Review: Carnival Venezia Aug 19, 2023, 4 nighter to Saint John, NB

mizLORInj

On 8/25/2023 at 12:40 PM, fair-winds39 said:

. . .

A couple questions:

-Room Service-Looks like you need to call or use app for Room Service, is that right?  YES or through the TV 
-How popular are the Venetian Masks and were they used on a certain night?  On this 4 nighter, there were only a few people with masks.   Also, they're sold in the gift shop. 

-Are folks becoming more familiar with how the elevators operate?  Yes, but sometimes you wait for quite a while to get one. 

-If you tried any of the specialty restaurants, specifically Teppanyaki, did you book beforehand, or after you boarded. I’m guessing we should book before?  Didn't so I can't say.  I think you can book once onboard, but do it right away. 

Thanks again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skywalkr2 said:

Really happy to see this review.  I was thinking only negative reviews of the New York cruisers were allowed here lol.

I had a great time on my 5 day to Canada two weeks ago on the Venezia. And it rained both sea days, which is exactly what I was expecting. Many people on the ship complained non stop about how awful the cruise was due to the weather. Its all what you make of it! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Riles34 said:

I had a great time on my 5 day to Canada two weeks ago on the Venezia. And it rained both sea days, which is exactly what I was expecting. Many people on the ship complained non stop about how awful the cruise was due to the weather. Its all what you make of it! 

Yep. And who's fault is it when it rains? To whom do they plan on addressing that email?

Geez - enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Riles34 said:

I leave in a few weeks, and this is my first non-Caribbean cruise. Will be very interested to see how they differ.

33 minutes ago, skywalkr2 said:

I leave in a few weeks, and this is my first non-Caribbean cruise. Will be very interested to see how they differ.

You will have a great time! Just plan for a little rain and fog along your sailing, but the ship is great and with the roof it allows fun times on Lido. St John, don't have huge expectations as its nothing like a Caribbean port. Brick buildings in a small city and not much to see/do. Halifax is awesome and for $10 Canadian you can enjoy the maritime museum with Titanic artifacts just a 1/2 mile walk down the boardwalk. I haven't been to Sydney but hope you enjoy it. If you like old fashions, go get one from Szolt at the Hero's bar! I had many from him! Enjoy! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riles34 said:

You will have a great time! Just plan for a little rain and fog along your sailing, but the ship is great and with the roof it allows fun times on Lido. St John, don't have huge expectations as its nothing like a Caribbean port. Brick buildings in a small city and not much to see/do. Halifax is awesome and for $10 Canadian you can enjoy the maritime museum with Titanic artifacts just a 1/2 mile walk down the boardwalk. I haven't been to Sydney but hope you enjoy it. If you like old fashions, go get one from Szolt at the Hero's bar! I had many from him! Enjoy! 

Thanks for the input. I did have an excursion setup for St John to take a drive out to a Fishing village, so I am good there.  I have nothing scheduled for either Halifax or Sydney, but as you said there seems to be a lot to walk and see at those locations (most of the good excursions for both have been sold out for over a month).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skywalkr2 said:

Thanks for the input. I did have an excursion setup for St John to take a drive out to a Fishing village, so I am good there.  I have nothing scheduled for either Halifax or Sydney, but as you said there seems to be a lot to walk and see at those locations (most of the good excursions for both have been sold out for over a month).

No need for ship excursion in either port IMO.    Yes, Halifax has a lot to see within walking distance.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skywalkr2 said:

Sydney cape Breton taxi tours dot ca is a great resource for independent tours.

Last fall we were on the Magic and did those three ports.

In Sidney we took a taxi (scheduled ahead of time) to the Miner's Museum. It was really interesting. I learned so much about coal mining and will be forever grateful that no one in my family had to make those sacrifices. One of the best shore trips I've ever been on.

Edited by Susan in Maine
error
  • Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 7:04 PM, Susan in Maine said:

Last fall we were on the Magic and did those three ports.

In Sidney we took a taxi (scheduled ahead of time) to the Miner's Museum. It was really interesting. I learned so much about coal mining and will be forever grateful that no one in my family had to make those sacrifices. One of the best shore trips I've ever been on.

You are from Maine?  Wondering if you could just drive to these ports quicker? Lol.

• 6 months later...

Thank you, this is so helpful!  I have one question.  The special Sea Day brunch is only offered one sea day.  On a 4 day cruise there are 2 sea days, do you know if it was offered the first sea day or the last?  I ask because we are celebrating during this cruise and want to partake in this brunch so I don't want to schedule our Bonsai lunch on the same day.

Thank you!