Insurance help please

Heatherco

7 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

I don't believe you could purchase Any travel insurance after final payment is due.

I don't believe that is true. I've purchased plans from insuremytrip.com for myself and people I work for closer to the  trip date.

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

GeoBlue also says its coverage area is outside of the US only.

Most people use their health insurance or medicare/secondary within the US. Those are not valid for international travel.

5 hours ago, Babr said:

The cancellation benefit is per policy per year so yes one claim could deplete that amount leaving you with no coverage for the rest of the year, depending on benefit level you choose and the cost of your cruise. The maximum is $15,000 for Allianz.

Yes that is true for the cancellation part of it but the medical and medical evacuation is still effective for each trip.

24 minutes ago, Jt4428 said:

Yes that is true for the cancellation part of it but the medical and medical evacuation is still effective for each trip.

Of course. Those coverages are per trip, but it leaves you flying naked, so to speak, for cancellation. You have to be willing to accept the risk unless you want to buy a single trip comprehensive policy for the remaining trips. Sort of defeats the purpose, doesn’t it?

6 minutes ago, Babr said:

Of course. Those coverages are per trip, but it leaves you flying naked, so to speak, for cancellation. You have to be willing to accept the risk unless you want to buy a single trip comprehensive policy for the remaining trips. Sort of defeats the purpose, doesn’t it?

Yes I agree. The people I work for  that I buy the annual Allianz policy for can afford to lose the trip fees. I buy it for them more for the medical and medical evacuation $'s. I filed a claim for our owner who fell on safari in Africa and needed to be airvac to Johannesburg for surgery. All medical and evacuation costs were paid through the claim. They even paid for a nurse to fly first class (they had first class tix) back to US with him since he was in his eighties. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jt4428 said:

Yes I agree. The people I work for  that I buy the annual Allianz policy for can afford to lose the trip fees. I buy it for them more for the medical and medical evacuation $'s. I filed a claim for our owner who fell on safari in Africa and needed to be airvac to Johannesburg for surgery. All medical and evacuation costs were paid through the claim. They even paid for a nurse to fly first class (they had first class tix) back to US with him since he was in his eighties. 

As expected. That is what the emergency transportation coverage provides when medically necessary. While the medical coverage itself is low at $50,000, it probably suits wealthy travelers who can make up the difference, but it is not the best choice for everyone.

1 minute ago, Babr said:

As expected. That is what the emergency transportation coverage provides when medically necessary. While the medical coverage itself is low at $50,000, it probably suits wealthy travelers who can make up the difference, but it is not the best choice for everyone.

Agree.

1 minute ago, Babr said:

Yes I agree. No different from wealthy people who have high deductibles on homeowners insurance.

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Should you have to cancel because you test positive for covid Royal will refund your cruise fare.    

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

Unfortunately, this looks like it was only for a month for sailings between April and May 2023.  I guess it is possible if Covid surges again, they could reinstate it but it sounds like it isn’t in effect at the present time.

Just now, Heatherco said:

Unfortunately, this looks like it was only for a month for sailings between April and May 2023.  I guess it is possible if Covid surges again, they could reinstate it but it sounds like it isn’t in effect at the present time.

While it is written that way they are still allowing this to happen.  It is definitely in effect.

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

While it is written that way they are still allowing this to happen.  It is definitely in effect.

Good to know, but without it in writing they can always say we aren’t going to cover it.  Not sure it is worth taking that risk.  Wish they would state it clearly on their site.

2 minutes ago, Heatherco said:

Good to know, but without it in writing they can always say we aren’t going to cover it.  Not sure it is worth taking that risk.  Wish they would state it clearly on their site.

It is clearly stated in the cruise ticket contract.  It is under section 4e and f.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/guest-terms/us/united-states-english/

20 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

It is clearly stated in the cruise ticket contract.  It is under section 4e and f.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/guest-terms/us/united-states-english/

Actually it refers you to their Covid and Refund Policy under section 5 which is the one that still states sailings between April and May.  

12 hours ago, Jt4428 said:

Most people use their health insurance or medicare/secondary within the US. Those are not valid for international travel.

Each traveler should check the specific terms of their own policy.

It is not correct for all policies that "health insurance or Medicare/secondary" is not valid for international travel.  *SOME* health insurance, and *some* Medicare "add-on" policies DO cover international travel.

There is definitely at least one:  ours. 😉 

The coverage is the same as for any out of network care, which is mostly for emergencies.  It's the same coverage overseas as anywhere in the USA, except that at home, "in network", everything is covered for much less in co-pays, etc.

We get travel insurance that covers medical, but we get it mostly for the cancellation or interruption coverage.  And we've had several such claims, including a couple of large ones.

Because we now get "primary" medical coverage on the travel insurance, we don't need to submit through our own health insurance first.  (That's good, because they aren't accustomed to those claims and tend to screw it up.  Very annoying!  We found that out on an early insured trip, when our travel medical coverage was secondary... It wasn't easy, but the coverage *is* there if needed.  Now, travel medical insurance always *primary* to keep it easier!)

GC

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Babr said:

Your credit card will cover some reasons for cancellation but none for pre-existing conditions. Everyone needs to understand what that means before they depend on credit card benefits in place of a comprehensive travel policy. There is a reason it is  included with all those other perks for just the cost of your annual fee.

Therefore, the word I chose in my suggestion was "some".  The problem is when one is quoted directly and then told something that's already implied in the original statement, it comes across as communicating primarily to correct the original poster.

If one is trying to add information, then a more general reference is adequate.

(Not just an insurance geek, but an English degree geek, too.)

16 hours ago, Jt4428 said:

Does this include any cancellation? I didn't see it but may have missed it.

Don't think so, but it's primarily a medical policy.  They have others, and that's why I suggested looking at you credit card benefits.  Chase Sapphire's travel bennies are pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding annual travel insurance, not annual medical travel - when do you need to buy this?  My first trip is January, my first final payment date is November.  Can I wait until 30 days before leaving or do I need to buy it before final payment date?  Currently all of my trips are on refundable deposits.  Thank you.

33 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Regarding annual travel insurance, not annual medical travel - when do you need to buy this?  My first trip is January, my first final payment date is November.  Can I wait until 30 days before leaving or do I need to buy it before final payment date?  Currently all of my trips are on refundable deposits.  Thank you.

Allianz requires you to purchase within 14 days of initial deposit if you want the pre-existing conditions waiver. Otherwise, coverage begins on the day after the premium is received.

Nationwide does not offer a waiver neither does credit card coverage.

51 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It all depends on the plan and your situation. 

All of the annual plans have a pre-existing conditions lookback period of 60 to 365 days and the pre-existing conditions clause often applies to non traveling family members.  If this affects you, then plan your purchase accordingly.  As @Babr mentioned, Allianz does offer a pre existing conditions waiver and they are the only company I am aware of that does this.  (** I have actually seen another one, but the cost structure makes it cheaper to purchase individual trip policies). 

Otherwise the timing should not matter, although purchasing by final payment date of your first trip will give you cancelation coverage for that trip.  Also - I have seen at least one policy that requires purchase at least 30 days before your first trip.

As with all trip insurance, you really need to read the policies you are considering.  It will answer your question.  More importantly, anyone considering an annual policy can understand its limitations and how they may or may not affect your. I assume you have already done your due diligence on this, but many have not.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

It all depends on the plan and your situation. 

All of the annual plans have a pre-existing conditions lookback period of 60 to 365 days and the pre-existing conditions clause often applies to non traveling family members.  If this affects you, then plan your purchase accordingly.  As @Babr mentioned, Allianz does offer a pre existing conditions waiver and they are the only company I am aware of that does this.  (** I have actually seen another one, but the cost structure makes it cheaper to purchase individual trip policies). 

Otherwise the timing should not matter, although purchasing by final payment date of your first trip will give you cancelation coverage for that trip.  Also - I have seen at least one policy that requires purchase at least 30 days before your first trip.

As with all trip insurance, you really need to read the policies you are considering.  It will answer your question.  More importantly, anyone considering an annual policy can understand its limitations and how they may or may not affect your. I assume you have already done your due diligence on this, but many have not.

This helps quite a bit.  So perhaps more background will help with a finer detail.  I do buy annual geoblue and have no preexisting.  As to the travel policy I only buy in case of a parent’s death and would need to cancel or return home in that event.  For this do I need to buy at refundable deposit, during the look back period or ?  What would be the latest possible date to buy?  Thank you 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

This helps quite a bit.  So perhaps more background will help with a finer detail.  I do buy annual geoblue and have no preexisting.  As to the travel policy I only buy in case of a parent’s death and would need to cancel or return home in that event.  For this do I need to buy at refundable deposit, during the look back period or ?  What would be the latest possible date to buy?  Thank you 

Without knowing the specific policy and your parent's health situation, it is impossible to give a definitive answer.  They all have their nuances.

Do your parents have any pre-existing conditions that could cause you to cancel or interrupt a trip? Make sure you understand the insurance company's definition of a pre-existing condition. In the unlikely situation where they don't have pre-existing conditions, the timing will not matter for most policies. But be sure to read your specific policy for any purchase timing requirements.

Any policy with a waiver of pre-existing conditions is great for everyone, even if they don't have a pre-existing condition.  The biggest advantage is in the claims process. The insurance company has no need to ask for prior medical records to prove there was no pre-existing condition. All you may need to prove is you were fit to travel on the day to purchased the policy.  If you want/need a waiver, Allianz is the only real choice with an annual policy.  As @Babr, mentioned you need to purchase within 14 days of your initial trip deposit.  It does not matter if the deposit is refundable or not.

Depending on your parent's health, you might be able to work with a policy that has a pre-existing condition lookback period. If your parents have not visited a doctor nor had a change in medications in the XX days prior to the day you purchase the policy, you might be ok. Even in this case, you will probably have to prove there was no pre-existing condition if you file a claim related to their health.  I say might, because it all depends on their condition and if it is controlled by a prescription. A doctor visit, might also be OK, depending on the purpose as written up in their medical records.

By the way, I see you also posted a question about credit card insurance.  If you are considering that route, all of the Chase cards with travel insurance have a 60 day pre-existing conditions lookback period that includes non-traveling family members. There is no waiver. 

PS - There may be annual plans with pre-existing conditions exclusions that do not apply to non-traveling family members.  I am just not sure.  Perhaps Nationwide??? 

Edited by Jersey42
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Without knowing the specific policy and your parent's health situation, it is impossible to give a definitive answer.  They all have their nuances.

Do your parents have any pre-existing conditions that could cause you to cancel or interrupt a trip? Make sure you understand the insurance company's definition of a pre-existing condition. In the unlikely situation where they don't have pre-existing conditions, the timing will not matter for most policies. But be sure to read your specific policy for any purchase timing requirements.

Any policy with a waiver of pre-existing conditions is great for everyone, even if they don't have a pre-existing condition.  The biggest advantage is in the claims process. The insurance company has no need to ask for prior medical records to prove there was no pre-existing condition. All you may need to prove is you were fit to travel on the day to purchased the policy.  If you want/need a waiver, Allianz is the only real choice with an annual policy.  As @Babr, mentioned you need to purchase within 14 days of your initial trip deposit.  It does not matter if the deposit is refundable or not.

Depending on your parent's health, you might be able to work with a policy that has a pre-existing condition lookback period. If your parents have not visited a doctor nor had a change in medications in the XX days prior to the day you purchase the policy, you might be ok. Even in this case, you will probably have to prove there was no pre-existing condition if you file a claim related to their health.  I say might, because it all depends on their condition and if it is controlled by a prescription. A doctor visit, might also be OK, depending on the purpose as written up in their medical records.

By the way, I see you also posted a question about credit card insurance.  If you are considering that route, all of the Chase cards with travel insurance have a 60 day pre-existing conditions lookback period that includes non-traveling family members. There is no waiver. 

PS - There may be annual plans with pre-existing conditions exclusions that do not apply to non-traveling family members.  I am just not sure.  Perhaps Nationwide??? 

Yes currently I am fully covered with Chase as the deposits are purchased with said card.  I will have to review Nationwide.  BTW, the parent is very aged so has all of that.  Thank you very much

Edited by Mary229