P&O Cruiser does a Saga Cruise

Dermotsgirl

I doubt as if I’d feel it was so intrusive on Iona, as there are many more dining options available on Iona so I wouldn’t be dining in the MDR all the time, and I’d be picking my own tables for breakfast and lunch at other, more casual venues.

I’m guessing the Saga illustration is Spirit of Discovery? It was similar on SoA, but in some cases even closer, the same as a 4 seater table.  

27 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

If you do not want to be sociable you can always get room service.

Why would I want to eat in my cabin all the time? 

I was on holiday, and I like eating out on holiday and seeing what’s going on around me.

it’s not about ‘not wanting to be sociable’. I’m an introvert, and too much talking to strangers is something that is not enjoyable to me, can be a bit of an effort, and can put a strain on me.

I just want to enjoy my meals in my own way, it shouldn’t be too much of an effort to do this, but it was challenging quite often on this cruise. 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

That’s a rather crass comment. There are a number of us on this forum who, for various health reasons, could not really entertain shared tables. Furthermore, many others just do not wish to share a table with complete strangers and that is their right. Those who are new to cruising (P&Os new target market) would probably find the concept of sharing with strangers to be very odd concept indeed. I would never consider anyone who wishes to dine solely with their travel companion(s) to be anti-social. Whether it’s a need or purely a matter of personal preference, it should be achievable without being judged. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting. Thanks. Bit of a joke calling those tables for 2 as they are really tables for 4. 

No different to majority of the Cunard or P&O layout, so really no tables for 2 on most cruise ships

On P&O Epicurean is tables for 2 well spaced

images.jpeg

But beach house is even closer than MDR

HorizonRestaurant_Creditmustbegiventophotographer.thumb.jpg.7d0583f968b595cf2658560b5d37b230.jpg

We like our privacy in morning , as not morning people and still half asleep,  so glad to be having breakfast in Epicurean. 

However like a chat in evening, but plan to eat mainly in Epicurean most often , Sindhu and othes occasionally. Can you opt to share in Epicurean or does it work like a shoreside restaurant.

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

No different to majority of the Cunard or P&O layout, so really no tables for 2 on most cruise ships

On P&O Epicurean is tables for 2

images.jpeg

Yet on QM2 (PG) plus Iona, Britannia, Ventura and Aurora MDRs we have always managed to get ‘proper’ tables for 2 that aren’t just inches apart from other tables and in Epicurean we have often been given a 4 top set for just 2. It could, of course, be partly down to the fact that my wife is in a wheelchair.

14 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That’s a rather crass comment. There are a number of us on this forum who, for various health reasons, could not really entertain shared tables. Furthermore, many others just do not wish to share a table with complete strangers and that is their right. Those who are new to cruising (P&Os new target market) would probably find the concept of sharing with strangers to be very odd concept indeed. I would never consider anyone who wishes to dine solely with their travel companion(s) to be anti-social. Whether it’s a need or purely a matter of personal preference, it should be achievable without being judged. 

But if we roll back a little more than 5 years ago, then the vast majority of cruise passengers were dining on sharing tables. Certainly when we  first started cruising at the turn of the century tables for two were like hens teeth, and very difficult to reserve in fixed dining, and required taking a pager and wait quite a while in freedom dining, when that came along.

I realise that C****d has changed the situation and many more couples now want a table for 2, and for some with weaker immune systems, it is even more essential.

Personally I quite enjoy a shared table in Freedom dining, and enjoying the company of lots of diverse characters, especially when on a cruise line with a cosmopolitan passenger mix. But I also accept that most main stream cruise lines need to squeeze as many tables into each MDR as possible, and if I want to cruise with them I have to accept these limitations, or pay a much higher price if I want something more spacious.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But if we roll back a little more than 5 years ago, then the vast majority of cruise passengers were dining on sharing tables. Certainly when we  first started cruising at the turn of the century tables for two were like hens teeth, and very difficult to reserve in fixed dining, and required taking a pager and wait quite a while in freedom dining, when that came along.

I realise that C****d has changed the situation and many more couples now want a table for 2, and for some with weaker immune systems, it is even more essential.

Personally I quite enjoy a shared table in Freedom dining, and enjoying the company of lots of diverse characters, especially when on a cruise line with a cosmopolitan passenger mix. But I also accept that most main stream cruise lines need to squeeze as many tables into each MDR as possible, and if I want to cruise with them I have to accept these limitations, or pay a much higher price if I want something more spacious.

We used to always share as well, but times they are a changin’ 😂 Traditional cruisers who have no issues to worry about when it comes to sharing may well continue to do so, but will probably become a smaller and smaller percentage of the passenger base as each year passes.

Looking at the photo’s posted in this thread it seems that you don’t necessarily get more space by paying a much higher price!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yet on QM2 (PG) plus Iona, Britannia, Ventura and Aurora MDRs we have always managed to get ‘proper’ tables for 2 that aren’t just inches apart from other tables and in Epicurean we have often been given a 4 top set for just 2. It could, of course, be partly down to the fact that my wife is in a wheelchair.

On QM2(PG) the vast majority,  95% of tables for 2 are in rows a few inches away from others.  You quite rightly were given a table with more space around it. 

Only been on Aurora and we chose a table for 6, thus was years ago, there were very few tables for 2. Can't say anything about others.

As someone said post covid tables for two are now what the majority demand. The only way to fit them in in mainline cruise ships is as close as possible.  

Going back to Saga with a passenger space ratio of 60 compared to Iona's 30. They must have made a conscious decision to go for shared tables and normal for cruise ships high density dining.  This allows the rest of the public spaces, e.g. living room , Britannia lounge , library with a coffe bar etc to feel very spacious. 

25 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

On QM2(PG) the vast majority,  95% of tables for 2 are in rows a few inches away from others.  You quite rightly were given a table with more space around it. 

Only been on Aurora and we chose a table for 6, thus was years ago, there were very few tables for 2. Can't say anything about others.

As someone said post covid tables for two are now what the majority demand. The only way to fit them in in mainline cruise ships is as close as possible.  

Going back to Saga with a passenger space ratio of 60 compared to Iona's 30. They must have made a conscious decision to go for shared tables and normal for cruise ships high density dining.  This allows the rest of the public spaces, e.g. living room , Britannia lounge , library with a coffe bar etc to feel very spacious. 

Yes we were very surprised at how close together the tables for 2 were in both PG and QG. 

With the older passenger profile on Saga I guess that they still have a sizeable number of passengers who are happy sharing?

We have done more cruises on Aurora than any other P&O ship and when we started needing a table for 2 they would often give us a 4 top just for the 2 of us. 

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

On P&O Epicurean is tables for 2 well spaced

images.jpeg

But beach house is even closer than MDR

HorizonRestaurant_Creditmustbegiventophotographer.thumb.jpg.7d0583f968b595cf2658560b5d37b230.jpg

We like our privacy in morning , as not morning people and still half asleep,  so glad to be having breakfast in Epicurean. 

However like a chat in evening, but plan to eat mainly in Epicurean most often , Sindhu and othes occasionally. Can you opt to share in Epicurean or does it work like a shoreside restaurant.

Celebrity's tables for 2 in the MDR are just the same. The select dining venues are better. Think all cruise ships are the same time be honest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

We used to always share as well, but times they are a changin’ 😂 Traditional cruisers who have no issues to worry about when it comes to sharing may well continue to do so, but will probably become a smaller and smaller percentage of the passenger base as each year passes.

Looking at the photo’s posted in this thread it seems that you don’t necessarily get more space by paying a much higher price!

But I don't see any photos of Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal or Regent seven seas on here, which are the true luxury brands. Also we have seem from comments in this thread that Saga don't offer much more space than P&O, so maybe Oceana, Viking, and Azamara are not much better either.

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

All the speciality restaurants, including Epicurean, work more like shoreside restaurants. I guess that technically you could share, but the restaurant manager would need to know in advance so as to ensure that a correctly sized table is set up. However, in reality, I doubt very much that you’d find anyone else willing to share. The sharing concept is pretty much reserved for the MDRs.  

The only exception that I’ve heard of is when people on sharing tables from the fixed dining MDR dine together in a Select dining restaurant but, again, that’s through a pre-booking. 

Edited by Selbourne

5 hours ago, Fionboard said:

In our case, my husband and I want to chat to each other in our first language. We go on holiday to have quality time together as life can be hectic at home! It’s definitely not a case of being unsociable. We don’t mind sharing in the buffet or even lunch time, but dinner, no way. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fionboard said:

We too would always want a table for two.  We go away for 'our' time, we want to enjoy each  other's Company, especially at dinner with a nice glass of wine, a bit dressed up etc.

• Like 5

I did not say antisocial. However travelling alone is very different from travelling as a couple. I would hate to dine alone on a cruise as I do that at home. I can see the posters point though about the crowding of tables nowadays. Difficult to find a bit of  your own space if you want that. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

2 please. Do you want a table for 2 sir, of will you share ?. Not bothered, whatever's  quickest.....If a shared table is full of stuffy bores,we may not get them next time.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

But I don't see any photos of Seabourn, Silversea, Crystal or Regent seven seas on here, which are the true luxury brands. Also we have seem from comments in this thread that Saga don't offer much more space than P&O, so maybe Oceana, Viking, and Azamara are not much better either.

Celebrity and RC are pretty much the same as P&O. Warners are very spacious, as are wetherspoons.🤣

Firstly space on a cruise ship is far more limited than shore based. A suite at 45sqm would be an ordinary room , a deluxe balcony at 20sqm would be a small room on land 

The common currency for comparing space across ships is passenger space ratio. 

Iona, Arvia and mega ships less than 30

Aurora and traditional ships  35 to 40

Saga 60

Seabourn etc 75 to 80.

It's how they use the extra space.

The traditional ships with club dining had to accommodate half the passengers at any one time.

If you want true freedom dining no queues you need nearly as many seats as passengers, ie twice the space of club

From what we hear on this forum, with queues on Ariva on Iona, this is not the case, people question if they need to use some tables three times, and think they have less seats per passenger than traditional ships.

Saga is the only line to publish how many seats it has (see guide to SOD) 740 in MDR plus speciality,  300 in grill. 1040 for 890 guests.  They have done this by sharing and less space between twos.They could have had more space with less tables, but then that would mean more potential for queues..

Cunard to give everyone in grills their own table is tightly packed , but still two  sittings for majority of ship.

I expect the expensive ships they still prioritise number of tables ,  and no queues over space between tables.   Not being able to get a table when you want on a premium ship is a bigger no no , than slightly tighter tables , space is still at a premium

Edited by Windsurfboy