Is it possible to use LG TV screen in cabin as monitor via HDMI port?

ebeluga

Hi, could any tech expert advise if this is possible? I would like to hook it up to my laptop to work.  If so, how do I get to the setting to choose the HDMI port? As I recall, the remote is very dumbed down, not much settings to configure!

Thank you!!

This has worked for me on the Island and Sapphire princess. It may or may not work on other ships.

Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port that the OceanView box uses.

Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).

Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly). Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GJCruiser said:

This has worked for me on the Island and Sapphire princess. It may or may not work on other ships.

Wow, thx for the detailed instructions. I wish I had known this when we sailed in July. I couldn’t get it to work and it was not easy to access the ports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Most of the Royal Class ships we have been on recently it has not been possible to access.  Others may have figured a work around but we have not.

As you said, something has recently changed on the Royal class ships. Last year it was working on the Enchanted, but in March it was not. 

Saying that, we could feed our hard drive to watch our movies directly to the TV using the method  described by GJCruiser , so all was not lost.

1 hour ago, cometjr said:

Wow, thx for the detailed instructions. I wish I had known this when we sailed in July. I couldn’t get it to work and it was not easy to access the ports.

It does take some work to plug in the HDMI cord on the back of the TV. But so far I have gotten it to work. In the past we would download NetFlix shows on my laptop. From the sound of it, we might be able to stream now with StarLink.

• Like 1

Below are the adapters we use to stream via the TV and the pop-up screens on the TV.

With the below adapter, you can charge your device while streaming.

Screenshot_20230316-131158_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.9e5c8aedd7484964ca9ca8710dc5c225.jpg

Screenshot_20230316-131226_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.35e55eafa651acf697058b00987f22a7.jpg

20221121_093128.thumb.jpg.bce52e13c05b5d74e94584ea173f0a17.jpg

20230316_163048.thumb.jpg.8a5c78b23e09648c56237a9c12258a7e.jpg

20230316_163054.thumb.jpg.8129b5b423a4b65adee8e7cf7a5e2080.jpg

20230316_163101.thumb.jpg.fa60636c28237501447d090e856bd384.jpg

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Some hotel-style TVs will not respond to external buttons / remotes or change inputs unless you pull out the ethernet-looking network cable from the TV. So try that if for whatever reason it's not working as expected.

In past RCCL cruises I've been on, I just take a Amazon fire stick and stick in in the HDMI port, then just connect the firestick's wifi to the wifi hotspot that I created on my laptop or phone. Worked perfect everytime. Just needed a universal remote control to switch the inputs as the TVs on the Quantum class ships that I've been on didn't have a controller/buttons on the unit itself to change to HDMI input.

My first Princess cruise (on Royal Princess) is a few months away so I'll also report back on my experience of doing similar on this thread during or after it.

Edited by cruise_critical
  • Like 1

@LACruiser88 Thank you for providing photos of each step.  Definitely going to buy the items you use to connect to the TV.  Question - do you disconnect the cable from the tv every time you leave the room or is it ok for the room steward to see the set up?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kgills said:

@LACruiser88 Thank you for providing photos of each step.  Definitely going to buy the items you use to connect to the TV.  Question - do you disconnect the cable from the tv every time you leave the room or is it ok for the room steward to see the set up?

We leave the cable connected the entire cruise.  Room Stewards have never had an issue with the cable.

Btw, the hardest step of the process is plugging the HDMI cable to the back of the TV.  There is not a lot of space to get your hand in there and I always need to use a flashlight.

20221121_093231.thumb.jpg.2355ec88e5df6898e3fd936845604a78.jpg

Edited by LACruiser88

• 4 months later...
On 8/21/2023 at 11:58 AM, ebeluga said:

Thank you. I will be on Grand so hopefully @GJCruiser 's method would work.

Hi Ebeluga, wondering how your latest experience with HDMI was on the Grand was? would love if u could share back what you had to do in the end

1 hour ago, ba5eline said:

Hi Ebeluga, wondering how your latest experience with HDMI was on the Grand was? would love if u could share back what you had to do in the end

Yes method described by gjcruiser and LAcruiser88 worked for me on both Grand and Enchanted Princess last Oct and Nov respectively. I did Netflix streaming on Suits!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ebeluga said:

Yes method described by gjcruiser and LAcruiser88 worked for me on both Grand and Enchanted Princess last Oct and Nov respectively. I did Netflix streaming on Suits!

Do you recall what type of tv they had? LG, Samsung or another?