Want to rent my first scooter for Oasis.

Truluv

4 hours ago, mets123 said:

You must be very proud of them. You taught them very well. NOT¡!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I taught them about as good as the parents of those who leave their scooters in the hallway. 

"ASSISTIVE DEVICES. Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I guess I taught them about as good as the parents of those who leave their scooters in the hallway. 

"ASSISTIVE DEVICES. Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation."

So allowing your children so mess around with someone else's personal property is good parenting? Perhaps you need a refresher course in good parenting? Without knowing why the scooter was there, you made a judgement call. Two wrongs don't make a right. Now that's good parenting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mapleleafforever may not have read all of the prior posts, or she'd understand that most people don't WANT to leave scooters in the corridors.  Sometimes one is rented that doesn't fit through the cabin doors, and stewards may not help to move them.  I've noticed the rental companies charge a hefty 20% fee plus large deductibles for damage, so nobody lightly just leaves them outside to risk damage.  It's obviously better to leave other people's property alone anyway.  Despite appearances, I'm not a meek & mild little old disabled lady.  I was a lawyer who traveled around the world & worked on high-profile billion+ dollar matters (and even sued someone for nonpayment who became a famous politician...yes, my client DID get paid LOL).  Messing with my property isn't a good idea.  I bet other disabled people who are forced to use scooters or assistive devices may also surprise disrespectful people, especially if their property ends up being damaged.  It's not a good idea, aside from just being rude. 

Edited by Truluv
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, mets123 said:

So allowing your children so mess around with someone else's personal property is good parenting? Perhaps you need a refresher course in good parenting? Without knowing why the scooter was there, you made a judgement call. Two wrongs don't make a right. Now that's good parenting.

Facetiousness: facetious stresses a desire to produce laughter and may be derogatory in implying dubious or ill-timed attempts at wit or humor. 

• Like 1

We've planned this for months.  My chair will be driven up to our door and probably be folded before going inside and then stowed under the bed and plugged in by the bed.  Eazy Peazy  No way I'd leave my $1500 wheelchair outside😲 Additionally, anywhere we take it, the joystick can be removed and stowed under my lounger etc.  It's no good without it, won't even roll unless you know how to disengage the rear wheels.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 4

I know every port/cruise lines are different but i'll share my experience: I broke a bone in my foot 2 weeks before our Alaska cruise last month (Carnival Spirit out of Seattle). I had a walking boot but decided to rent a scooter just to be sure i had it if i needed it with all the walking required. I rented from ScootAround (i think it was about $220 but then i added insurance so that bumped it closer to $300). They had a tent outside where i checked in and got my scooter. I rode it onto the ship, up the elevator, parked it in our cabin (yes it fit!) and didn't use it again all week until we were disembarking and i rode it down again!)

If i hadn't rented it i would have needed it of course?!?

In the short time i rode it, i realized how difficult it can be to maneuver around a crowded ship, and how some people (not all!) ignore those chairs and scooters and walked right in front of me! I decided that i could handle my walking boot just fine if slightly slower and i preferred that to riding in the scooter.

Having said that, i am so grateful that my situation is/was a temporary injury only, and i have a new-found awareness and sympathy for those who are confined to wheelchairs and/or scooters permanently.

I hope that if i run into you on a ship, I'm the one who's holding the door for you, or moving aside to let you by. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Truluv said:

Mapleleafforever may not have read all of the prior posts, or she'd understand that most people don't WANT to leave scooters in the corridors.  Sometimes one is rented that doesn't fit through the cabin doors, and stewards may not help to move them.  I've noticed the rental companies charge a hefty 20% fee plus large deductibles for damage, so nobody lightly just leaves them outside to risk damage.  It's obviously better to leave other people's property alone anyway.  Despite appearances, I'm not a meek & mild little old disabled lady.  I was a lawyer who traveled around the world & worked on high-profile billion+ dollar matters (and even sued someone for nonpayment who became a famous politician...yes, my client DID get paid LOL).  Messing with my property isn't a good idea.  I bet other disabled people who are forced to use scooters or assistive devices may also surprise disrespectful people, especially if their property ends up being damaged.  It's not a good idea, aside from just being rude. 

If either of my daughters injure themselves while playing on a scooter that's been left in the hallway on a Royal Caribbean ship I'll definitely be calling a lawyer. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mets123 said:

LOL, breath. 

7 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

If either of my daughters injure themselves while playing on a scooter that's been left in the hallway on a Royal Caribbean ship I'll definitely be calling a lawyer. 

Rather than tell them they shouldn't be playing on it in first place.

So now you're blaming other children and their parents.? Are you saying that your children can play on other peoples property (like scooters) without their permission because of poorly behaved kids? Why else would you add them to the conversation?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mets123 said:

So now you're blaming other children and their parents.? Are you saying that your children can play on other peoples property (like scooters) without their permission because of poorly behaved kids? Why else would you add them to the conversation?

Oh my.....the mental gymnastics....

Hint, it has already been explained (to you specifically) in post #31. 

On 8/22/2023 at 10:13 AM, SilkySal said:

Mine was $332.00 but for a 9-night cruise.

This is port and ship dependent.  I'm renting from Special Needs at Sea for a 9 day cruise on Liberty from Cape Liberty and the cost is $267.  I rented from them back in March for a 8 day on Explorer from Miami for $270

• Like 2

Oh my.....the mental gymnastics....

Hint, it has already been explained (to you specifically) in post #31. 

Post 31 says it's a bad attempt at humor. I'm not trying to be funny. I honestly believe you have bad parenting skills.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, mets123 said:

Post 31 says it's a bad attempt at humor. I'm not trying to be funny. I honestly believe you have bad parenting skills.

Thanks random person from the internet. Just make sure to keep your scooter in your room so kids can't play on them and people don't stub their toes. I mean, it's the rules after all. 

• Like 1

Thanks random person from the internet. Just make sure to keep your scooter in your room so kids can't play on them and people don't stub their toes. I mean, it's the rules after all. 

You are very welcome. 

On 8/22/2023 at 5:24 AM, Truluv said:

I've probably taken about 45 cruises over the last 30 years or so.  I'm finally conceding that I might need a scooter for an upcoming family cruise (with two kids and their spouses/two young grandkids) this Fall on Oasis, now that I've hit 70+.  I have an ankle that was broken decades ago.  It was held together with pins & plates but the bones around the pins are now deteriorating & the ankle has 0 mobility.  I've been avoiding ankle replacement surgery due to the lengthy recovery, but that's another story.  My last cruise was pre-Covid on a smaller ship.  I had a few painful days but didn't rent a scooter.  I'm concerned about trying to walk all week on  a much bigger ship.  I've spotted a site that rents scooters for cruises.  Has anyone done that, or is it better to try to rent a scooter through RCL?  I see some are 3-wheel and some are 4-wheel.   Any tips for a first-timer?   Thank you very much for your help. 

Do a search on this board for scooter and you will find numerous discussions about them.  

Scooter rentals need to be through one of RCL's approved vendors (Special Needs at Sea or Scootaround).  You might also need to book an accessible stateroom to accommodate the scooter.   My husband always rents the transportable scooter (called the standard scooter by Special Needs at Sea).  He is 5'11" and weighs 205 lbs.   It's a perfect scooter for him.  

If you are comparing pricing between Special Needs and Scootaround, try using discount code USCRUISE at Scootaround (you may need to call to have it applied).  It's from United Spinal.  

We have never purchased the damage or cancellation insurance.  Read the fine print on these policies.....   

Have you seen this?

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/mobility-disabilities

• Like 1

It is difficult, if not impossible to pass devices that are left in a passageway. That is not acceptable. I have a right to passage in the hallway and a need for access in emergency situations.

You may find your device repositioned in one of the further elevator lobbies if you block the passage.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 6:02 AM, mets123 said:

. If you want to practice ahead of time, go to your local Walmart or grocery store and use theirs. 

While this is a good idea, I just want to mention that the scooters you rent are a little easier to maneuver than the ones at stores.  They will still help you get the basic function of going forward and reverse.  Plus, if you start practicing when you go to the store, it will make the rental scooters seem easy peazy.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gluecksbaer said:

While this is a good idea, I just want to mention that the scooters you rent are a little easier to maneuver than the ones at stores.  They will still help you get the basic function of going forward and reverse.  Plus, if you start practicing when you go to the store, it will make the rental scooters seem easy peazy.

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 5:25 PM, mets123 said:

There's a few differences between a three wheeler a four. The three wheeler is usually recommended for people under 300 pounds. On a three wheeler your feet are flat while on the four they sit on top of a wheel well which could cause discomfort with your ankle problems. The four wheeler gives you more stability but has a wider turning radius.

And most important, give yourself at least 15 extra minutes at dinner time to find an empty elevator.

This is very good advice!  Manual doors and elevators are big annoyances when you're in a mobility scooter.

Try to rent a "travel" scooter; they are narrower and lighter which means you can put them in a vehicle if you choose to take a shore excursion.  As a person new to scooters, you'll also appreciate being able to just lift one end and turn the scooter if you are in a tight spot.

Make sure to check the user weight limit of any scooter you rent.  The closer you are to that limit, the less distance you'll be able to travel on a single charge.  

3 wheel scooters are usually more maneuverable but you have to be more careful when turning.  Tip: when going over a crack or bump, make sure to hit it directly and not at an angle.  You can usually get off and lift your scooter to go up or down a curb or over a high door sill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our last cruise from San Juan I rented one (a 4-wheeler) from Special Needs At Sea - it made a world of difference!  Without it, walking from the dining room back to the cabin would have been exhausting.  They dropped it off in the room - I got Celebrity to provide wheelchair assistance to get on board and for disembarking as well.  We are doing another cruise in May - this one out of Southampton on Princess - and I've rented another unit, again through Special Needs At Sea.

I have a rare neurological disorder - called Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia - that mainly affects my balance (I fall A LOT) and gait.

• Thanks 1