Another flight question.

Cruiz'nBaers

I know this has probably been asked many times before, but, please indulge me.  I am trying to book a flight on our preferred airline for a return trip home after our cruise from San Diego.  Is 10:25AM too early to comfortably catch? It is the only direct flight that would get us home before 11:30PM.  Thanks for your help.

IMO that could be cutting it close. If the ship is delayed coming into port, if clearance is not promptly received, if luggage is not immediately available, if customs selects you as the one to "drill" - all impact your ability to arrive at airport in time.

Remember, for a 10:25 domestic flight, you would need to be at airport an hour before.

With that said, San Diego airport is close by and I've personally never encountered delays at either the cruise terminal or airport, but it only takes 1 little thing to go wonky. 

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cruiz'nBaers said:

I know this has probably been asked many times before, but, please indulge me.  I am trying to book a flight on our preferred airline for a return trip home after our cruise from San Diego.  Is 10:25AM too early to comfortably catch? It is the only direct flight that would get us home before 11:30PM.  Thanks for your help.

The earliest flight you can book on FlightEase is 11:00AM. 

Some things to consider if you want to go for it - are you the only ship in that day?  Is it over a holiday?  Do you have TSA precheck?  Also, are you able to carry your own luggage off?  So theoretically in a perfect scenario, you're the first people off the ship, grab a taxi and are at the airport in 10-15 minutes.  But things can and do happen through no fault of the cruise line and disembarkation can get delayed. 

You know the old saying - caveat emptor.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zelker said:

The earliest flight you can book on FlightEase is 11:00AM. 

I follow the guidance given by Flight Ease even when I book my own air.  I figure they have the experience and it is not their first rodeo.  

• Like 1

Just now, FlaMariner said:

I follow the guidance given by Flight Ease even when I book my own air.  I figure they have the experience and it is not their first rodeo.  

Us, too, which is why I posted that first.  But some people like to take chances. 🤷‍♀️

What time does your ship arrive into San Diego? 

If your ship has a scheduled arrival of no later than 7:00 a.m.,  there are no delays in berthing/gaining clearance, you self carry off your bags, and take a taxi to the airport, 10:25 a.m.is doable.  San Diego Airport is only 3 miles (around a 10 minute ride) from the Port of San Diego.

Customs/ clearance disembarking in San Diego can sometimes take a very long time for no apparent reason.  Other times it’s a snap.  But if they aren’t allowing anyone off the ship, there’s nothing you can do about it….

Maybe think about spending an extra night in SD if you don’t want to get home late? 
Good luck.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LynnSD said:

Customs/ clearance disembarking in San Diego can sometimes take a very long time for no apparent reason.  Other times it’s a snap.  But if they aren’t allowing anyone off the ship, there’s nothing you can do about it….

Maybe think about spending an extra night in SD if you don’t want to get home late? 
Good luck.  

Good thought!  Plenty of fine hotels right across the street from the pier and lots to do in the area.