Britannia broke her lines

kalos

There's been some brilliantly sensationalist reporting in various national and regional newspapers regarding this event but I think the report in the South Wales Argus possibly takes the biscuit

"ONE passenger and her family from Blackwood are having a “horrific experience” after a storm hit their boat and caused them to crash off the coast of Palma in Mallorca during a P&O cruise.

According to people on board, strong winds from the storm blew the top deck off, broke the anchors and sent them careering into a freight vessel."

Blackwood passenger's "horrifying experience" of ship crash | South Wales Argus

It's well accepted that this newspaper is notorious for their alarmist sensationalism  reporting but they have certainly excelled themselves on this occasion, unless of course the wind did actually blow the top deck off!

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

5 minutes ago, AchileLauro said:

There's been some brilliantly sensationalist reporting in various national and regional newspapers regarding this event but I think the report in the South Wales Argus possibly takes the biscuit

"ONE passenger and her family from Blackwood are having a “horrific experience” after a storm hit their boat and caused them to crash off the coast of Palma in Mallorca during a P&O cruise.

According to people on board, strong winds from the storm blew the top deck off, broke the anchors and sent them careering into a freight vessel."

Blackwood passenger's "horrifying experience" of ship crash | South Wales Argus

It's well accepted that this newspaper is notorious for their alarmist sensationalism  reporting but they have certainly excelled themselves on this occasion, unless of course the wind did actually blow the top deck off!

If the top beck of the boat has blown off they will probably cancel the next cruise.......No Anchors Gromit.🐄🐬🤣

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, AchileLauro said:

Not sure about that.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1806578/po-cruise-ship-crash-mallorca

Says "The Britannia, a 330-metre high ship" - no wonder that it succumbed to the wind if it was that tall

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

There doesn't seem to be much information flowing from the ship at the moment - I expect everyone is trying to sort out if they are staying or going

I read one report which said that in their party of three, one has been asked to go, and the other two can stay! 

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Someone on BBC stating he was selected but refused to go.  Also he has been offered 20% off his next cruise by way of compensation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-66639366

321 Passengers required to leave & offered 20% off a future cruise. P&O very generous as usual I would want a full refund for this one as well!.

7 minutes ago, FatBoy20 said:

321 Passengers required to leave & offered 20% off a future cruise. P&O very generous as usual I would want a full refund for this one as well!.

In no hurry to leave are they with that offer!

3 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Can you fly from Majorca to an airport near Southampton? If so I would be happy to get off and extend my holiday with a week in a nice hotel and return at my leisure. 

If P&O are offering only 20% off a future cruise for the ones that get off you have no hope of them funding an extra week in a Hotel & then a flight home. Dream on!.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, FatBoy20 said:

A full refund?  Firstly of all it's nature that caused this not P&O and secondly you are only losing about 3 days of the cruise.

• Like 20

Bearing in mind today's problems with UK air traffic control system, they may not be flying just yet.

Although - I got is seriously wrong in my reaction when somebody suggested that some passengers may have to be ofloaded - so daresay the air traffic will be sorted by the time I post this.

Shame that the cruise ended this way, but maybe we should start a thread for the most sensational mis reporting by the press agencies.

+

Oh - they've fixed it. But the BBC are now telling people to claim compensation - which does not apply when it is out of the airline's control.

1 minute ago, FatBoy20 said:

If P&O are offering only 20% off a future cruise for the ones that get off you have no hope of them funding an extra week in a Hotel & then a flight home. Dream on!.

Of course not. I meant I would pay for it myself! Just enquiring about flights as my car would be in Southampton. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

A full refund?  Firstly of all it's nature that caused this not P&O and secondly you are only losing about 3 days of the cruise.

We were on Ventura in 2019 when she broke down in Tenerife and we spent five days there.

50% refund of fare paid, plus I think £25pp OBC.  We were B2B with the following cruise, which was cancelled.  We got to stay on board for free for the run back to Southampton.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Someone on BBC stating he was selected but refused to go.  Also he has been offered 20% off his next cruise by way of compensation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-66639366

Looking at the family dressed for a summers day in Consell  (in film 50 sec) were not 

expecting that sort of weather as they cowered behind the wall .

To be honest I doubt anyone was expecting the weather to be that bad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

20% off a future cruise is a total insult for inconvenience, loss of a port and  lost 4 days of the cruise. 

This offer has no value if you choose not to sail P&O again.

Disembark from the ship to sit for ?? hours at an airport.

30 minutes ago, Mrs applehead said:

6 coaches have just arrived and people are getting off.

30 minutes ago, Mrs applehead said:

6 coaches have just arrived and people are getting off.

Have they made an offer they couldn’t refuse!?

• Haha 1

If they fly you back X days early , I would have thought that you are entitled to a refund of X days of what you paid for the cruise. That is simply payment for service not delivered. Basic consumer protection leglislation . Added to that hotel expenses if necessary. 

There is then the question of compensation on top of that for the disappointment etc. That is where P&O can be mean or generous. However the first element above is non negotiable. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Windsurfboy said:

If they fly you back X days early , I would have thought that you are entitled to a refund of X days of what you paid for the cruise. That is simply payment for service not delivered. Basic consumer protection leglislation . Added to that hotel expenses if necessary. 

There is then the question of compensation on top of that for the disappointment etc. That is where P&O can be mean or generous. However the first element above is non negotiable. 

Yes agree with that.  But a full refund is just ridiculous.

• Like 8

If P&O are expecting to pocket full fares of those returning home and deal with compensation via future cruise credit/discount then that is not on. Their own terms say they "will, where appropriate, compensate the Guest". Curtailment by operator should really give at-least a pro-rata refund of fare. It's how I would expect a credit card company to consider it; bought x night holiday, only got y nights, chargeback of x minus y nights due.

> ALTERATION AND CANCELLATION BY P&O CRUISES AFTER DEPARTURE

> 43. After departure, P&O Cruises does not guarantee that the ship will call at every port on the itinerary or follow every part of the advertised route or schedule or that every part of the Package will be provided. P&O Cruises reserves the absolute right to decide whether or not to omit any such port(s) and/or to call at additional ports and/or to change the advertised route, schedule or Package. If P&O Cruises is unable to provide a significant proportion of the Package, it will make suitable alternative arrangements, at no extra cost to the Guest, for the continuation of the Package. If the Guest does not accept them, for good reasons, or if it is impossible to make suitable alternative arrangements P&O Cruises will, where appropriate, provide the Guest with transport back to the place of departure or to another place to which P&O Cruises and the Guest have agreed. In both cases P&O Cruises will, where appropriate, compensate the Guest. P&O Cruises accepts responsibility for providing all the elements of the advertised Package but if it fails to do so, the Guest must inform P&O Cruises without undue delay if it considers that any of the Travel Services have not been performed in accordance with the Contract. Failure by the Guest to notify P&O Cruises about any lack of conformity of the Package may be taken into account when determining any price reduction or compensation for damages where such notice would have avoided or reduced the damage. P&O Cruises shall remedy any lack of conformity of the Travel Services under the Contract raised by the Guest unless it is impossible to do so, or will incur disproportionate costs, taking into account the extent of the lack of conformity and the value of the Travel Services affected. Please note that compensation will not be payable if an alteration is not significant or if P&O Cruises is not able to provide a significant proportion of the Package due to unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances.

Edited by Chrish2
spelling

Called insurance.

also things happening out side p&o control .  

flights are ground or have been delayed due to ATC.

I was on a cruise a couple of years back. Fly cruise,   Due to issue in the UK.  Our flight was nearly 20 hours late to arrive.   Extra night on board and then taken to hotel.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FatBoy20 said:

Might it not be better to wait until we hear what is actually being offered?  The article says that the person who refused to leave was offered a 20% FCC.  I read that as being what he was offered as a passenger who is remaining on the cruise. And that's only what he told the BBC.  The article doesn't say anything about what the passengers who are leaving are being offered.  I'm sure the truth will out in due course.  No doubt at least one of the passengers who are on board this cruise and who contributed to this thread will report back when they know.

ETA And if those who do remain on board get 20% FCC, that sounds quite fair to me, assuming they get back to Southampton on time.  They've suffered some disruption due to natural causes (weather, outside the control of P&O) and they will have missed one port, for which many will be able to claim on their insurance.

Edited by cruising.mark.uk
  • Like 5