Izmir private guide

We will be visiting Izmir next year, which is basically known for visiting Ephesus. We have done that, including the terrace houses with a private guide in the past out of Kusadasi. 
We are likely going to revisit Ephesus as I have not really found other places that stand out near Izmir. I could certainly be missing something,  so open to suggestions!  Either way, we would like a private guide for that day.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

thank you!

9 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We will be visiting Izmir next year, which is basically known for visiting Ephesus. We have done that, including the terrace houses with a private guide in the past out of Kusadasi. 
We are likely going to revisit Ephesus as I have not really found other places that stand out near Izmir. I could certainly be missing something,  so open to suggestions!  Either way, we would like a private guide for that day.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

thank you!

I know you don’t enjoy long drives but consider a visit to the site of ancient Pergamon since you’ve already been to Ephesus. It is an important and visually stunning site with its temple on the hilltop and steep, steep theatre built into the cliff side. If you’ve ever been to Berlin, their Pergamum museum is named for the elaborate altar that was removed wholesale from the site and taken to Germany by German excavators (rather like the Elgin marbles). There is also the best healing center (Aesculapeum) I’ve seen at any ancient site — more impressive than the one at Epidavros.

Should you not want to do this, I also have looked into some ancient remains of Izmir, itself an important city in antiquity, and one that boasts a good museum as well. If interested, post here and when I’m back from my current cruise I will look at my info and post more.

Thanks Cruisemom42. I know I can always count on you having ideas…..even when you are on your own trip as I know you are right now. Enjoy!  I will look at this for sure. I do want to locate a guide for this port. 

Edited by Vineyard View