Same CC on different booking #'s

drizzle63

First post here. This will be my forth cruise on Princess, Crown MX Riviera 12/12/2023. This time, my party has two staterooms and I guess each cabin must have it's own booking #. Seems Princess doesn't allow the same credit card on different bookings! Crazy as I'd think many families would have kids/family members in different rooms yet want to have the same cc on each account to consolidate all excursions and charges to one card for convenience and miles.

Big miss by Princess. Yes, I could just put a different cc on each, but not ideal. Anyone have tip on how to work around this? I've called Princess support and they've confirmed this isn't allowed and my Travel Planner has no advice.

Thanks

Edited by drizzle63
typo

Are you saying that when you go to the personalizer for the booking for the other cabin and enter in your credit card number it rejects it saying that the same card has already been used with another booking number?

I find it difficult to believe that the Princess software checks the credit card number entered against all other bookings on that cruise.

• Haha 1

Yes. That is what I'm saying. When I try to add the cc to the 2nd booking, it gave me an error. Thought it was one of their many system errors at first and gave it a few days. Finally, contacted my Princess Trip Planner who told me it isn't allowed and to just use a diff cc. Didn't believe her, so contacted Princess support who confirmed same.

Unbelievable! 

Edited by drizzle63
Typo

That's new (relatively) then. Many moons ago we booked multiple cabins under multiple booking numbers and had no issue using the same credit card on every booking.

I wonder if it's an issue with all the credit holds they put on the cards during your cruise?

@drizzle63 I have only been able to resolve this once onboard (it changed maybe 2 years ago, a few cruises anyway)...I always to the desk & ask to have all our bookings charged to my credit card (so that I can easily check for unwanted/unauthorized charges on all accounts in my app as no one else in my party knows how to do this)...we also have the medallions all programmed to open both doors (we travel in 2 cabins--you need one person from each cabin present to authorize this)...I am assuming you mean for room charges, I can pay for them all & pay for prepaid things like excursions before sailing with any credit card

Edited by travelin.sisters

@travelin.sistersthanks for the tip! If they want to have this limitation, they really should allow us to select other guests to purchase spa and excursions for. theyhave this feature when you add someone to a dinner reservation at a specialty restaurant. If I want to purchase any spa or excursion reservations pre-cruise on one credit card, I’ll need to move the credit card from one account to the other! Sounds crazy, but I want the travel miles on one of me cc’s.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, drizzle63 said:

@travelin.sistersthanks for the tip! If they want to have this limitation, they really should allow us to select other guests to purchase spa and excursions for. theyhave this feature when you add someone to a dinner reservation at a specialty restaurant. If I want to purchase any spa or excursion reservations pre-cruise on one credit card, I’ll need to move the credit card from one account to the other! Sounds crazy, but I want the travel miles on one of me cc’s.

it doesn't sound crazy (from your end...Princess making it difficult is another matter) you should be able to pay for things using the method that is best for your circumstances without having to jump through hoops...can you purchase gift spa treatments? I think you can pay for excursions with a different credit card than the one registered to the  booking & maybe for spa treatments as well, I know I have purchased onboard items with a different credit card (using mine for the other booking before boarding)...it is sad & frustrating that this is so hard

10 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I was able to book 2 cabins this past August (2022) using the same CC with no issues.

20 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

it doesn't sound crazy (from your end...Princess making it difficult is another matter) you should be able to pay for things using the method that is best for your circumstances without having to jump through hoops...can you purchase gift spa treatments? I think you can pay for excursions with a different credit card than the one registered to the  booking & maybe for spa treatments as well, I know I have purchased onboard items with a different credit card (using mine for the other booking before boarding)...it is sad & frustrating that this is so hard

The problem / inconvenience is really just related to pre-cruise purchases through the cruise Personalizer. To your point, once on board, I should be able to fix this. I just wanted to be able to purchase spa treatments and excursions ahead of time. I do have a sneaky workaround and that is that I am going to move this credit card around while I’m purchasing to collect the miles 😆 and then add a separate cards so we’re green lane. Thanks!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drizzle63 said:

Yes. That is what I'm saying. When I try to add the cc to the 2nd booking, it gave me an error. Thought it was one of their many system errors at first and gave it a few days. Finally, contacted my Princess Trip Planner who told me it isn't allowed and to just use a diff cc. Didn't believe her, so contacted Princess support who confirmed same.

Unbelievable! 

Welcome to Princess.  Believe it.  The Princess Medallion App has several design flaws and programming bugs, some persisting for 2 yrs now.

Just put in a different CC and then change it at check-in if you prefer the one card.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Welcome to Princess.  Believe it.  The Princess Medallion App has several design flaws and programming bugs, some persisting for 2 yrs now.

Just put in a different CC and then change it at check-in if you prefer the one card.

The poster wants to make pre-cruise purchases, so the credit card will be charged at that time. Can't wait until on board.

3 hours ago, drizzle63 said:

There is another solution.

Just call Princess to make the purchases. They will take your CC number over the phone so you can easily use the same card for all these pre-cruise purchases.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, drizzle63 said:

First post here. This will be my forth cruise on Princess, Crown MX Riviera 12/12/2023. This time, my party has two staterooms and I guess each cabin must have it's own booking #. Seems Princess doesn't allow the same credit card on different bookings! Crazy as I'd think many families would have kids/family members in different rooms yet want to have the same cc on each account to consolidate all excursions and charges to one card for convenience and miles.

Big miss by Princess. Yes, I could just put a different cc on each, but not ideal. Anyone have tip on how to work around this? I've called Princess support and they've confirmed this isn't allowed and my Travel Planner has no advice.

Thanks

The PCL program is set up so each booking will have a CC registered in the name of guest owner.  Makes sense for liability of that booking. What doesn’t make sense, is that you can’t prepurchase using whatever CC you want for onboard services.

We have mostly waited till OB to purchase spa treatments, as they have sales OB.  

If you go with the other guests all together to GS, you can switch over all cabins to your CC, if you want.

I have called into shore excursions, as was suggested, and booked us all, using my CC precruise. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

The poster wants to make pre-cruise purchases, so the credit card will be charged at that time. Can't wait until on board.

Yes, saw that after.  Your post #14 is likely the easiest workaround until on board and can consolidate cabins onto the preferred card.  Post #15 mentions calling in as well for shorex.

• Thanks 1