400 Gradi replaced by P&O Trattoria

From P&O.

🍕Goodbye Gradi...and hello to the NEW P&O Trattoria Italian Restaurant and P&O Pizzeria🍕

P&O's very own Italian restaurant and pizzeria will be replacing 400 Gradi and Gradi Pronto onboard all three of our ships, effective 2nd September 2023. 

Buon Appetito!

P&O Trattoria and P&O Pizzeria are specialty food options and prices do apply.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

From P&O.

🍕Goodbye Gradi...and hello to the NEW P&O Trattoria Italian Restaurant and P&O Pizzeria🍕

P&O's very own Italian restaurant and pizzeria will be replacing 400 Gradi and Gradi Pronto onboard all three of our ships, effective 2nd September 2023. 

Buon Appetito!

P&O Trattoria and P&O Pizzeria are specialty food options and prices do apply.

So no longer under the umbrella of the 400 Gradi chain, now just a regular cruise line Italian restaurant and pizzeria? Interesting!

21 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

So no longer under the umbrella of the 400 Gradi chain, now just a regular cruise line Italian restaurant and pizzeria? Interesting!

There would have been some sort of licensing arrangement between 400 Gradi and P&O, which has been fractured for whatever reason. The name must be worth selling cruises to be licensed that way, and while personally I would cruise P&O for the Luke Mangan menu, I wouldn't cruise P&O for 400 Gradi. I am yet to see a menu or pricing, but P&O Trattoria doesn't do it for me either - even at half the price. I get the feeling it will become a $$ per sitting vs a la carte.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

We went to Luke Mangan ONCE - they served up a can of opened sardines for one course!!!!!!!!

Pollastrini - best sardines I've ever had. This was part of an extra "pre-starter" tapas course, along with feta & olives and the like, and there was still three courses to follow. This extra course has been gone for over 10 years.

34 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Pollastrini - best sardines I've ever had. This was part of an extra "pre-starter" tapas course, along with feta & olives and the like, and there was still three courses to follow. This extra course has been gone for over 10 years.

Yes - nice sardines and they were good - we just were "surprised" by it - apparently it was the big new thing at that time in flash restaurants 🙂 You can buy them in Coles https://www.coles.com.au/product/polastrini-sardines-olive-oil-100g-3328350?uztq=46abcbb7e16253b0cdc3e6c5bbe6a3f0&cid=col_cpc_Generic|ColesSupermarkets|PLA|Deli|Australia|Broad&s_kwcid=AL!12693!3!589249668178!!!u!1928458922806!&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi7GnBhDXARIsAFLvH4kOpUPgAvbh_p5FcAM_o4fxPT_-MgVsKMmyuinDeqNJ2vej5svexfIaAvWnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by bazzaw
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

At $99 per kilo, I would want a waiter to peel back the lid for me. I might just have to settle for smoked kippers instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

There would have been some sort of licensing arrangement between 400 Gradi and P&O, which has been fractured for whatever reason. The name must be worth selling cruises to be licensed that way, and while personally I would cruise P&O for the Luke Mangan menu, I wouldn't cruise P&O for 400 Gradi. I am yet to see a menu or pricing, but P&O Trattoria doesn't do it for me either - even at half the price. I get the feeling it will become a $$ per sitting vs a la carte.

400 Gradi is a Melbourne restaurant / pizza group, one of the first true Neopolitan pizzerias in Australia. In Sydney we have Via Napoli instead. 400 Gradi (400 degrees Celsius) refers to the temperature the woodfired ovens have to reach to cook the pizzas in 90 seconds. 

Unfortunately I don't think cruise ship pizza ovens operate at this temperature which is why cruise ship pizza never comes out as good as a true Neopolitan pizza - they have to cook it much longer so it dries out more.

• 1 month later...

Gradi was a Melbourne thing and the name meant very little to people from other states. pizza is pizza, no matter what branding you give it and I've never had a pizza at sea as good as those I can get on land. I'll gab a free slice or two if its around but would never pay extra for a pizza at sea.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gerko said:

Gradi was a Melbourne thing and the name meant very little to people from other states. pizza is pizza, no matter what branding you give it and I've never had a pizza at sea as good as those I can get on land. I'll gab a free slice or two if its around but would never pay extra for a pizza at sea.

The same applies now for Alfredo's on Princess too. Unless you have a plus/premier package, there is a per head charge. Not something I would pay for either, but at least you can grab N/C slices of Princess pizza on deck.

• Like 1