Cruise on Halloween

I'm thinking about booking a 5 night cruise out of LA on Bliss that departs on October 31. I figure there will be people decorating their doors (not my thing) and people dressing up. 

What has your experience been  like when taking  a cruise over Halloween on NCL? Any fun activities that NCL normally wouldn't do but do because of Halloween? 

For people who dress up, did you dress up just at night or do it the full day?

• Like 2

Depends a little on the itinerary - port or sea day.  If they are showing movies, they will probably be Halloween themed.

The rest depends on the staff and the cruise director. Decorations. Dishes of candy. Both Halloween cruises that I've been on have been port days, so people were in port most of the day, not in costume.

The costumes ranged from Halloween tshirts/sweatshirts to some that were fairly elaborate.

There was a carnival and a party on one, a haunted house and "halloween bash" on the other.  I didn't attend, so can't provide any additional details.

• Like 1

On Halloween Day 2019 on the Gem, there were a lot of Halloween food displays in the buffet but there weren't any other decorations on the ship.

When my husband realized we would be on our cruise for Halloween, I gave him carte blanche for picking out costumes. He went all out. We had a slight misunderstanding with the costumes, though. I started putting on my costume for dinner, he thought we were going to go back to the cabin after dinner and put on costumes. I said there wasn't time. He felt a little funny dressing up for dinner, but we had 2 couples who were together beg us to sit with them in the MDR. People were asking for pictures all night. They had a costume contest. We didn't win but it was so much fun.Halloween2019.thumb.jpg.09a2cf0509a15d357b389e6277620e4d.jpgHalloween.thumb.jpg.fe364f926fa2a068ea439e3ef291aff3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My husband and I were on the Prima Halloween 2022 and it was a lot of fun.  So many passengers and cruise staff dressed up - they did a "haunted hall" down each hallway leading into the theater and had a huge Halloween dance party that night in the theater.  Decorations all around the ship and the buffet had Halloween treats (cakes and candy).  They had a few Halloween cocktails but I don't remember what they were.  We had a fun time! 

• Like 1

Pre COVID on Escape...festive atmosphere, overall.

Thriller dance class

Halloween movie

Halloween display with carved pumpkins in buffet.

Evening costume party at spice with a couple themed drinks

Haunted house walk through in the smaller supper club/dinner theater.

• Like 1

I was on the Bliss for Halloween in 2019.  There was a fruit carving by Mixx, entertainment staff were dressed up, some passengers were dressed up (one as Colonel Sanders, quite well done).  Overall it was kind of cool!

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 6:52 PM, UnbridledEnthusiasm said:

I'm thinking about booking a 5 night cruise out of LA on Bliss that departs on October 31. I figure there will be people decorating their doors (not my thing) and people dressing up. 

What has your experience been  like when taking  a cruise over Halloween on NCL? Any fun activities that NCL normally wouldn't do but do because of Halloween? 

For people who dress up, did you dress up just at night or do it the full day?

I was on an NCL cruise last year during Halloween. There were a handful of kids who dressed up and I think the stores and other places on the ship gave out candy to the kids so they could trick or treat. Some adults dressed up too, although not a huge amount of people. I noticed them dressing up in the evening, going to dinner dressed up etc..

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing. We just booked this cruise a few days ago. When I informed my 11 year old daughter about this cruise, her first reaction was, “…but what about Halloween and trick or treating?!?!” Halloween will be the embarkation day so I am wondering how much they’ll actually be able to organize as this day is usually hectic for the staff. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raiders4Life32 said:

I was wondering the same thing. We just booked this cruise a few days ago. When I informed my 11 year old daughter about this cruise, her first reaction was, “…but what about Halloween and trick or treating?!?!” Halloween will be the embarkation day so I am wondering how much they’ll actually be able to organize as this day is usually hectic for the staff. 

I think we may be going on the same cruise :0

On 8/23/2023 at 8:47 AM, hallux said:

I was on the Bliss for Halloween in 2019.  There was a fruit carving by Mixx, entertainment staff were dressed up, some passengers were dressed up (one as Colonel Sanders, quite well done).  Overall it was kind of cool!

Okay, this is freaky. We also had a Colonel Sanders on our cruise, same year! 

IMG_20191031_204313469.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were on a TA from Copenhagen to New Orleans Halloween 2019...
There were Costume Parade & Contests, Haunted House, Trick-or-Treating, Other Special Events, Drinks & Menu Items

The Haunted House was pretty great for a single night performance - we went @ the end of the night.

• Like 1