaired drivers. Being as we will be on a ship...

Are Christmas and NYE both "elegant" nights? TIA.

I am sure I will think of more questions, LOL

Yes, there will be a lot of families. There will be hundreds of under 18 year olds. Yes, almost certainly at or over capacity (3rd and 4th berths in use). 

Yes, in my experiences, Christmas Day and New Years Eve are "formal" aka Dress to Impress nights 

Yes, special Christmas menu.  Hats and noisemakers for NYE at dinner.. 

Yes, ships fully decorated for Christmas. Snow in the atrium, carolers, cookie decorating, gingerbread houses, Santa visits Christmas Day with trinkets for the kids, midnight mass, special Christmas night show in theater, etc. 

NYE is a massive deck party and atrium party with all the live music playing all over the ship, champagne bar (Regal converts one of the hot tubs to a champagne tub with loads of bottles on ice, not sure if Sky does also),, no balloon drops anywhere anymore (environmental reasons), noise makers, DJ after party, etc. Every ship I've been on for MY also has an hourly acknowledgement of each time zone as it rings in the NY - they've all had a standing "party" in one lounge where every hour on the hour is a Happy New Year celebration - the Australia hour and the UK hour are usually well attended, other hours, pretty low key . 

They're very festive cruises and you'll have a ton of back to backers aboard with you. And Loads of families, particularly as they're only 7 night sailings.. 

Enjoy! 

• Like 3

We did B2B Panama Canal last year (LA/FLL/LA) each 15 days.  The first leg was the Christmas/New year one.  There were more children than usual but not overly   so.  We hardly knew they were there.  The Captain read the Night before Christmas over the PA system (not in the stateroom) and Santa was in the Piazza on Christmas afternoon, each child was able to sit on his lap and received a stuffed animal.  There will be more children on your trip as it is a 7 day segment.  The ship was beautifully decorated.

• Like 1

I have sailed over Christmas and New Years.

Christmas is fun - they have many activities. Santa comes, cookie decorating for kids, gingerbread decorating for kids, we had a snow man making activity, Christmas caroling, movies. It is fun. A special menu, ship is nicely decorated with chef made gingerbread houses/villages, etc...

I forgot - as mentioned above - the Captain reads the "Night Before Christmas". The times I have been on the ship, the Captain has had a young son who has been with him on his lap when he read it. Each kid who visits Santa gets a stuffed animal. 

New Years is one big party the night before. Special menu.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

2022 on the Enchanted for Christmas there were 500 children celebrating often in multi generational family groups. Santa had a gift for every child and holiday activities were numerous. The children loved the pools and the ice cream!  As active adults without kids we enjoyed the seasonal celebrations, festive meals and activities offered around the ship.  Each day we discovered another Christmas tree made by various crew departments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Christmas/New Years is GREAT !

I don't have to decorate or cook or go to parties at home. 🤩

I can put up with the drinks & kids. LOL 😄

DW agrees with you.