Egyptian Visa on board ship?

Phgirl

According to the Norwegian website we do not need a visa for Egypt.  However, everything else I have read says that we need a visa to be able to get off the ship.  We are on the Gem in November and start in Athens with the first day at sea.  I have booked tours with Ramses Tours and they advised that we can get the visa on the ship.

Has anyone experienced this?  Will we really get the visa on the ship before we dock in Alexandria? Or do I need to do that now?

26 minutes ago, Phgirl said:

According to the Norwegian website we do not need a visa for Egypt.  However, everything else I have read says that we need a visa to be able to get off the ship.  We are on the Gem in November and start in Athens with the first day at sea.  I have booked tours with Ramses Tours and they advised that we can get the visa on the ship.

Has anyone experienced this?  Will we really get the visa on the ship before we dock in Alexandria? Or do I need to do that now?

There was a thread about this a few days ago. By all accounts cruise lines obtain the visa for you on the ship:

15 hours ago, Phgirl said:

if I remember correctly, your go thru passport control on the ship ( they call each deck to line up at a certain time) .  You walk upto the agent, show them your passport, they give you a tourist visa card to put into your passport.  Carry that card in your passport.  There is lots of security in Egypt, and you will have to show that card ( and passport) getting in/out of port.  Also, many hotels and big establishments will have guards at entrances and metal detectors to walk thru ( like at the airport).

2 hours ago, NJGeorge said:

Sounds like a great place to visit!

Yes it does! Egypt is part of my short list bucket list. Not that I'll ever fill my bucket before I kick the bucket! Gosh, all those ancient sites! The juxtaposition between the pyramids and Cairo. A Nile River cruise. Argh! I want to do it all. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NJGeorge said:

Sounds like a great place to visit!

Actually, it is! The people are very friendly and helpful. The security is there for your sake. I never feel I’ll at ease there, and the Nile River cruise is spectacular. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 10:40 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

if I remember correctly, your go thru passport control on the ship ( they call each deck to line up at a certain time) .  You walk upto the agent, show them your passport, they give you a tourist visa card to put into your passport.  Carry that card in your passport.  There is lots of security in Egypt, and you will have to show that card ( and passport) getting in/out of port.  Also, many hotels and big establishments will have guards at entrances and metal detectors to walk thru ( like at the airport).

Thank you for this info. May I ask … how long ago did you go through this process? 

You can go ahead and get your own too it is 25 bucks and for me unless I see something in writing that NCL is paying the 25.00 fee I am going to do it myself

https://www.visa2egypt.gov.eg/eVisa/FAQ?VISTK=VVTL-6UHQ-MO6F-RMI7-DMS3-I4IE-MR2I-17V1-J6I9-63BA-J60O-1EXD-FP8E-BNNX-DVAW-0OXB

My cruise goes to Turkey too and the also have electronic VISA capability.

We have been on two cruises that went to Egypt …. once to Alexandria (NCL overnight tour to Cairo) and again in Safaga (independent overnight tour to Luxor) and neither times did we need to obtain Egyptian visa beforehand. NCL handled that on board after we surrendered our passports to them at embarkation. 

On 8/23/2023 at 7:21 PM, Phgirl said:

With visas, NCL will "do it for you" onboard, and charge you a lot for the service. It's almost always a better deal if you spend a bit of time securing the visas on your own.

Before our Southeast Asia cruise was canceled in 2020, cruisers on early sailings reported the Jade was charging $65 pp for the Vietnam visas onboard that cost $12ish if you obtained them in advance on your own.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Maryanncc said:

Thank you for this info. May I ask … how long ago did you go through this process? 

I went thru the process in Feb of the year.  The NCL cruise went from Dubai-Athens.  Did the overnight NCL excursion ( Safaga,overnight, then charter flight to Cairo, fly back to Hurgurtha to get the ship).  The  day before, they called each deck by number to line up at a certain location.  You wind thru the line, give your passport to Passport Control.  Once you get in line, it takes about 20 min ( the waiting in line is the longest part).  It may be cheaper to get one on your own, but IMO, its worth the extra money to have NCL take care of everything..  

39 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I went thru the process in Feb of the year.  The NCL cruise went from Dubai-Athens.  Did the overnight NCL excursion ( Safaga,overnight, then charter flight to Cairo, fly back to Hurgurtha to get the ship).  The  day before, they called each deck by number to line up at a certain location.  You wind thru the line, give your passport to Passport Control.  Once you get in line, it takes about 20 min ( the waiting in line is the longest part).  It may be cheaper to get one on your own, but IMO, its worth the extra money to have NCL take care of everything..  

Thank you for the info. So, you paid NCL for the tourist Visa card?

37 minutes ago, Maryanncc said:

Thank you for the info. So, you paid NCL for the tourist Visa card?

it was all part of the cruise fare.  I didn't pay any additional to NCL.  I just noticed you are from Canada. I can only speak about my experience as as US citizen.  I assume it would be the same for Canadian citizenship.

5 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Hi 9tee2Sea,

Would you clarify, did you mean February, 2023 in your previous post?  Thank you so much🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Janet (another NCL Gem November Athens to Istanbul cruise passenger from Houston, Texas )

18 hours ago, mfajxc99 said:

Hi 9tee2Sea,

Would you clarify, did you mean February, 2023 in your previous post?  Thank you so much🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Janet (another NCL Gem November Athens to Istanbul cruise passenger from Houston, Texas )

yes, it was 2023 that i went thru the process

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 7:01 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

Just curious do they actually stamp your passport or is it just a glance of it and hand you the tourist card?

We did the Dubai to Athens cruise this year (2023) and like you read we needed a visa (Aust Passport) so I applied and got it online. Turns out we didn't need to as the cruise ship organised one onboard anyway and I could have saved my money as they took no notice of the online one I arranged.😑