Is there shade on Seahore YC pool deck?

TinaM67

17 minutes ago, TinaM67 said:

We have been on Seaside and there was very little shade on the YC pool deck.  On the Seashore deck plan, it looks like there is an expanded area.  Is there more shade there?

We've been on both ships, and yes, there is significantly more shade areas on Seashore.  Assuming you are a non-smoker, the area forward of the buffet/bar area on the port side is covered, but seating is dedicated to tables and chairs.  Smokers are accommodated on the starboard side. Probably about eight four tops.  There are quite a few open cabanas as well, and while not really offering roof cover, there are ways to get away from the direct sun on the loungers in the cabanas.  It's not perfect, but it better than Seashore by quite a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

You mean "...better than Seaside...", right? 😎

Yes, indeed! 😞 I'm out of coffee this morning! Thanks for the catch! Happy you beat Morpheus to the punch! 🤭

• Haha 1

JAGR, thanks for your input.  I just saw a video of the Seashore pool deck, and there really isn't much of an overhang on that new area to provide shade (which I was hoping for).  The seating area near the bar looks more promising, as you mentioned.  We love being outdoors, but with a history of skin cancer, I need to avoid the sun.

Shade is indeed something MSC seems to be forgetting in designing their new ships. I've seen similar complaints about YC pool decks, with hardly any shade. I think you have the best chance around the indoor pool.

3 hours ago, sealynx said:

Shade is indeed something MSC seems to be forgetting in designing their new ships. I've seen similar complaints about YC pool decks, with hardly any shade. I think you have the best chance around the indoor pool.

Are they perfect, no, but have listened and greatly improved.  Divina got hammered for lack of YC shade.  They added a couple umbrellas.  Ships since they have the glass panels over sun deck.  Much better.

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Ships since they have the glass panels over sun deck.  Much better.

I wasn't sure how I'd like the glass panels in the YC on Meraviglia, but we loved them. First time we've ever been able to really enjoy a full day at the pool without a sunburn.

21 hours ago, jules815 said:

I wasn't sure how I'd like the glass panels in the YC on Meraviglia, but we loved them. First time we've ever been able to really enjoy a full day at the pool without a sunburn.

Mera is pretty good compromise on take some sun or shade.

On the Seashore, she has an expanded YC pool deck area vs the Seaside so you can move your chairs up next to the "funnel" (it's not an engine funnel, but more of an air intake) down the side of the pool deck area and have plenty of shade. We had 5 loungers all in a row, no  problem.

28 minutes ago, psmarkle said:

On the Seashore, she has an expanded YC pool deck area vs the Seaside so you can move your chairs up next to the "funnel" (it's not an engine funnel, but more of an air intake) down the side of the pool deck area and have plenty of shade. We had 5 loungers all in a row, no  problem.

Thanks for that information, it sounds encouraging. The video I saw of that area didn't look like it had alot of shade, but I guess it depends on the time of day.  We shall see.

We did the Mera in March, and while there were a couple tents set up for shade, it didn't provide much shaded space for people unless you were one of the few lucky ones to find an open spot. There wasn't nearly enough shaded space for the guests, especially during any busy times. They needed more shaded space. I found the SeaShore to be better, and I hope the SeaScape is at least the same or even improved.

On 8/30/2023 at 12:49 PM, JAGR said:

Yes, indeed! 😞 I'm out of coffee this morning! Thanks for the catch! Happy you beat Morpheus to the punch! 🤭

I would just add that should one 'tip' a pool attendant $20 he would weave a towel roof for you on one of the pergolas. (If he commandeers a helper $10 each).  Seascape has improved vinyl roofs, so we tip to towel the back wall of the pergola if needed.

P.S. I find sudoku helps.

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_2023.JPG

32 minutes ago, jame_g said:

We did the Mera in March, and while there were a couple tents set up for shade

Yes, indeed. This was something new we saw on the Seascape as well. It might behoove the OP to take a copy of this photo to show to a pool attendant what we are talking about when you ask to have a tent put up over your lounge chairs. (Again a $20 tip might help them find and set one up ?)

IMG_2988.JPG

Edited by morpheusofthesea

6 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I would just add that should one 'tip' a pool attendant $20 he would weave a towel roof for you on one of the pergolas. (If he commandeers a helper $10 each).  Seascape has improved vinyl roofs, so we tip to towel the back wall of the pergola if needed.

P.S. I find sudoku helps.

IMG_1848.JPG

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_2023.JPG

Thanks so much for the great suggestion! btw, I love reading you reviews.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

The 'quip' is that Champaign comes from the tap (Illinois), not from France. Since there happens to not be more than one way to spell a word with some people.

As a non-drinker, I have to fess up that this one got by me completely. 😵‍💫