Meraviglia: Mattress Topper

CTGirl74

I tried searching this forum, but didn't find many posts about it. I know cabin stewards will provide a mattress topper if I ask for it, but does anyone know how thick it is? Also, is it memory foam or something else? 

We'll be doing the NE & Canada cruise in October (YC), which is 11 nights out of Brooklyn on the Meraviglia. I've had lumbar fusion and recently had hip replacement. Both have helped me a lot; however, I still struggle with bursitis in both hips (3+ years!). A firm mattress for 11 nights will be a torture device for me, even with pain meds. At home we use a Sleep Number bed, which I set at 55 (medium firmness) and my husband sets his side at 100 (concrete!). I have a three-inch memory foam mattress topper with a one-inch pillow top over that. I realize I won't get the same thing on the ship, but I'm hoping for something more than a half-inch of padding. If necessary, though, I can buy a topper when we stop in Boston (I've already mapped out the nearest Target) if what they provide isn't enough.

I suggest if you need an egg crate mattress topper, you take your own.  On Seaside last week, I asked cabin attendant for en egg crate topper and what I got was a second layer of the quilted mattress topper…which was minimally helpful.  I slept better when I napped on the couch.  EM

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I suggest if you need an egg crate mattress topper, you take your own.  On Seaside last week, I asked cabin attendant for en egg crate topper and what I got was a second layer of the quilted mattress topper…which was minimally helpful.  I slept better when I napped on the couch.  EM

Thanks. When they push the twin beds together to create one bed, is it queen sized or king?

On 8/26/2023 at 8:38 AM, Essiesmom said:

So it sounds like this is a fleet wide issue.  Just off Meraviglia, 14 cruises and that was the most uncomforatable bed we have ever had.  Honestly sleeping on the floor might have been more comfortable.  Not a deal breaker, but given the number of cruise lines out there something to keep in mind when booking.  

13 hours ago, darwinsrule said:

So it sounds like this is a fleet wide issue.  Just off Meraviglia, 14 cruises and that was the most uncomforatable bed we have ever had.  Honestly sleeping on the floor might have been more comfortable.  Not a deal breaker, but given the number of cruise lines out there something to keep in mind when booking.  

Yes, this is what I'm afraid of. These days, it's definitely a deal breaker for me. My upcoming cruise is 11 nights and I would need something more than an egg crate if the bed isn't at least somewhat soft. I've decided that if it's not doable for 11 nights, I'll take an Uber to Target at the Boston port and buy my own 3 inch memory foam topper. I did that at a hotel recently when I went to a concert in Syracuse. The bed was terrible, even for two nights, so I found a Walmart and spen 84.00 on a 3 inch twin-sized memory foam topper. It wasn't big enough to cover the whole bed, but it covered my sleeping area and it worked very well. I brought it home to use on a twin bed in the guest bedroom. So, not a waste of money at all.

On 8/30/2023 at 3:58 PM, Essiesmom said:

That looks like it might work when traveling with children who are not comfortable in upper bunks.  EM

I’m not sure how the beds are on MSC, but on Royal they can be rock hard. DH and I each have one and they are great. You can get them in different lengths and widths. They also have insulated ones for people camping or just want a very warm bed. I’m sure they would be perfect for uncomfortable bunks.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 6:56 PM, ReneeFLL said:

We use these which really help with hard beds. You can make it more firm or softer with the amount of air you put in. It also rolls up into a small pouch. Have used it for about 30 cruises and still love it. Try it at home first.

https://klymit.gathroutdoors.com/collections/sleeping-pads

It arrives tomorrow! Thanks so much for the recommendation. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CTGirl74 said:

It arrives tomorrow! Thanks so much for the recommendation. 

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. I read some reviews where people said they didn’t hold air before they went camping so I would test it out first. Also, if the valves aren’t tight enough it will slowly leak air, but just don’t over tighten them. I quit rolling it up and putting it in the bag it came in. I just fold it up some and lay it on top of my clothes before closing up my luggage. Seems to take up less room that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1