Bidding Upgrade to Yacht Club

Encapsulated

26 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Face value is only determined on what you paid originally.

You also need to look at original prices, not now in case they have been discounted.

My point is that it is as much as I would have paid for the better room when I booked almost a year ago. The total price is also very close to what the rooms are currently going for. That's also just the minimum bid. In my experience, an upgrade offer is given at a discount to what the empty room would sell for.

Well, one INT YC room opened up, and there are still 8 Balcony YC rooms available... I called and the cost to upgrade to the Int room is ~$1400.Since it's little more than two weeks away and my upgrade offer is maxed out at $960, I'm gonna hold off pulling the trigger and hope the lower upgrade offer is accepted.

14 minutes ago, jdickerson said:

Well, one INT YC room opened up, and there are still 8 Balcony YC rooms available... I called and the cost to upgrade to the Int room is ~$1400.Since it's little more than two weeks away and my upgrade offer is maxed out at $960, I'm gonna hold off pulling the trigger and hope the lower upgrade offer is accepted.

The $960 bid is for the int total or per person?

Watch the website daily as there is a good chance they could drop the fare.

1 hour ago, aero777 said:

What cabin type are you currently booked in, Aurea?

Bella with a deluxe balcony. Which is NOT what we booked, we booked an ocean view and they assigned us a large balcony. So if we don't get YC, we still basically got a $300 cabin upgrade for free.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdickerson said:

Bella with a deluxe balcony. Which is NOT what we booked, we booked an ocean view and they assigned us a large balcony. So if we don't get YC, we still basically got a $300 cabin upgrade for free.

That’s great! What’s your strategy on a drink package, if you’re getting one? 

Sailing on Meraviglia 9/18, 6 day run to Bermuda and back

Booked a BR1 balcony with Fantastica experience - 531.08 per person / 88.5 per day.

Placed a bid for a yacht inside - $350 per person / 58.33 per day.

Was notified last Sunday that our bid was accepted but the cabin is a YC1 balcony, called my TA to confirm that we have the YC1 cabin, and it's correct.

Still doing the happy dance !!!

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Booked a BR1 balcony with Fantastica experience - 531.08 per person / 88.5 per day.

Was notified last Sunday that our bid was accepted but the cabin is a YC1 balcony, called my TA to confirm that we have the YC1 cabin, and it's correct.

Wow! Great deal.

Congrats.  Yes YC1 has a balcony.  Look at your room number and a deck plan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

Awesome, same thing happened to my son and I in May for a 3 day. Bid for YC int, got a YC balcony. Methinks MSC will take our bid, as they like money. The only question is what we will get.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jdickerson said:

Awesome, same thing happened to my son and I in May for a 3 day. Bid for YC int, got a YC balcony. Methinks MSC will take our bid, as they like money. The only question is what we will get.

As long as they don't downgrade you it's usually a win win.

10 hours ago, Mark_T said:

If you win the YC bid, you'll get upgraded to the Premium Extra package.

Yup, have only paid OOP for the YC twice... The other two times were upgrades. The Premium Extra is nice. Not as nice as the Premium Plus NCL drink package (which is TOTALLY worth upgrading, especially of you like wine and Scotch), but still nice.

HOLY CRAP! IT HAPPENED!

They accepted our offer and put us in YC Deluxe balcony! So for the price on ONE YC person my wife and I am getting in (total cost $2600, the "rack rate" for that room is $5300)! Happy birthday to me!

Edited by jdickerson
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Até said:

On several MV sailing I've been watching there are lots of unsold YC cabins less than a month before sailing.   Chances of winning any upgrade bid over minimum look good.

We sail in under six weeks.  Our sailing not many yc open but sailing before, lots.

16 hours ago, jdickerson said:

HOLY CRAP! IT HAPPENED!

They accepted our offer and put us in YC Deluxe balcony! So for the price on ONE YC person my wife and I am getting in (total cost $2600, the "rack rate" for that room is $5300)! Happy birthday to me!

Congrats!! That's an awesome deal. 

I really don't understand their rationale with the bidding. We have two YC cabins next week. An interior and a deluxe balcony. To upgrade the interior to a balcony, it's a min bid of $1,095pp. That puts it up to the "rack rate" for that cabin. There's no way we'd bid for either of our cabins. The min bids to upgrade our balcony go as high as $6,000 a person.

17 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

Congrats!! That's an awesome deal. 

I really don't understand their rationale with the bidding. We have two YC cabins next week. An interior and a deluxe balcony. To upgrade the interior to a balcony, it's a min bid of $1,095pp. That puts it up to the "rack rate" for that cabin. There's no way we'd bid for either of our cabins. The min bids to upgrade our balcony go as high as $6,000 a person.

That is precisely why we were bumped to a deluxe. Anyone who already HAS an Int YC will say NO WAY to that upgrade charge... And since there were not any INT rooms remaining for our cruise they took our money and bumped us up to a deluxe balcony. I'm just surprised it happened almost two weeks before the cruise and not at the last minute. But they still have five YC Deluxe available so I guess they decided to pull the trigger.

12 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

I really don't understand their rationale with the bidding.

These have to be anomalies. Rare. Exciting. Giving hope to others to attempt the same. For us that book 1-2 years ahead, it is of little value. Perhaps warning us to book the upgrade from the start as it will not be available once one boards the ship. Many have been known to do that on boarding day. Go to concierge desk and see if there is an upgrade available at a lower cost generally than booking it originally. It must be a better way to pack a ship, to do this a week or two ahead of sailing ?

26 minutes ago, jdickerson said:

That is precisely why we were bumped to a deluxe. Anyone who already HAS an Int YC will say NO WAY to that upgrade charge...

Yeah, so why not give the YC interior a more attractive offer? Take $960 from both upgrades. At least lower the min bids. Then they can decide what the best combo is.

3 hours ago, Hutcha said:

Yeah, so why not give the YC interior a more attractive offer? Take $960 from both upgrades. At least lower the min bids. Then they can decide what the best combo is.

Agreed, I can't figure out how they price these things. If INt YC is already $1200+ per person, make the base bid to upgrade to a deluxe be cheaper. As it is we have gotten a HUGE bargain... Like, half the rack rate. And if they don't sell those five remaining YC rooms, they get NO money. So yea, ask at check in if you can upgrade, and make an offer.

• Like 1