Want to rent my first scooter for Oasis.

Truluv

I've probably taken about 45 cruises over the last 30 years or so.  I'm finally conceding that I might need a scooter for an upcoming family cruise (with two kids and their spouses/two young grandkids) this Fall on Oasis, now that I've hit 70+.  I have an ankle that was broken decades ago.  It was held together with pins & plates but the bones around the pins are now deteriorating & the ankle has 0 mobility.  I've been avoiding ankle replacement surgery due to the lengthy recovery, but that's another story.  My last cruise was pre-Covid on a smaller ship.  I had a few painful days but didn't rent a scooter.  I'm concerned about trying to walk all week on  a much bigger ship.  I've spotted a site that rents scooters for cruises.  Has anyone done that, or is it better to try to rent a scooter through RCL?  I see some are 3-wheel and some are 4-wheel.   Any tips for a first-timer?   Thank you very much for your help. 

• Like 1

This is the letter I got from Celebrity and I think RCCL would use the same companies for scooter rentals. They do not rent them directly from the ships.

Here is the letter:

Thank you for contacting the Access Department regarding you wanting to rent a Scooter and  Pier Assistance.

We understand that you may require additional assistance during your embarkation on the ship due to your mobility condition. We are pleased to inform you that we will provide wheelchair assistance during the embarkation process. Our team will be waiting for you at the cruise terminal with a wheelchair to assist you in boarding the ship. we will also provide any additional assistance that you may need to ensure a smooth and comfortable embarkation process.

Also, we kindly ask you to speak with Guest Relations desk once onboard to arrange the disembarkation assistance at the end of your cruise.

Wheelchairs and scooters must be stored in your stateroom, so fire doors, corridors and elevators are kept clear for emergency evacuation.

For standard staterooms, wheelchairs and scooters must fit through a 24-inch stateroom doorway. For accessible staterooms the doorway is at least 32 inches wide which may accommodate larger devices. If you have a wheelchair or scooter larger than 32 inches wide, please let us know.

Please note, crewmembers are not permitted to lift power wheelchairs or scooters, however, they will aid with folding manual wheelchairs, walkers, canes.

If you need to rent a wheelchair or scooter please call:
Listed below are two preferred providers you may contact:

Scootaround (formerly Care Vacations): 1-888-441-7575 or 1-204-982-0657
Special Needs at Sea: 1-800-513-4515

Your reservation has been noted accordingly.

Have a great cruise!     

Bon voyage,                     

Best regards,
Michele Peterson
Access Advocate

Hope that helps!

• Like 3

Does scoot-around deliver to your stateroom (and pick up from the stateroom) or are you responsible for picking it up/dropping it off somewhere else?  Thank you for your quick information!

3 minutes ago, Truluv said:

Does scoot-around deliver to your stateroom (and pick up from the stateroom) or are you responsible for picking it up/dropping it off somewhere else?  Thank you for your quick information!

First contact special_needs@rccl.com telling them that you need wheelchair assistance at the pier to get onto the ship (I hate that ramp) and that you will be bringing a rental scooter. Book an accessible cabin if you can, as some scooters will not fit through a regular cabin door.

Yes, scootaround will deliver your scooter to your cabin and you will leave it in your cabin when you leave; you can request wheelchair assistance to get off of the ship as well.

• Like 1

Oh, and I also own a scooter but didn't want to put it on an airplane in case of damage, so chose to rent one. The one I have is 4 wheels which I believe is safe with less chance of toppling over. Not sure if the one I rented is 3 or 4 wheels but will find out next month. LOL! If 3 wheels, will make a note not to speed!!😲

• Like 1

I use scootaround all the time for my wife. You call them and the scooter will be in your room when you get there. Just leave it in your room when finished. Do you have an accessable room? You can't leave it outside your room overnight. If you want to practice ahead of time, go to your local Walmart or grocery store and use theirs. Any questions, just reply to this post.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, elizabethbp said:

I was on the Oasis a few weeks ago and saw many scooters in the  corridors morning and night, so not sure if the rule is enforced. 

Yeah, we've also noticed that. I was told that, if you're scooter would not fit easily through the doorway, that you could leave it in the hallway for the room steward to take it down below overnight and return it the following morning. So, it seems that this either does not happen at all or happens late at night and returned early in the morning. I have no idea. I always book an accessible cabin to keep my scooter inside.

Don't explain or apologize, it happens.  I'm in your boat and last cruise I had enough huffing and puffing and stopping on the way up and down the promenade...I researched everything and I do mean everything.  Finally, we bought an electric wheel chair that folds up and gets through 24" doors...so we don't have to take up an Accessible cabin and can leave them for others if need be.  It's more vertical than a scooter and I figured it would inconvenience less people in the elevators.  Just a little more than a scooter but I figure I will need it anyway some day and renting would be more of a hassle than it's worth.  It costs so much it wouldn't take long to break even.  I'll let you know, we cruise next week and I'll be using it.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

BecciBoo & SilkySal:  Thank you so much - it's so helpful to have this information. 

BecciBoo -- you've nailed it exactly. I've had my head in the sand too long. I'll take a look at electric wheelchairs too!  Hope you have a great cruise next week -- please come back & let us know how the wheelchair worked out. 

Crazily -- my kids & their spouses who are joining me on my cruise are all in health care (a young doctor, a board-certified cardiac pharmacist & two RNs).  They all just ganged up on me to face reality.  I either get a mobility aid or I could overuse the ankle & end up spending the cruise in my cabin.  😔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mets123 said:

....If you want to practice ahead of time, go to your local Walmart or grocery store and use theirs. Any questions, just reply to this post.

What a great idea!!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, mets123 said:

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Don't explain or apologize, it happens.  I'm in your boat and last cruise I had enough huffing and puffing and stopping on the way up and down the promenade...I researched everything and I do mean everything.  Finally, we bought an electric wheel chair that folds up and gets through 24" doors...so we don't have to take up an Accessible cabin and can leave them for others if need be.  It's more vertical than a scooter and I figured it would inconvenience less people in the elevators.  Just a little more than a scooter but I figure I will need it anyway some day and renting would be more of a hassle than it's worth.  It costs so much it wouldn't take long to break even.  I'll let you know, we cruise next week and I'll be using it.

You are very conscientious!  I can't even count how often we have to dodge someone's scooter that they have just left in the hallway so they don't have it taking up space in their cabin.  

Thanks for all this important information. My husband does ok getting around the ship, but we have recently had to skip two ports because the pier just looked too long for him to attempt (he gets short of breath after walking a bit). We did not see any trams at these piers. I was also disappointed that Nassau did not have any trams or assistance (that we could see). Are you able to take your rental scooter off the ship and down the pier?

• Like 2

Yes, you can take a scooter off of the ship, down the pier, and anywhere in or out of the port area but be warned not to leave the scooter unattended due to possible theft while off of the ship. The only problem could be the inability to get the scooter off at the tender ports.

Edited by SilkySal
add
  • Like 2

Nassau does have trams  but you need to look for the  boarding area when you get off the ship, as when I got off the Oasis I did not see the area ( or sign) and there was no one around to ask about them, but we knew they existed.   I walked the distance and it was awful.  I was able to get one back from the pier to the ship-  there is a marked  boarding area at  the  beginning of the  pier.    I think RCCL needs to be more handicap friendly. This was a big issue for me on Coco Cay. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sandebeach said:

Thanks for all this important information. My husband does ok getting around the ship, but we have recently had to skip two ports because the pier just looked too long for him to attempt (he gets short of breath after walking a bit). We did not see any trams at these piers. I was also disappointed that Nassau did not have any trams or assistance (that we could see). Are you able to take your rental scooter off the ship and down the pier?

Yep, I have AFIB and ramps are a problem, also the piers at Coz and Costa Maya!  Whew.  They have the trams, but I want to be in control of when I can leave and come back.  I'm anxious to know how my chair is received by the crew..  It will fit perfectly in the closet or under our bed on ship.  Here's the one we got: 35.4 x 23.6 x 34.6 inches so less than 24" wide.  It cost $1499 with a $100 coupon on Amazon. Lithium battery of course, just plug it in.  I've been practicing, hope to just back in the elevator and zip out quickly.  I'm getting pretty good at it, it turns on a dime!

My chair.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Yep, I have AFIB and ramps are a problem, also the piers at Coz and Costa Maya!  Whew.  They have the trams, but I want to be in control of when I can leave and come back.  I'm anxious to know how my chair is received by the crew..  It will fit perfectly in the closet or under our bed on ship.  Here's the one we got: 35.4 x 23.6 x 34.6 inches so less than 24" wide.  It cost $1499 with a $100 coupon on Amazon. Lithium battery of course, just plug it in.  I've been practicing, hope to just back in the elevator and zip out quickly.  I'm getting pretty good at it, it turns on a dime!

My chair.jpg

You will love having the wc to get around. If you do not have an accessible cabin, go to the dollar store and pick up a door stop or two to keep the cabin door open while going in or out. Makes it easier so you dont have to hold the door open. 🙂 Have fun cruising!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Truluv said:

What a great idea!!  Thank you!

There's a few differences between a three wheeler a four. The three wheeler is usually recommended for people under 300 pounds. On a three wheeler your feet are flat while on the four they sit on top of a wheel well which could cause discomfort with your ankle problems. The four wheeler gives you more stability but has a wider turning radius.

And most important, give yourself at least 15 extra minutes at dinner time to find an empty elevator.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Truluv said:

It depends on the port.  In Florida, Port Canaveral and Tampa, you pick the scooter up at the entrance to the terminal and they will show you where to bring it back.  They will follow you to your vehicle or van so you have it up to that point.  In Bayonne, it's delivered to your cabin. Maybe other ports too but I don't have experience with them.  I much prefer picking up at the terminal so it can be used to embark and disembarked which is when it's really needed.  Instead we get wheelchair assistance to embark and disembark.  To me it's a real pain disembarking because you have to wait in a designated room for someone to take you off as well as a lot of other people.  There's a line and only a few guys to do this so it's time consuming.  You will love having the scooter!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kiki and The Noush said:

You are very conscientious!  I can't even count how often we have to dodge someone's scooter that they have just left in the hallway so they don't have it taking up space in their cabin.  

My kids love to play on abandoned hallway scooters.

• Like 1

I highly recommend specialneedsatsea.  You can do a mock booking on their website to get the price for your cruise.

We found the pricing is much better than scootaround.

Also, speak with guest services to find out where on the promenade you can leave scooter if you need wheelchair assistance to disembark. 

On our Anthem cruise we took the scooter to breakfast then dropped it off at The Via instead of leaving in the cabin. 

• Like 2

I also recommend https://www.specialneedsatsea.com/ .  I've picked up the scooter at the cruise port, which means you can use it to embark and disembark and don't need wheelchair assistance.  Make sure to ask them when & where you pick up and drop off.

Once you know what you are renting, fill in the special needs form and let them know what equipment you are using. 

• Like 2