Can you upgrade your cabin right before your cruise or the day or embarkation?

Cheadle_Chick

I was reading that sometimes it's possible to upgrade your cabin if there are some still available and it can be done for a reasonable fee the day of embarkation at guest services? Is this true? How much is a "reasonable fee" so I can get an idea of what an upgrade may cost? 

We currently have a Vista Suite and I had the thought that with 2 small kids, a bit more room (and a bathtub!!) may be nice if it we could score an upgrade for a bit more but I have no idea if it's possible or realistic etc. Has anyone ever done this? I did call today just to check and they could upgrade us from a "A" class room to a "BC" class room for $2020.... Yikes. 

I think what you read was something from the past.....way past.

We have been cruising for decades.   There used to be a dedicated person at the port that you could see to have that done....gone.  Now when you go on most ships, there will be a sign at the the Guest Services desk that they are sold out & there are no cabins available. They do this even when not sold out just so they do not have to deal with people.

In the 'new' generation of cruising, it seems that most ships have a policy where you can bid up to a higher grade cabin. You usually get an offer to bid after final payment.

This is run by a third party company. We have successfully had our bids accepted on 2 other cruiselines. I am not sure if Holland has this.

I understand your concern. I was reading on another thread that Vista suites are just glorifeid balconies & if you have the sofa bed out, It is hard to get around at night if you have to go the use the bathroom.

25 minutes ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

I was reading that sometimes it's possible to upgrade your cabin if there are some still available and it can be done for a reasonable fee the day of embarkation at guest services? Is this true? How much is a "reasonable fee" so I can get an idea of what an upgrade may cost? 

We currently have a Vista Suite and I had the thought that with 2 small kids, a bit more room (and a bathtub!!) may be nice if it we could score an upgrade for a bit more but I have no idea if it's possible or realistic etc. Has anyone ever done this? I did call today just to check and they could upgrade us from a "A" class room to a "BC" class room for $2020.... Yikes. 

How long until your cruise?

5 minutes ago, Shippy said:

I think what you read was something from the past.....way past.

We have been cruising for decades.   There used to be a dedicated person at the port that you could see to have that done....gone.  Now when you go on most ships, there will be a sign at the the Guest Services desk that they are sold out & there are no cabins available. They do this even when not sold out just so they do not have to deal with people.

In the 'new' generation of cruising, it seems that most ships have a policy where you can bid up to a higher grade cabin. You usually get an offer to bid after final payment.

This is run by a third party company. We have successfully had our bids accepted on 2 other cruiselines. I am not sure if Holland has this.

I understand your concern. I was reading on another thread that Vista suites are just glorifeid balconies & if you have the sofa bed out, It is hard to get around at night if you have to go the use the bathroom.

That's kinda my vision... We're going to be crammed in there like sardines. It's still going to be a treat, I just thought I'd look into what might be possible. 

7 minutes ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

Just 7 days 

Wow, that is a lot for a 7 day cruise! It must be a pretty full ship. That's more than we paid to go from a veranda cabin to a Neptune for 14 days in May on the NS but there were only 2 of us.

10 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Wow, that is a lot for a 7 day cruise! It must be a pretty full ship. That's more than we paid to go from a veranda cabin to a Neptune for 14 days in May on the NS but there were only 2 of us.

Yeah that's kinda what I thought.... Seems like a LOT. And it was just to a BC suite... not even a Neptune suite! 

• Like 1

The big issues here are 1) rooms that hold 4...not all do, and 2) don't expect a great bargain, or a huge selection at the pier. They have already done whatever they could to fill the ship, which usually means upgrades and enticing people in at the lower, less expensive cabin levels.

2 hours ago, Sea42 said:

can I ask how long before the cruise you upgraded? And how much extra it cost? 

@Cheadle_Chick it's worth another phone call to HAL to see what's available and get a rate. Don't be afraid to negotiate, just be reasonable. Just because it was ridiculously priced when you talked to them, you don't know how many cancelations they've had since then. They will be motivated to take your $$ to fill those beds.

And yes, there will likely be signs at Guest Services saying there are no upgrades available, but go anyway as soon as you get on the ship. One of you go stand in that line and other one take the kiddos someplace like Lido for lunch and meet up after the one who lost the coin toss finishes at Guest services.

Smile and very nicely ask to be put on the wait list for an upgrade - they do have a wait list and they do work through it. Sometimes it takes until the next morning so just check back if haven't heard from them after breakfast. 

And when they call, you can still negotiate. Sometimes the offers are very generous and I jump on them, sometimes I've negotiated a better rate and sometimes I decline. They will usually let you go look at the cabin before deciding and will never just arbitrarily move you.

The cost of the upgrade will be added to your account. 

So, no there's no longer anyone doing at the port, but it can be done onboard if there's availability. 

Good luck, safe travels  - enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

August 6th and August 13 - Noordam

Posted at the front desk - No Upgrades Available. The ship was full up on both legs - and no upgrade offers were sent out previously - at least not the six weeks before sailing when I booked.

Believe me- I tried - I hated the guarantee cabin that I was assigned and I tried everything possible to get moved. Another couple (also doing the B2B ) ran into the same situation. Certainly it is possible, but on high season itineraries (Alaska) when large family groups are sailing, and ships are sailing at 100% plus occupancy, it just may not be possible.

Edited by RD64
Spelling
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

@Cheadle_Chick it's worth another phone call to HAL to see what's available and get a rate. Don't be afraid to negotiate, just be reasonable. Just because it was ridiculously priced when you talked to them, you don't know how many cancelations they've had since then. They will be motivated to take your $$ to fill those beds.

And yes, there will likely be signs at Guest Services saying there are no upgrades available, but go anyway as soon as you get on the ship. One of you go stand in that line and other one take the kiddos someplace like Lido for lunch and meet up after the one who lost the coin toss finishes at Guest services.

Smile and very nicely ask to be put on the wait list for an upgrade - they do have a wait list and they do work through it. Sometimes it takes until the next morning so just check back if haven't heard from them after breakfast. 

And when they call, you can still negotiate. Sometimes the offers are very generous and I jump on them, sometimes I've negotiated a better rate and sometimes I decline. They will usually let you go look at the cabin before deciding and will never just arbitrarily move you.

So, no there's no longer anyone doing at the port, but it can be done onboard if there's availability. 

Thank you! I’ll give it a go on board! 

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

August 6th and August 13 - Noordam

Posted at the front desk - No Upgrades Available. The ship was full up on both legs - and no upgrade offers were sent out previously - at least not the six weeks before sailing when I booked.

Believe me- I tried - I hated the guarantee cabin that I was assigned and I tried everything possible to get moved. Another couple (also doing the B2B ) ran into the same situation. Certainly it is possible, but on high season itineraries (Alaska) when large family groups are sailing, and ships are sailing at 100% plus occupancy, it just may not be possible.

I agree. But it's always worth asking. You just never know who blew out a knee loading up the suitcases to head to the airport...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

I am guessing you on the Koningsdam for Saturday. What your saying is you are currently in an "A" Vista Suite. But they offered BC category, this makes no sense since a BC is a Lower category often guarantee of the Vista Suites and would be the same type of stateroom you currently have. Unless you were being offered an SC?? I am assuming there are 4 of you in this stateroom, the next category up from the Vista Suite is a signature Suite but no Signature Suites will accomodate 4 passengers you would have to go to a Neptune Suite. In recent times the Neptune Suites sell out early and do not always come up for Upsell offers. But there might have been and to go from a Vista to a Neptune that very possibly would be the Upsell amount that would have gone out in emails to offer. It also depends on if you are booked in US Dollar or CA Dollar.  

Unfortunately as others have said there is no chance of upselling at the peir or once you board the ship. Those days are long gone.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I am guessing you on the Koningsdam for Saturday. What your saying is you are currently in an "A" Vista Suite. But they offered BC category, this makes no sense since a BC is a Lower category often guarantee of the Vista Suites and would be the same type of stateroom you currently have. Unless you were being offered an SC?? I am assuming there are 4 of you in this stateroom, the next category up from the Vista Suite is a signature Suite but no Signature Suites will accomodate 4 passengers you would have to go to a Neptune Suite. In recent times the Neptune Suites sell out early and do not always come up for Upsell offers. But there might have been and to go from a Vista to a Neptune that very possibly would be the Upsell amount that would have gone out in emails to offer. It also depends on if you are booked in US Dollar or CA Dollar.  

Unfortunately as others have said there is no chance of upselling at the peir or once you board the ship. Those days are long gone.

I’m fairly sure they said BC but perhaps she meant something else. 
We have 2 other families sailing with us that have 2 adults and 2 kids and they’re both booked in a signature suite I believe. 

Day of sailing upgrades do happen.  When we took our Amazon River cruise on the Volendam in 2019, we received our key cards in the FLL cruise terminal at check in.  When we got to the gangway security check point, those cards would not work, and we had to go to guest services.  There, we were given new key cards for a window cabin in place of our booked interior cabin.  It was a nice upgrade for 30 days.  For the final 14 days, we had to return to an interior cabin, but that was okay as we typically travel in inside cabins and are quite comfortable with them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I’m curious …when you call HAL pre-cruise, are you just talking to any PCC that picks up?  Or is there a specific prompt that you select to get to people who specialize in upgrades?  We got quoted a ridiculous rate to upgrade, but it didn’t occur to us that it might be negotiable!  How many days before a cruise do you generally try for the upgrade?  For upgrades, do you think that it matters if you are a 1* star mariner vs a 4* mariner.  Thanks for sharing your insights and experience. 

Edited by houstonheels

15 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Day of sailing upgrades do happen.  When we took our Amazon River cruise on the Volendam in 2019, we received our key cards in the FLL cruise terminal at check in.  When we got to the gangway security check point, those cards would not work, and we had to go to guest services.  There, we were given new key cards for a window cabin in place of our booked interior cabin.  It was a nice upgrade for 30 days.  For the final 14 days, we had to return to an interior cabin, but that was okay as we typically travel in inside cabins and are quite comfortable with them.

I have no doubt that what you are saying was valid in 2019, but do not know if it still is valid 4 years later. Lots has happened in those 4 years!

1 hour ago, houstonheels said:

I’m curious …when you call HAL pre-cruise, are you just talking to any PCC that picks up?  Or is there a specific prompt that you select to get to people who specialize in upgrades?  We got quoted a ridiculous rate to upgrade, but it didn’t occur to us that it might be negotiable!  How many days before a cruise do you generally try for the upgrade?  For upgrades, do you think that it matters if you are a 1* star mariner vs a 4* mariner.  Thanks for sharing your insights and experience. 

We call Ships Inventory - they have full visibility into all cabins available. Not in front of my list just now, so I'm not able to give you the number. If someone else doesn't provide it, I'll pop it in here when I'm reunited w/my computer. 

No idea if Mariner status plays into what rate you're offered; we've gotten good deals at 1* and 4* as well as unattractive rates.

Good luck!

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Cheadle_Chick said:

can I ask how long before the cruise you upgraded? And how much extra it cost? 

If you sail on HAL in the future you might want to look into Club Orange.  In addition to other benefits it gives you an upgrade to your cabin within your category.  I booked a 17 day cruise in the lowest Oceanview (OO) on deck 1, and bought Club Orange for $255 (solo price). 

I immediately called HAL's ship inventory dept and got my cabin upgraded to a larger, front facing Oceanview (D) on deck 7 for free.  It would have cost around $1,000 extra if I had booked that cabin initially, so it turned out to be a great deal.

Plus, there are other benefits, like priority check-in, tendering, disembarkation, and a private Club Orange and suite pax only dining room for breakfast and dinner.  It's the same menu as the MDR with one added entree.  You also get an extra entree choice on the room service.