JFK Taxi or Lyft on a Saturday

mdj59

5 minutes ago, mdj59 said:

We’re arriving at JFK on a Saturday around 5:30pm and heading to midtown. What’s our best bet, a taxi or Uber, considering it is the weekend?Thanks!

It doesn't matter all that much. Taxis between JFK and Manhattan are on a flat fare rather than the meter and the pricing of taxis, Uber, Lyft or a car service such as Carmel Limo are usually fairly close .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mdj59 said:

We’re arriving at JFK on a Saturday around 5:30pm and heading to midtown. What’s our best bet, a taxi or Uber, considering it is the weekend?Thanks!

If use of public transportation were not practicable, then ordinarily my preference would be taxi rather than any type of reserved FHV. This is because a taxi is not prearranged, meaning that I would be able to depart the airport at any time, when I am ready, and to be able to use any taxi found. An Uber service requires leaving the airport only when the driver is ready to do so, and it requires the passenger to go searching among all the motor vehicles at the airport for one particular vehicle and driver. My reasoning here is similar to that of ordinarily preferring the use of unreserved trains, rather than a have a reserved seat, at least for relatively short trips . . . there's much more flexibility in not being committed to a reservation.

40 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It makes absolutely no difference. It's your choice...you're free to do either.

I know it's a strange question.  In some cities I thought they charge you more to use credit card so it's less to pay cash?   

Many years ago in a different city, we were told later that we really over-tipped when we paid cash for what was on meter plus tip.   

2 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

I know it's a strange question.  In some cities I thought they charge you more to use credit card so it's less to pay cash?   

Many years ago in a different city, we were told later that we really over-tipped when we paid cash for what was on meter plus tip.   

There are places (some gas stations come to mind) where the cash price is cheaper. But the fare for a taxi in NY is what’s on the meter, and it’s the same whether you pay cash or by credit card. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

In NYC taxi fare is the same regardless of whether you pay by cash or credit card.

I'm not sure what your tipping comment means. 

• Thanks 1