Want to rent my first scooter for Oasis.

Truluv

On 9/19/2023 at 3:44 PM, sfpt154 said:

When renting a scooter, do you purchase the damage insurance and/or theft insurance? How long before your cruise do you reserve a scooter. Going on 1st cruise next year and trying to learn all I can.

I've never purchased insurance.

Reserve it once your plans are firm.  You don't want to have everything all set and then find out that they're sold out!

• Like 2

I've rented scooters from both Special Needs at Sea (4-5x) & from Scootaround (1x).  SNatS includes insurance w/the rental fee.  Scootaround charges $10/day for insurance.

If you're doing a Repositioning cruise (like a TA), ask if the company has a special deal; Scootaround only charged me $100 for an 18 day TransAtlantic in June 2022 since they needed to move equipment.  I always get a quote from both companies before renting.  Check the equipment at the website, then call.

I usually cruise Princess.  The scooter is in the cabin when I arrive.  I have port wheelchair assistance from the curb to check-in and then PCL assistance from check-in to my cabin to get the scooter. Disembarkation is the reverse.

Most ships have FEW handicapped accessible cabins, compared to the number of passengers needing them.  You will need to reserve a HA cabin months in advance!  If you don't need the HA bathroom part, you'll need a cabin that you can get the mobility device into.  A scooter or chair in the hall is extremely dangerous -- think if there were a need to evacuate!

If you're questioning whether or not you need a scooter or other mobility assistance, ask yourself if you can walk the distance of 3 football (US) fields?  Most of the ships now are 900+ ft long (300 yds).  A football field is 300 ft. (100 yds).  Do that several times a day -- or once. 

Just be prepared to WAIT for an elevator!