'Forced' pre cruise hotel - Takanawa Tokyo

Techno123

Because we are flying from the UK we have been provided with a forced overnight (only have a superior suite and 1 day off Silver). We thought we might be in a shipping container but have just had the Grand Prince Hotel Shin Takanawa come up as where we are staying. It seems to be a train ride into Tokyo central. Has anyone else stayed here or in the Takanawa area? Any hints or tips 😁

It is a nice area by Shinegawa station. If Regent is not providing transfers (and you can manage your luggage), it is very simple to take the Narita Express fast train from the airport to Shinegawa.  The hotel is across a very busy street from the station. Also easily accessed from Haneda but you are on a local train not the airport express 

There are a lot of office buildings and shops in the area - it is a modern business/residential district Close to the river with a good path/walkway for a morning run/walk. Many restaurants in the area although they are not all obvious since they are in the office buildings.  The concierge at the hotel can suggest.  You can access all the Tokyo train lines from the station. 

I have not stayed at that hotel - used to stay at the Intercontinental Strings which is on the other side of the station

Depending on when your flight arrives there may be more convenient options closer to the airport if you only need one night in a hotel. 

• Like 1

@m'ellen it is a Regent organised hotel so the transfers are included too - it's just for the UK (and perhaps others) Regent are 'forced' to give us overnight accommodation.  We arrive at 7:30 am so plan is dump bags at hotel, drink lots of coffee and do 'something' in Tokyo. Probably train in then either a walking tour or HoHo to see the main sights. Very early night, relaxed morning then join the Explorer 😁. Hotel looks OK, we were a bit concerned we may end up under a bridge or in a shipping container 😜😂😂. Also looks relatively close to cruise port.

Mrlevin,

We decided to visit Japan on a land trip instead.  The places we wanted to visit are not really close to the ports Regent stops at and we are not enamored of long bus tours!

We booked the new Silversea Nova instead for a Panama Canal cruise next April (hopefully the drought in Panama will be over by then and easy transit through the canal will be available again)

Hi @Techno123 whilst I can't say I'm familiar with Takanawa, I see the Yamanote (circle) line of the subway passes through the (new) station which means the whole of the city is at your fingertips.  It's a fast and frequent service and fun to ride - little Japanese quirks to observe, like the tune played as the train arrives at each station.  I know you don't have long it the city but I'd be chomping on the bit to get out there - it's easy to buy a day train ticket but of course, maybe the HOHO bus could give you a better overview.  I've blogged quite a bit about our days in Japan but this one in particular might be of interest for its insight into the kinds of things we love about the city and the ease with which it's possible to get around.  

PS don't underestimate the fun to be had by doing the simplest things - buying a tin of (hot) coffee from a vending machine for example 😉

Edited by Gilly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Gilly thank you so much for your ideas. The reviews of the HOHO don't seem great so we might take the subway and then choose some things to see and either walk or tube between them. We were considering a bike tour but the people we are travelling with (Regent 1st timers 😁) might not be so keen. We are landing much earlier than originally planned so if we don't drop from exhaustion, hoping to see as much as we can perhaps into the evening so we can see Tokyo lit up.

just been reading your Okinawa blog - I may have to donate my place on the military excursion as their booking hadn't gone through. There are still some places on the bingata one though. I know where to find my bedtime reading now

Thanks again 😁

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Techno123 said:

There are still some places on the bingata one though. I know where to find my bedtime reading now

The Bingata  activity was fun and the tour was good.  I'd have no hesitation in doing that one (again)!

Happy to help - leave a comment on my blog and I'll get back to you.  Gx

• Thanks 1

I recall it was all very controlled and far less messy than the workshops I usually go to (or teach!!) but I guess I'd avoid wearing something white or especially precious "just in case".  Fabric dye tends to be pretty permanent even before fixing (and especially if it splashes somewhere you didn't intend!)

• Like 2