Insurance help please

Heatherco

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Yes currently I am fully covered with Chase as the deposits are purchased with said card.  I will have to review Nationwide.  BTW, the parent is very aged so has all of that.  Thank you very much

But you are not fully covered by Chase if your cancellation is caused by a parent’s pre-existing condition. The 60-day look-back begins at initial deposit for credit card coverage. The insurance company will examine the medical records of anyone involved in the claim, and If it is determined to be based on a pre-existing condition, it will be denied.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Babr said:

But you are not fully covered by Chase if your cancellation is caused by a parent’s pre-existing condition. The 60-day look-back begins at initial deposit for credit card coverage. The insurance company will examine the medical records of anyone involved in the claim, and If it is determined to be based on a pre-existing condition, it will be denied.

If the cruise deposit was paid 12 months ago and the final payment date is 90 days prior to sailing, you are saying it is not covered?  If so I don't need travel insurance.  This is really my own reason for having travel insurance, otherwise I am willing to take my own losses caused by my own hand

Edited by Mary229

1 hour ago, Babr said:

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

If the cruise deposit was paid 12 months ago and the final payment date is 90 days prior to sailing, you are saying it is not covered?

Chase will not cover cancelation or interruption due to a pre-existing condition.  If your parent has a pre-existing condition, the date you made the deposit or final payment makes no difference.

That said, your booking or initial payment date could impact whether someone actually has a pre-existing condition. Believe it or not you/they could have a pre-existing condition for some cruises and not for others.  Here is the definition for my Chase card.  I expect yours to be the same or similar.

Pre–existing Condition – illness, disease or accidental injury of You or Your Traveling Companion, Your Immediate Family Member or the Immediate Family Member of Your Traveling Companion, for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the sixty (60) day period immediately prior to the initial deposit or booking date (whichever occurs first) of a Trip; the taking of prescription drugs or medication for a controlled condition throughout this sixty (60) day period will not be considered to be a treatment of illness or disease

This is way more complicated than it should be.  Unfortunately many people think they are covered for something and only find out that they are not when they file a claim.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Chase will not cover cancelation or interruption due to a pre-existing condition.  If your parent has a pre-existing condition, the date you made the deposit or final payment makes no difference.

That said, your booking or initial payment date could impact whether someone actually has a pre-existing condition. Believe it or not you/they could have a pre-existing condition for some cruises and not for others.  Here is the definition for my Chase card.  I expect yours to be the same or similar.

Pre–existing Condition – illness, disease or accidental injury of You or Your Traveling Companion, Your Immediate Family Member or the Immediate Family Member of Your Traveling Companion, for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the sixty (60) day period immediately prior to the initial deposit or booking date (whichever occurs first) of a Trip; the taking of prescription drugs or medication for a controlled condition throughout this sixty (60) day period will not be considered to be a treatment of illness or disease

This is way more complicated than it should be.  Unfortunately many people think they are covered for something and only find out that they are not when they file a claim.

Thanks.  That helps me make a decision.  When a person is 90 everything is a pre-existing condition.