Barry

Having last cruised in pre Covid 2019 with Marella which was very enjoyable. I have a question re dis-embarkation. I think home destination airports went off at different times. This cruise in May next year aboard Discovery 2 we are staying an extra 4days at an hotel after the cruise.

My question,  if someone has previously experience, is this, Are guests able to leave the ship early to be taken to the hotel?

Hope someone will be able to enlighten me.

Barry

(Broomeboy)

48 minutes ago, Broomeboy48 said:

Having last cruised in pre Covid 2019 with Marella which was very enjoyable. I have a question re dis-embarkation. I think home destination airports went off at different times. This cruise in May next year aboard Discovery 2 we are staying an extra 4days at an hotel after the cruise.

My question,  if someone has previously experience, is this, Are guests able to leave the ship early to be taken to the hotel?

Hope someone will be able to enlighten me.

Barry

(Broomeboy)

We did cruise and stay at Tenerife a few years ago and the procedure was leave suitcases outside the cabin on the night before disembarking the ship, the following morning we had breakfast and the transfer mini bus was waiting on the dockside so collect luggage and board the bus to your hotel. The bus left the dock at around 10:30 in the morning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Broomeboy48 said:

Thanks Brummijam and Jim the Scot for your quick replies. I was thinking as you normally have an afternoon check-in at hotels I thought we might be left on board till then.

Broomeboy

4 hours ago, Broomeboy48 said:

You have acess to food and drinks onboard until you leave the ship.😉

Edited by Brummijam

Yes Jim we have done this a few times on different cruise lines , I think it was called independent carry off or something like that . From memory you were notified of how to leave ship on disembarking day and ticked box that this is what you were doing , only downside trying to get in lifts with your party and luggage can be manic 

Never knew this was available with Marella/TUI and dont think I,d be tempted if part of a package.We have waited no time at all for our luggage to arrive at our cabin and there has been a few times our luggage has been outside our cabin by the time we have embarked

Think keeping luggage on disembarkation day sounds like too much hassle

• 6 months later...

Long time since communication on this cruise and thanks to all those that took trouble to respond.  All booked and getting prepared to depart.

Question! 
When docked in Rome we wish to go to the Trevi fountain and Spanish steps.

currently we hope that a coach will leave dock from Discovery  2 and take us to Rome. Depending on arrival point there how easy and time scale is it to walk to Trevi?

Broomeboy

Hi Broomeboy

You,ll be docking in Civitavecchia for Rome which is some distance away so will require an organised coach to get there unless you intend travelling differently

Cant help with the walk to the Trevi as we never visited Rome due to the distance away from port

Enjoy your cruise

Hi Broomeboy,  as Jim said you will need to do a trip to Rome from the ship. There are various excursions but they usually do 'Rome on your own' so you can wander wherever you like for a few hours.  We went on the train but that's not for everyone .  We bought a pop-up map of Rome online and planned our route around Rome in advance so that we didn't waste time .  We got to see all the sights , a brilliant day out. Enjoy!

Excellent advice, just a couple of points to remember get the phone number of the coach rep just incase you have a problem getting back for pick up, they will go without you if you are late as they are not allowed to wait in the city just drop off and pick up.

Have a good one.👍

If you decide to do the Tui trip 'Rome on your own' it will usually drop you off fairly near the vatican at Castel St Angelo. If you look at google maps fpr Trevi and Spanish steps, its about 30 min walk, and on the way, its worth visiting Piazza Navona.