NCL Epic: Concerns for crib in cabin

beckyboo1986

Hi all

I'll be travelling on Epic towards end of September with my toddler who sleeps in a travel crib. When I booked directly with NCL, I requested a crib and she said that's fine. She also upsold the cabin. I ended up booking a Club balcony suite.

Since researching more, these cabins don't look particularly big and I'm just wondering where on earth will they put the crib. I've cruised many times before with my little one and have always had enough space (although occasionally a little tight).

Just wondering if I have any options at all? I can't be the only person travelling with a baby who sleeps in a crib so surely they cater for these things.

The latest reviews have been less than favorable too but hoping we'll be ok.

9 minutes ago, CambsCruiser82 said:

When you say cater for these things what exactly are you looking for them to offer you? You're right in that it may be cramped but unfortunately the room design doesn't allow for a huge amount of room in the first place.

I want to know if logistically there is space for a crib in the room. It seems ridiculous if I can't navigate the room if there's a crib there. Not to mention a fire risk if it obstructs our path to safety.

1 minute ago, beckyboo1986 said:

I want to know if logistically there is space for a crib in the room. It seems ridiculous if I can't navigate the room if there's a crib there. Not to mention a fire risk if it obstructs our path to safety.

I would envisage the crib immediately beside the bed should work in relation to the space required or near the sofa. It will be tight though.

I'm sure they have put cribs in all room types I just think its something you'll have to deal with. 

10 minutes ago, beckyboo1986 said:

While I have no personal knowledge (never cruised with child's crib).  A club balcony suite is not really much bigger than a balcony, but, I am sure you'll be able to place a small-sized crib in the room.  However, the space will be tight.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CambsCruiser82 said:

I would envisage the crib immediately beside the bed should work in relation to the space required or near the sofa. It will be tight though.

I'm sure they have put cribs in all room types I just think its something you'll have to deal with. 

Thank you.

It has been a long time since I have cruised with a toddler.

The "crib" will probably be a "Pack and Play," which most children outgrow by the age of two.

Have you considered asking for a sheet and light blanket to have your toddler sleep on the couch?

If you are worried about the child rolling off while sleeping, pull in the deck chairs at night and turn  their backs to the couch to make a barrier.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 2

beckyboo,

I "stalked" you on your profile, so I now know more about your traveling plans.

As it is just you and your toddler, I am going to assume you booked a double cabin and not a cabin for three.

The double cabin may not have the same floor space as a cabin for three or four and your concerns about floor space with a crib, no matter how small, may be valid.

Have you considered having the bed in the cabin split into two twins and giving him his own bed?

Yes, I know well the problem with having a toddler in a twin bed. My daughter was amazing agile and strong and was over the sides of her play pen at nine months and hanging on the rails on the outside of her crib by two.  We had to put her in a twin bed for her own safety.

The biggest problem was waking up to find a little "bed bug" climbing into bed with us.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

beckyboo,

I "stalked" you on your profile, so I now know more about your traveling plans.

As it is just you and your toddler, I am going to assume you booked a double cabin and not a cabin for three.

The double cabin may not have the same floor space as a cabin for three or four and your concerns about floor space with a crib, no matter how small, may be valid.

Have you considered having the bed in the cabin split into two twins and giving him his own bed?

Yes, I know well the problem with having a toddler in a twin bed. My daughter was amazing agile and strong and was over the sides of her play pen at nine months and hanging on the rails on the outside of her crib by two.  We had to put her in a twin bed for her own safety.

The biggest problem was waking up to find a little "bed bug" climbing into bed with us.

He's never slept in a bed and we much prefer the pack n play for safety. Plus we have a cover that covers over the cot to help it remain dark for nap time/early wake ups.

Hopefully we'll be ok with space. I guess there's not much I can do but hope for the best.

5 minutes ago, beckyboo1986 said:

I guess there's not much I can do but hope for the best.

You can also enjoy seeing a cruise ship through the eyes of a toddler.

We have many happy memories of cruising with our daughter throughout the years (first cruise was at eighteen months).

8 hours ago, beckyboo1986 said:

What is thee difference between having space and logistically having space?

• Haha 1

I remember reading somewhere that the pack and plays on cruise ships where much smaller than normal.

Worse case maybe you can split the beds, put the mattress or couch cushion on the ground between and make a “blanket fort” for nap times. That way he’s semi surrounded, near the ground, and it’s darker.

im sure you’ll figure it out and the two of you will enjoy a lovely vacation.

We have sailed on the Epic in what is now called a club balcony with a baby. They provided a small pack n play, and we put it right inside the cabin door in the little area between the shower and toilet compartments. That way we could pull the curtain between it and the rest of the room. It was cramped, but worked well. 

• Like 1