Britannia broke her lines

kalos

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

We were on the QM2 when she snapped her ropes. It's quite a scary thing. 

However,  2 or 3 days into the cruise the captain announced that the forecast for Villefranche was not looking good and he had, therefore, taken the decision to cancel and we would go instead to Alghero, Sardinia.  Both these ports are tendered.  Apparently he made the right call as the weather was worse than expected and a Royal Caribbean ship had tried twice unsuccessfully to dock before giving up.

Did the captain on the Britannia have no advance warning at all, or was it just a sudden totally unexpected storm?

13 hours ago, Selbourne said:

There was a medical emergency when we were on Iona last week. From memory the announcement was “This is the Bridge. Medical Response Team to deck 18 Sun Deck”. That was repeated but no code words used. 

I heard Alpha Alpha used on Iona last December, also heard the MRT call on separate occasions. 

4 minutes ago, Gardenseat said:

It does beg the question, should large cruise ships have more moorings?

The way in which any ship is tied up is a complex operation that partly involves experience but more importantly what the naval architects who design the ship state. It is not just a question of throwing a few more lines over as doing it incorrectly can literally break a ship in half.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

The Captain has full responsibility where safety of the ship and passengers/crew are concerned, not Carnival.

Agreed but where decisions can be made in advance (such as missing a port) those decisions are made in conjunction with Carnival

1 minute ago, david63 said:

The way in which any ship is tied up is a complex operation that partly involves experience but more importantly what the naval architects who design the ship state. It is not just a question of throwing a few more lines over as doing it incorrectly can literally break a ship in half.

I would guess that they throw a few factors in the computer and it tells them how many lines and where etc, depending on the conditons. I would also guess that some old sea dog will rub his chin and say ' I wouldn't do that.'🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, david63 said:

We were on Vision of the seas in Costa Maya with strong winds , Captain got us in OK but we had two tenders pushing us up against the dock all day . Must have cost a pretty penny paying those fees ... 

After we had docked  a  Costa ship arrived , it made 3 attempts to approach and in the end  they gave up . Apparently  we had the best dock position for the direction of the wind but still needed those tenders all day . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

It can't be as cut and dried as that. 

We cruise because Michelle can't fly, she is having panic attacks here in case it ever happened to us and we are sitting at home😂

Andy 

Me too Andy! I don't fly, and like Michelle I've been having an attack of the vapours just thinking about being chosen, then dragged kicking and screaming onto a plane. Jane xx

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Reading all todays papers where one reports " The ship ploughed into a tanker "

whilst other papers say "The ship drifted into a tanker "

I think I will wait for the next series of Holidays From Hell 🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, david63 said:

Agreed but where decisions can be made in advance (such as missing a port) those decisions are made in conjunction with Carnival

Not wanting an argument. When decisions are made to miss a port due to weather, it is often at the last minute. Captains decision, noone else can or will over rule him/her.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, kalos said:

I’ve seen ‘hurtled’ as well 😂.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Quite normal for a bank holiday 😉🙃

Not a bank holiday up here and affecting Scotland as well. I have no wish to be Jove,s comforter to those onboard but it may (or may not) affect decisions to volunteer to fly home. Apparently an air traffic control technical fault.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, kalos said:

I read that people were in fear of their lives. I think that was the telegraph. I think Britannia ' crashed into the tanker'. I would say you couldn't make it up....but🤣

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Nope. That wouldn't make an item on Radio 4 News bulletin.

Only restrictions on UK air space (limited )  Just tracked a flight MCR- ABZ and that has just taken off .

I just hope those who are coming home are not stuck in the airport enduring delays caused by the computer system failure at the flight control centre that is causing chaos according to media reports. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

The Captain has full responsibility where safety of the ship and passengers/crew are concerned, not Carnival.

Wrong, we were on Aurora in Cherbourg in 2019, a water tight outer door was sealed shut properly but a warning light stating it was still open persisted, it was an electrical gremlin.

The captain told us he was happy but needed permission from Carnival operations and somewhere in Hamilton also where the ship is registered for us to legally sail, stating he neither owns or insures the ship but is just in charge of it.

Edited by Chrisdriving
  • Like 2

Obviously they have to let planes land first; takeoffs very much reduced at present, and it seems long haul are being prioritised.  All we need for those who are going to be flying back from Palma; hope the Air Control get back to usual business asap.

• Like 2