Princess as a solo

OTrail

Great thread. I wanted to pop in with a couple questions if it's OK. Are there any potential billing surprises from cruising solo vs with someone? I'm specifically wondering if port taxes or gratuities are charged per room or per person. In other words, does a solo traveler have to pay double for those charges (or any other)?

3 hours ago, joeflow80 said:

In other words, does a solo traveler have to pay double for those charges (or any other)?

Solo travelers pay double for the cruise fare only (also known as a 100% single supplement) and are charged the single per person rate for the port charges.

Having said that, there are some Princess sailings that have an abundance of empty cabins and don't charge a 100% single supplement.  If a sailing doesn't sell a certain number of cabins by a certain date before sailing, Princess tends to lower the single supplement for solos.  The single supplement can be as low as 0% to 10% in addition to the per person double occupancy cruise fare.  

When I've travelled solo I always get a shared table in the MDR.  You usually meet some interesting people, and even if you don't, you've only wasted an hour or so of your time. 

The Solo Meet-ups are a mixed bag, and usually for me, at an inconvenient time.  Sometimes its sit around in a circle and say your name and where you're from and something interesting about yourself.  They feel a bit like a college freshman mixer except there are no name tags!  😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've never made it to one of those solo meets because they are always scheduled during dinner I have heard they are poorly attended.  I do as for sharing in the dinning room gives me a chance to meet and talk to others it can be a lot longer dinner that way service is slower so I just go to the second show in the theater.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have never been on a cruise before and normally holiday with friends but i am seriously considering doing a Princess Cruise solo as a change,I am only 27 so probably one of the younger generation of solo travellers but using the Princess plus fare I will mainly be eating in my cabin on the balcony maybe with Ocean now ordering.

I may walk the decks see if I can find a quiet spot to read or listen to music etc, but I may spend majority of my time on board on my balcony and I suspect my interactions with other guests will be very limited, I intend on going to have some "me time"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aaron1996 said:

I have never been on a cruise before and normally holiday with friends but i am seriously considering doing a Princess Cruise solo as a change,I am only 27 so probably one of the younger generation of solo travellers but using the Princess plus fare I will mainly be eating in my cabin on the balcony maybe with Ocean now ordering.

I may walk the decks see if I can find a quiet spot to read or listen to music etc, but I may spend majority of my time on board on my balcony and I suspect my interactions with other guests will be very limited, I intend on going to have some "me time"

It's your cruise and you can make it what you want it to be.  If you want to be more social, there's usually a solo gathering at one of the bars.  Given your age, you may not meet anyone to hang out with, but it doesn't hurt to go, if you choose.  The room service menu has gotten pretty limited; it's a short hop to the Lido Deck to get pizza, burgers, hot dogs, or buffet food.  It's not unseen to see solo travelers eating in the Dining Room--plenty of people do it.  You can also ask to be seated at a shared table.  It's pretty easy to strike up conversation at a bar with the alcohol flowing.

• Like 1

I haven’t cruised princess but i would recommend joining the facebook group for your sailing. I went to the pub crawl and met a lot of people. I also ended up eating breakfast with someone from the pub crawl one day. It was fun. Also i had started a thread on cruising princess solo in the solo topic if people are interested in more perspeectives.

On 8/23/2023 at 5:18 AM, OTrail said:

Hi all

I was looking at going on a Princess cruise for the first time and was just wondering if anyone has experience of them as a solo cruiser. Or even just experiences of Princess in general. I've only ever been on a Marella cruise before which, I think, is quite different to Princess. What's the dining experience like, is it same table every night? What's the dress code in the dining rooms? Do Princess have events/meet ups for solo travellers? Can I book shore excursions with Princess? Are there quiet areas I can sit and read without being in my cabin all the time?

The ship is going to be the Sky Princess and I was planning on booking a balcony cabin.

I usually cruise with others, but I'm leaving on my 7th solo cruise shortly. I also have a balcony. Dining: unless I'm with other solos, I prefer to eat dinner in the buffet. I do eat breakfast or lunch occasionally in the MDR. Dress: I wear something nice, but not fancy, to dinner in the MDR. Solo meet: there are usually solo meet & greets nightly but unhosted and rarely have anyone there. Excursions: anyone can book excursions. Quiet areas: all ships have areas to read (or for me, knit) around the ship. Adagio, Skywalkers, Crooners, and seats in hallways/passageways.