Did my TA just pull a fast one? MNVV help please.

cakewalk73

Hi All,

Brand new to cruising, so please excuse the newbie question. 

I bought 2 MNVV certs from a TA, and used it on 2 future cruises.  From what I understand after reading several discussions here, it's $300 for each MNVV cert, which in turn would discount $300 + $300 = $600 off your total cruise fare and you get $600 in sailor loot?  If I have that correct? 

I booked the sailings last week Aug. 23, 2023 with the last promo.  The TA applied the MNVV certs, but only discounted the fare by $300.  Would there have been any reason I shouldn't have gotten the additional $300 discount?  I didn't fully understand the MNVV, the way she made it sound was that I only get the $300 off plus the $600 sailor loot.  It wasn't until I started reading the boards here, that I found out she might have pulled a fast one.  When I interviewed her she also mentioned another $100 additional sailor loot per booking, which also never happened, but I didn't even bother with that as I thought if it's coming out of her commission, I didn't want to take it from her.

I already paid it off in full to get the additional 10% off, so I think it's too late.  If I should have also gotten the additional $300 off for the MNVV and the TA, "conveniently forgot" to give it to me, that makes me feel really gross.  Could she keep the extra $600 ($300 x2 for 2 MNVV certs) and use it some other way?  She came highly recommended, and supposedly top 100 First Mate in the whole US.

If it's a hard lesson to learn then I guess I learned my lesson.  Sigh.  But seems like a short sighted move as I will now be looking for a new TA to handle my future business.  Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can impart. 

Edited by cakewalk73
added please to title

• cakewalk73 changed the title to Did my TA just pull a fast one? MNVV help please.

So in total $300 deposit + $300 discount should = to $600 off the cruise fare, correct?  Like say the total fare is $3,000 minus $600 = $2,400 remaining balance.  But she just took off the $300 deposit.  So it was like $3,000 - $300 = $2,700.  

Does that make sense?

Hi @cakewalk73

Work on the assumption this is just an oversight or misunderstand will help you either understand your fare or get it corrected.

For each MNVV voucher you have paid a $300 deposit. When you book you should get that deposit applied as a payment. They should also discount the fare by $300. Ask the TA to explain 1) where the deposit has been applied AND b) where the discount $300 discount has been applied.

Keep in mind the starting price might have been higher than you expect as lock it in rates do not apply.

When I booked using MNVV onboard there was some funky maths involved with the % off offer, solo occupancy and taxes. Unfortunately the booking email from Virgin Voyages don't seem to break down the fare cost sufficiently, unsure if TAs have a more detailed breakdown.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jon81uk said:

What was the agreement when you “bought” the deposit voucher from the TA? Did the TA charge you the deposit value and explain they will put that down as your deposit?

Oh, just noticed the opening line "I bought 2 MNVV certs from a TA". Maybe this is some-one flogging some pre-purchased MNVV certs. For some reason I was thinking this was "I bought 2 MNVV certs onboard". Explains the possible confusion and the TA may be operating in a grey area, still would expect the deposit applied unless special terms was attached to the sale/use of the cert.

Edited by Chrish2

2 hours ago, Chrish2 said:

Unfortunately the booking email from Virgin Voyages don't seem to break down the fare cost sufficiently, unsure if TAs have a more detailed breakdown.

Yes, the details on the consumer e-mails are quite light - often confusing. In the system used by TAs it's possible to see full details of the various discounts etc, although it can take a while to figure out exactly what's going on, especially if FVCs are used. In any case, the TA should be able to provide a detailed breakdown if required.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chrish2 said:

Hi @cakewalk73

Work on the assumption this is just an oversight or misunderstand will help you either understand your fare or get it corrected.

For each MNVV voucher you have paid a $300 deposit. When you book you should get that deposit applied as a payment. They should also discount the fare by $300. Ask the TA to explain 1) where the deposit has been applied AND b) where the discount $300 discount has been applied.

Keep in mind the starting price might have been higher than you expect as lock it in rates do not apply.

When I booked using MNVV onboard there was some funky maths involved with the % off offer, solo occupancy and taxes. Unfortunately the booking email from Virgin Voyages don't seem to break down the fare cost sufficiently, unsure if TAs have a more detailed breakdown.

This!  Especially the funky math.  A year ago, they were taking the percentage off whatever cruise fare portion of the ticket was left after any other discounts.  That was supposedly fixed, so that they now take it off the original cruise fare, but don't count on it.

When VV lists the accounting for a TA, it shows up differently than what the guests see, but the totals should be the same.  For example, when they applied my 10% off, they just readjusted the cruise fare on the document they sent to me...but TA could see the original fare and then the discount.  And the 10% is always off just the cruise fare portion of the ticket, not off the portion that is "taxes and government fees."  You can see what the taxes are when you make a fake or real booking on line and in the TA accounting, but it doesn't show up on your confirmation.  Example...you have a total cruise fare of $3000, about $300 is likely to be taxes.  When they take the 10% off, it will be $270, which is 10% of the cruise fare portion.

On the MNVV, if you paid a deposit and then later the balance, they show $300 applied to the deposit and then $300 off the cruise fare.    When I did the whole booking at once with an MNVV, they discounted that fare by $300 over what the computer was showing as cruise cost and showed the $300 cost of the MNVV as having been paid for the cruise fare so I did end up with the total of $600 off what the computer said the cruise would cost....and that was on top of any other "deals."  They did combine the MNVV discount with other discounts like "Book early, save more" and whatever the special was at that time, so I didn't see a separate $300 discount, but I could easily see that the cruise fare I was being charged reflected the discount. Using my same example above--cruise cost if you look on line is $3000 with $300 of that as taxes.  Using MNVV, they will show a $300 discount as well as $300 credit for the MNVV, so your remaining cost would be $2400.  From there, they used to calculate the 10% at $210 (removing the taxes from the $2400), but on my last cruise had corrected that so the 10% became $270 based on the cruise fare before discounts.

Yes, I know that you have to be a numbers freak to follow VV's accounting.  At least they did correct the discounts.  

My suggestion--as above posters suggested--ask the TA for a full accounting and make her explain where the $300 for MNVV went as well as the $300 discount and any other discounts you qualified for as well as the 10%.  MNVV can only be applied on bookings of Sea Terrace or above, not on Lock It In rates.

It is TOTALLY permitted for TAs to buy MNVVs when they cruise and "resell" them to their clients.  In fact, VV encourages this as a marketing tool.  They  are limited in how many they can purchase.  It isn't a gray area or somehow inappropriate, and the same MNVV rules apply as if you had purchased it on board.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 2

Have your TA send you a copy of the VV invoice. TAs can’t change the price of the cruise. It should all be spelled out on the invoice. The $300 you paid to the TA would show up as a $300 deposit on the invoice. The fact that the MNVV promo was used means you have the additional $300 discount. The important thing is to see the $300 deposit applied to your voyage. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cantgetin said:

It is TOTALLY permitted for TAs to buy MNVVs when they cruise and "resell" them to their clients.  In fact, VV encourages this as a marketing tool.  They  are limited in how many they can purchase.  It isn't a gray area or somehow inappropriate, and the same MNVV rules apply as if you had purchased it on board.

Don't get me wrong, I can 100% see each part of VV turning a blind eye/letting it happen: onboard sales will welcome the ability to hit sales targets, TA relations want to help their agents make sales by provide another "pre-made" tool for their disposal, finance are happy with deposits in the bag etc. It however seems, based on the terms,  TAs reselling them is just an afterthought.

Might be fairer to say its a grey area when approached from a UK standpoint; sanctioned commercial use would be address explicit in the terms (or some sort of addendum), partly due to higher consumer protection obligations.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all the response and explanations.  I will ask the TA for the full invoice and accounting.  I just wanted to make sure I was correct in that MNVV certificates was supposed to have $300 as a deposit AND $300 off as a discount + $600 in sailor loot.  I didn’t want to seem accusatory if I asked about it.  Thanks so much again!

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 6:17 AM, jamesv92 said:

Oh ok if you've paid $300 deposit you should get another $300 off yes 

The cruise fare is reduced $300. The $300 you paid is your deposit, so that is $300 less you pay later, but the cruise fare itself is only reduced $300. Plus you get the loot.

Edited by Gretchendz

3 hours ago, cakewalk73 said:

Thanks so much for all the response and explanations.  I will ask the TA for the full invoice and accounting.  I just wanted to make sure I was correct in that MNVV certificates was supposed to have $300 as a deposit AND $300 off as a discount + $600 in sailor loot.  I didn’t want to seem accusatory if I asked about it.  Thanks so much again!

The $300 you paid for the MNVV goest toward the deposit, another $300 is reduced from the cruise fare.  And you get the $600 in loot.

• Like 1

It is confusing when people assume "$600 off" the cruise fare, it is not.

$300 paid to purchase the MNVV. This is applied to your 20% deposit. If your 20% deposit is $450 you will only pay $150 at the time of booking.

$300 off the Cruise Fare.  If your cruise fare is listed as $2300 you will pay $2000. 

$600 in Sailor Loot. This sailor loot is combinable with most TA offerings and most Virgin Voyages offerings such as the $300 - $600 Bar Tab. 

A lot of people get confused and assume it's $600 Off the cruise fare. It is not. It's $300 total off the cruise fare with your $300 initial payment going towards your deposit. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Very interesting. Today I was offered a MNVV by a TA. He then promised a better fare than what i could get online, plus 600 loot plus 600 bar tab for a 5 day cruise. I of course had to "buy" the MNVV first. I simply asked for a copy of the invoice / booking so i could review before purchasing. He couldnt / wouldnt do it for some reason .. and consequently, neither could I 😞

55 minutes ago, valuemkt said:

Very interesting. Today I was offered a MNVV by a TA. He then promised a better fare than what i could get online, plus 600 loot plus 600 bar tab for a 5 day cruise. I of course had to "buy" the MNVV first. I simply asked for a copy of the invoice / booking so i could review before purchasing. He couldnt / wouldnt do it for some reason .. and consequently, neither could I 😞

It wouldn’t be $600 bar tab on a 5 day cruise. They also can’t really get you a better fare, other than the $300 MNVV discount, unless they are giving you some commission. 

• Like 1

This is all legit....except that the bar tab should be $300, not $600.
The "better fare" is the $300 off for the MNVV (that's in addition to the $300 that you used to purchase the MNVV and is applied to the down payment of the cruise).  So yes, you really do get $300 off whatever the on line fare is. The $600 loot is from the MNVV and the $300 bar tab is the current offer on a 5 night cruise.  SO, the only thing you were really offered was the ability to purchase the MNVV from the agent....which is allowed.  No extras in what you named.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2023 at 3:55 AM, CruisingWalter said:

$300 paid to purchase the MNVV. This is applied to your 20% deposit. If your 20% deposit is $450 you will only pay $150 at the time of booking.

$300 off the Cruise Fare.  If your cruise fare is listed as $2300 you will pay $2000. 

$600 in Sailor Loot. This sailor loot is combinable with most TA offerings and most Virgin Voyages offerings such as the $300 - $600 Bar Tab. 

A lot of people get confused and assume it's $600 Off the cruise fare. It is not. It's $300 total off the cruise fare with your $300 initial payment going towards your deposit. 

Hello,

I just contacted a TA to book my first VV cruise and am trying to understand how the MNVV works with this booking. I wanted a XL Sea Terrace for 2.  The cost of the cabin right now online is as follows:

$1975.50 per person

$240 in taxes and fees

Cabin total: $4191

Black Friday discount: -$790

Book early discount: $395

Voyage total less discounts: $3,006

The TA quoted me $2,706, with 10% discount early pay of $2,430, plus $600 bar tab and $700 sailor loot.  I pay $300 to the TA, plus $193 deposit to VV now.  If I pay in full for the early discount of $2,430, am I getting the correct discount or should the TA have applied an additional $300?  I think it is correct but this thread is making me confused.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, aggiejd2000 said:

Hello,

I just contacted a TA to book my first VV cruise and am trying to understand how the MNVV works with this booking. I wanted a XL Sea Terrace for 2.  The cost of the cabin right now online is as follows:

$1975.50 per person

$240 in taxes and fees

Cabin total: $4191

Black Friday discount: -$790

Book early discount: $395

Voyage total less discounts: $3,006

The TA quoted me $2,706, with 10% discount early pay of $2,430, plus $600 bar tab and $700 sailor loot.  I pay $300 to the TA, plus $193 deposit to VV now.  If I pay in full for the early discount of $2,430, am I getting the correct discount or should the TA have applied an additional $300?  I think it is correct but this thread is making me confused.  Thanks!

This is exactly right.  The TA took the $300 off the $3006 to give you a total of $2706.  You are paying $300 for the MNVV which is being applied to the deposit, along with the $194 additional needed for the deposit.  If you pay off the balance more than 180 days before cruising, you will get the 10% deduction at that time.

• Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 3:55 AM, CruisingWalter said:

Wow, is this correct?

So by doing MNVV, you actually get NO discount off the fare?  

I'm paid $300 while on board for my MNVV.  So I don't get any discount on the cruise fare?  It is just a $300 deposit with $600 Sailor Loot?

So the only benefit of MNVV is $600 Sailor Loot?

12 minutes ago, singleflyer said:

Wow, is this correct?

So by doing MNVV, you actually get NO discount off the fare?  

I'm paid $300 while on board for my MNVV.  So I don't get any discount on the cruise fare?  It is just a $300 deposit with $600 Sailor Loot?

So the only benefit of MNVV is $600 Sailor Loot?

Not true. If you bought on board, the $300 you paid now becomes your deposit on your next cruise, then on top of that you get $300 off the price of the next cruise, then you get $600 on board credit too.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gretchendz said:

Not true. If you bought on board, the $300 you paid now becomes your deposit on your next cruise, then on top of that you get $300 off the price of the next cruise, then you get $600 on board credit too.

Thank you, that is what I thought.  

I just spoke to two different VV phone reps.  Both quoted me with only a $300 reduction.  Hopefully it is just an IT issue (I can't even view my account right now).  I'll try again tomorrow.

Just now, singleflyer said:

Thank you, that is what I thought.  

I just spoke to two different VV phone reps.  Both quoted me with only a $300 reduction.  Hopefully it is just an IT issue (I can't even view my account right now).  I'll try again tomorrow.

Well technically it is just a $300 price reduction PLUS $300 applied toward your deposit and the $600 OBC

2 minutes ago, Gretchendz said:

Well technically it is just a $300 price reduction PLUS $300 applied toward your deposit and the $600 OBC

This is for a voyage next week, so I would assume it would just be a $600 reduction off the fare?  Since full payment is due now.