Review: Carnival Venezia Aug 19, 2023, 4 nighter to Saint John, NB

mizLORInj

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

mizLORInj was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Hi everyone.   Just back from the Venezia.   We've sailed from NYC many times and we know the terminals are not large enough to hold thousands of people, so when check-in selection opened, we selected arrival time of 11:30-12, so hopefully boarding already started and the terminal will not be packed.   We arrived around 11:25, no line at priority security line (regular security line had maybe 20 people in it), and walked right up to check-in person.   I wondered where everyone was, but as we walked the length of the terminal, hundreds of people were seated.   Quick process for us:  20 minutes from arrival at the port to our cabin.   Dropped our bags at the cabin.  As we walked down the long hallway and cabin doors were open, I was surprised how many cabins were nowhere near ready.  

Checked in at our muster station, watched the new life jacket demonstration, and that was it.   The life jackets are different now.   

Room keys were not yet outside our cabin, so we could not use the app. since they want your folio number to use the app.  We then wandered into an almost empty buffet.   It was great at 12:15, but 30 minutes later, when we came back through, it was packed.  Guy's burgers also had lines--note there are TWO lines for Guy's.  Other various food places open too.  

We had an aft corner Terrazza premium vista balcony cabin and it was nice.  Our cabin steward Wayan was excellent.  Cabin was small and an odd shape, but it worked.  Smallish bathroom, shelves, bar of soap, and a shampoo/body wash combo dispenser in the shower.   Fridge was quite cold.   Not many tv channels but a lot of free on-demand movies.   We liked the robes and slippers provided, and got our wristband for the Terrazza deck access.   For a newer ship, I was surprised there was not some kind of nightlight in the bathroom.  The balcony was glorious and large, and we asked for a second lounger chair which we received, so you're welcome to anyone else who stays in this cabin!  🙂  Air conditioning in the cabin worked great.  The balcony partitions seem to give you more privacy than the ones on Carnival's older ships.  These particular category cabins vary in size and layout; the two deck six cabins and balconies seem to be the largest.  Deck seven and eight look to be about the same size as each other(smaller than deck 6); deck nine has a complete overhang (and is under aft pool deck.)   Terrazza category guests also receive a brunch at the Steakhouse, and it was very good.  It was only offered once during this 4 nighter.   This is different than the general guest sea day brunch listed in the Fun Times. 

Once you back out of the dock, you head down the Hudson River.  This never gets old for us.   So many cool buildings in NYC and NJ; Freedom Tower, Statue of Liberty, etc.    We headed out to sea, still in the channel just off LI and NJ, and got to see a few whales, so that was a treat.

If you love morning coffee or cappuccino, etc. there are various bars that have machines for coffee, so check around--it is not only at Java blue.  BUT Java Blue has some interesting adult milkshakes (included in drink package).  

Yes, the ship feels crowded especially in the buffet at peak times.   Note that there is more than one buffet line--one is mid-aft, and the other is more aft, and it's not always the same food at both, but both are not always open at the same time.   I like that there were sinks in various places on deck 10 for hand-washing.    We had heard the Seafood Shack had Asian food for lunch some days, but we did not get to see that.   Also there is a lunch place on deck 5 starboard, but we didn't eat there either.  Pizza was ok, but many times had a super long line.   Midnight buffet starts at 11.  The sandwich counter is in the center of the buffet and gets long lines. 

Terrazza area deck 5 aft was very nice.   Got crowded though.   Why do people bring their personal music devices--too much competing music.  Hot tubs were a weird green color (unlike the clear water in the crew hot tub at the bow!).  Attendants do check for wristbands and we saw people asked to leave.  The continental breakfast here was a nice spread of cereal, fruit, yogurt, breads, pastries and juices.    You can get included-in-cruise-fare and specialty coffee here too.  

I had read of long wait times with anytime (or whatever it's called) dining, so we opted for early fixed dining.   However, sailaway from NYC and Saint John were around the same time so we did not make it to the restaurant for two of the nights.  We shared a table with another couple and enjoyed the other two dinners with them.  Food was ok.  Service was excellent. 

Various musicians were around the ship and they were quite good.   The 2 theater shows, well, I remember when the production shows were great.   Comedy shows were packed; we went to one of them, and heard many good things about the other comedians.  Family Feud was entertaining. 

I like all the outdoor spaces along deck 5, especially up near the bow.  Lots of little nooks and crannies to relax in.  Note that there's a large smoking area on deck 5, starboard midship/forward.   

Liked Frizzante bar, and Mary and Sebastian were great.   I liked that various bars had different cocktail menus. 

Platinum gift was fanny pack.   

Popped up to Serenity deck just once and it was completely full.  Not one open space.  Glad we had a nice balcony to use. 

Ropes course looked cool; many families enjoying miniature golf.  Nice water slides.   Pickleball was offered one sea day.  

Note that you don't get the room service breakfast menu in the cabin anymore.  I was told to order through the app, but when I checked morning options, there was nothing that was $0.   

Saint John, NB.   Arrived very early and left the ship around 9 for a walkabout.  We've been here on many Carnival NE/Canada cruises before.  We hoped to take a walk on this trail that goes around the bay, but it started raining and many went back to the ship.   Buffet was packed at lunchtime.    But the weather cleared up in the afternoon and we went back out to wander.  Stopped by various shops and then Saint John Ale House and had a strawberry rhubarb margarita.   Yum.  

Terrazza cabins received notice of a meetup point for debarkation at 7am, however, the ship was at the dock before 6, and around 6:50 MarQ announced that you could now do express debarkation NOW so we hurried on down to deck 3 forward and were off the ship in probably 10 minutes, and out of the terminal in 6 or 7 more.   Walked across the street and got Uber ride to Penn Station.  Your ride to Penn station should be around $12 plus tip.   The guys who try to get your attention when you cross 12th Avenue will charge you more, so just be aware.   

I have to say I had lowered my expectations after reading some negative reviews.   But I'm glad I went to check out Venezia for myself.  We enjoyed checking out all the public decks soon upon boarding so we didn't miss anything.  We had a nice time, loved our cabin and balcony; food was just ok but we never went hungry, and entertainment ok, too.  Yes, the ship felt crowded some of the time.   Still, it was a relaxing and fun 4 nighter for us.   My advice is bring a jacket as some evenings (especially in Canada) got chilly, although inside the ship I was never cold.   

ENJOY😀

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

I had a great time on the sailing before yours. Heard so many people say the cruise sucked, but I am a believer that cruising is what you make of it. Yes, it feels a little more crowded than other ships but I think its because of the retractable roof at the main Lido pool and not allowing people to spread out on decks 11-12 like the other ships. 

Thanks for sharing your review!

• Like 1

Great review and thanks for sharing.  We will be on one of the sailings in September to Canada and it is nice to read a positive review.   Reading all of the horrible reviews  I have been thinking that I made a major mistake booking this trip.  🥵 This will be our first time cruising from NYC and first time visiting Canada .

Debarkation :    I keep reading that this is a major cluster disaster  . . .    

We initially thought that we would take the Carnival shuttle to LGA but the reviews were horrible.

Since we are newbies to the NYC port can you offer any tips to make our debarkation / transportation to LGA easier ??  TIA

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HappySails4U said:

Great review and thanks for sharing.  We will be on one of the sailings in September to Canada and it is nice to read a positive review.   Reading all of the horrible reviews  I have been thinking that I made a major mistake booking this trip.  🥵 This will be our first time cruising from NYC and first time visiting Canada .

Debarkation :    I keep reading that this is a major cluster disaster  . . .    

We initially thought that we would take the Carnival shuttle to LGA but the reviews were horrible.

Since we are newbies to the NYC port can you offer any tips to make our debarkation / transportation to LGA easier ??  TIA

I hear you; I wondered if I made a mistake booking this ship but I'm glad I got to experience it for myself.    

Debarkation was fine.  It is a lot of walking.   We were at the back of the ship, so we walked to the front to exit, then you walk to the back of the terminal to the escalator or elevator, go down, and forward again to the facial recognition screens, then out.   

We walked up 48th street to get away from the masses of people debarking and called our Uber from there (11th Ave).   If you are going on a weekend, you should be able to get a taxi from the taxi stand across the street from the ship.   Weekdays don't even bother to try to get a taxi.   As you walk across the street there will be people offering you rides--for more than the ride should be.   If I were going to the airport, I would use an Uber or Lyft ride.    

Hope you have a great trip.  We love sailing from NYC.   🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2023 at 12:33 PM, mizLORInj said:
We had heard the Seafood Shack had Asian food for lunch some days, but we did not get to see that. 

Nice review!

We were on one of Carnival Pride's Norway sailings in June and found that the Seafood Shack buffet line was an Asian line at lunch; Seafood Shack didn't open until 4:30. I was disappointed not to have clam strips for lunch one day, but I didn't want to skip dinner in the MDR since we managed to be assigned a table with an aft view, and that was too good to miss. The Asian food was good, though.

Thanks for the review.  My wife & I were on this sailing too.  We did an inside cabin since it was a short/quick getaway.  Overall, a great experience and it met my expectations.  I wasn't wowed like I was on the Mardi Gras, but still a very nice ship.  We had a flawless dining experience at the steakhouse and we were pleased with the II Viaggo  restaurant (although the $42 was a little steep for most of the menu selections).  The MDR staff for Seaday Brunch was on top of their game and Bonsai Sushi were also very quick. The only thing I wish for the ship layout is expanding the fitness center....definitely small for the size of the ship.  Perhaps they could squeeze a couple more cardio machines and another weight bench in there, but it's still undersized & too crowded in the morning.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, w53097 said:

. . . The only thing I wish for the ship layout is expanding the fitness center....definitely small for the size of the ship.  Perhaps they could squeeze a couple more cardio machines and another weight bench in there, but it's still undersized & too crowded in the morning.

Absolutely agree.  And no leg press!   We went late afternoon on either Sunday or Monday and it was crowded then too.  

Thanks for the review. We are looking forward to Venezia in October, but we felt just a tiny bit apprehensive with some of the reviews. In any case, I’m sure we’ll have a nice time as we know a cruise is what you make it.

A couple questions:

-Room Service-Looks like you need to call or use app for Room Service, is that right?
-How popular are the Venetian Masks and were they used on a certain night?

-Are folks becoming more familiar with how the elevators operate?

-If you tried any of the specialty restaurants, specifically Teppanyaki, did you book beforehand, or after you boarded. I’m guessing we should book before?

Thanks again.

On 8/23/2023 at 12:33 PM, mizLORInj said:

We had an aft corner Terrazza premium vista balcony cabin and it was nice.  Our cabin steward Wayan was excellent.  Cabin was small and an odd shape, but it worked.  Smallish bathroom, shelves, bar of soap, and a shampoo/body wash combo dispenser in the shower.   Fridge was quite cold.   Not many tv channels but a lot of free on-demand movies.   We liked the robes and slippers provided, and got our wristband for the Terrazza deck access.   For a newer ship, I was surprised there was not some kind of nightlight in the bathroom.  The balcony was glorious and large, and we asked for a second lounger chair which we received, so you're welcome to anyone else who stays in this cabin!  🙂  Air conditioning in the cabin worked great.  The balcony partitions seem to give you more privacy than the ones on Carnival's older ships.  These particular category cabins vary in size and layout; the two deck six cabins and balconies seem to be the largest.  Deck seven and eight look to be about the same size as each other(smaller than deck 6); deck nine has a complete overhang (and is under aft pool deck.)   Terrazza category guests also receive a brunch at the Steakhouse, and it was very good.  It was only offered once during this 4 nighter.   This is different than the general guest sea day brunch listed in the Fun Times. 

We have cabin #8484 booked, sounds like the same type location on aft (corner) as ours, did you have any noise/traffic from the stairway right outside your cabin door?  Thanks for the review, our cruise is over a year away😪

8 hours ago, coscab said:

We have cabin #8484 booked, sounds like the same type location on aft (corner) as ours, did you have any noise/traffic from the stairway right outside your cabin door?  Thanks for the review, our cruise is over a year away😪

Yes, your cabin is on the opposite side of the ship.   The only time anyone used that door is when the crew was doing a drill one morning. Other than that we heard no noise. I was concerned about that as well, but it worked out fine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

Yes, your cabin is on the opposite side of the ship.   The only time anyone used that door is when the crew was doing a drill one morning. Other than that we heard no noise. I was concerned about that as well, but it worked out fine.  

Thank you so much!😻

14 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

Another question about cabin, is there room to separate beds into twins.

17 hours ago, mizLORInj said:

Thank you. We are booked in 8485, which is also adjacent to the crew staircase. Good to know.

46 minutes ago, teacher34 said:

Can you tell me more about the Terrazza rooms ? Is this similar to the Havana rooms on other ships ? What was the special Terrazza brunch like ? How different was it from the brunch I. The MDR ?

in these cabins, you get a robe, slippers, and binoculars to use. Other than that, I don’t think there was anything special about the cabin itself.   Terrazza Area on deck five is nice to have during the day. 
The brunch offered items I did not see on any other menu. I had a piece of filet mignon, and it was fabulous. The brunch also included either of 2 particular cocktails although I can’t remember what they were. Even the desserts were fancy.  

6 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

in these cabins, you get a robe, slippers, and binoculars to use. Other than that, I don’t think there was anything special about the cabin itself.   Terrazza Area on deck five is nice to have during the day. 
The brunch offered items I did not see on any other menu. I had a piece of filet mignon, and it was fabulous. The brunch also included either of 2 particular cocktails although I can’t remember what they were. Even the desserts were fancy.  

How and where do you get the wristband for Terrazzo area? Do you get it in time on embarkation day to go there while waiting for cabin to be ready?

10 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

How and where do you get the wristband for Terrazzo area? Do you get it in time on embarkation day to go there while waiting for cabin to be ready?

Will be in envelope in cabin day of embarkation.