Laundry Service

Butterbean1000

The hubs and I have decided to fly to Miami for our next cruise.  We are planning to share one large suit case and a carry on a piece. This may seem like a lot, but I am an over packer so this will be a challenge for me.  I will be drastically paring down on what I bring with me.  I usually pack 2 outfits a day, several bathing suits and many shoes.  I am going to try to cut this in half.   My question is about the laundry service.  What is your opionion?  I have heard that it is very hard on your clothes as they use only hot water.  Can you request water temp?  What else are your thoughts?

Edited by Butterbean1000

It’s not possible to request water temperature.  They put your laundry in a mesh bag and wash it in an industrial sized washing machine and dryer along with other peoples’ laundry. It’s washed in hot water in order to sanitize it.  That being said, I have sent things like jeans, t-shirts, night gowns, underwear, socks, etc.  Nothing has been damaged, stained or shrunk in their laundry.  I wouldn’t send anything delicate or sentimental.  Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it's in hot water. No, they can't do warm and you wouldn't want that as it's all one big commercial washer. No, we don't ask too much of it focusing on underwear, socks and T-shirts plus other aged items.

We're doing 3+ weeks in Europe with carry-on only plus two backpacks. We'll do the same for Australia and the combined Trans-Pac. It's life changing. You wouldn't believe the crap I saw people boarding with in Dover.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

It’s not possible to request water temperature.  They put your laundry in a mesh bag and wash it in an industrial sized washing machine and dryer along with other peoples’ laundry. It’s washed in hot water in order to sanitize it.  That being said, I have sent things like jeans, t-shirts, night gowns, underwear, socks, etc.  Nothing has been damaged, stained or shrunk in their laundry.  I wouldn’t send anything delicate or sentimental.  Good luck!

Thanks.  I wouldn't  send delicate things anyway.  I usually wash these things in the sink and hang.  Anyway how much room does undies and bras take up?  I always bring extras.

23 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Another quessiton, sorry, first time plat.  Are you limited to just a one time wash?  I am a pro at stuffing a bag with stuff, is there a weight limit?  Just trying to plan here.

I don't think there is a weight limit but those fragile paper bags burst super easy, therefore limiting your yield! 

43 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Another quesiton, first time platinum. Are you limited to just a one time wash?

Complimentary Wash & Fold Laundry Service 

2 bags on 3-6 day cruises

3 bags on 7-13 day cruises

5 bags on 14+ day cruises 

(Click Here) - All Carnival VIFP Perks/Benefits

🍹

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In 25 cruises we have only had an issue w/the laundry service on 1 ship (I believe it was Dream).  I think they must have been short staffed, or maybe a new crew.

We had a few items come back wet out of the washer (not like damp from the dryer but like they had never been in the dryer).  Although strange, it wasn't a big deal, we just hung them up to dry.

Unfortunately we also had 2 shirts go missing (just workout tees so not a big deal but still disappointing).  Even though I filled out their itemized form, it was gone and no count was written on the bag (which they sometimes do instead).  So now I take picture of the form so I remember what/how many items I sent.

The hot water doesn't bother me (I'm kind OCD about sanitizing anyway).  I wouldn't send formal wear or anything like that, but I do send my Lululemon stuff (and some people think it's criminal to wash that in hot water and dry in the dryer).  🙂  It's always come out fine.

I haven't had any major issues other than some things come back quite wrinkled.   Also, one time I bought a new pack of three white t-shirts.   I sent one out to get washed and it really looked yellow-gray and shrunk next to one of the other new ones.  That being said, shrinkage is to be expected, especially the first time washing new clothes, but the discoloration was worse than I would have expected. 

Definitely wouldn't send anything delicate. 

1 hour ago, tigervixxxen said:

Does Carnival still have self serve washing machines? We used to knock out a load of laundry that way, much quicker and you weren’t subject to the commercial washers. 

Self-Service Launderettes are featured on most ships with the exception of the following: 

• Carnival Celebration, Carnival Jubilee and Mardi Gras do not have washers and dryers but have ironing rooms on several stateroom decks as well as Valet Laundry service.
  • Carnival Firenze, Carnival Luminosa and Carnival Venezia do not have washers, dryers nor ironing rooms but do offer Valet Laundry service.

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 3

On 8/27/2023 at 1:39 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

Thanks.  I wouldn't  send delicate things anyway.  I usually wash these things in the sink and hang.  Anyway how much room does undies and bras take up?  I always bring extras.

I just don't like to have dirty laundry piling up .

On 8/27/2023 at 2:10 PM, n6uqqq said:

I don't think there is a weight limit but those fragile paper bags burst super easy, therefore limiting your yield! 

I bring medium plastic waste basket bags from home and line the paper bag with them.  Roll clothes tightly and stuff it.  Duct tape it shut across the top.  You will be amazed how much you can fit. 

• Like 3