NCL Panama Cruise Outlook?

ajtraveler66

I've heard nothing yet, and I hope I don't.  But I have read that due to the drought, some cruise lines are re-routing/canceling some Panama Canal cruises.  Just wondering if anyone has heard anything one way or the other.  Not sure if it's a factor or not, but the NCL Bliss is to go through the new canal as opposed to the original.

Really looking forward to the trip, and I hope it doesn't change things.  Our cruise is Jan 12 -27.

1 minute ago, ajtraveler66 said:

I've heard nothing yet, and I hope I don't.  But I have read that due to the drought, some cruise lines are re-routing/canceling some Panama Canal cruises.  Just wondering if anyone has heard anything one way or the other.  Not sure if it's a factor or not, but the NCL Bliss is to go through the new canal as opposed to the original.

Really looking forward to the trip, and I hope it doesn't change things.  Our cruise is Jan 12 -27.

The Bliss will use the new Canal. She does not fit in the original Canal.

Have not of any cruise ships canceling Canal cruises.  Lots of cargo freight companies may have to alter their plans.  Huge back-up on both sides of the Canal waiting thier turn.

5 hours ago, ajtraveler66 said:

Not sure if it's a factor or not, but the NCL Bliss is to go through the new canal as opposed to the original.

There is only one Canal. But there is a new set of locks that opened in 2016 to accommodate the larger neo-Panamax ships. The Bliss will use the new locks. 

• Like 1

I think we'll have to see how this plays out.  Saw Royal changed one ship, people not happy, to skip canal.  Then week later article about drought.

Having gone through twice can understand the disappointment.

My guess is they increase the toll greatly.

Thanks for that info.  I'm now thinking that since the Bliss is using the new locks that we'll be okay.  I'm excited about seeing the canal, but my main reason for choosing this cruise is to also set my foot in South America.

And what you say about rumors is so true.  That said, if you think I need to delete this post (since I'm the one who started it) I will do so...not sure how to do that, however.  Please advise if you think it's wise.

11 minutes ago, ajtraveler66 said:

Thanks for that info.  I'm now thinking that since the Bliss is using the new locks that we'll be okay.  I'm excited about seeing the canal, but my main reason for choosing this cruise is to also set my foot in South America.

And what you say about rumors is so true.  That said, if you think I need to delete this post (since I'm the one who started it) I will do so...not sure how to do that, however.  Please advise if you think it's wise.

I'd say keep it as news about the drought and backups not widely on the news so it would be good to give a heads up that things could change to folks.  I can't even say that the Royal change is even related to drought.  But from the one article it said ships were back logged currently so to me, adding a pleasure trip vs commerce MAY be working in the background.

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

I'd say keep it as news about the drought and backups not widely on the news so it would be good to give a heads up that things could change to folks.  I can't even say that the Royal change is even related to drought.  But from the one article it said ships were back logged currently so to me, adding a pleasure trip vs commerce MAY be working in the background.

The ships that are waiting to transit the Canal are commercial ships that do not have reservations. Container ships are being given priority. Cruise ships not only have reserved slots – – which costs a great deal – – but they also pay extra to ensure a daytime transit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2023 at 6:11 AM, ajtraveler66 said:

I loved South America.  My favorite cruise to date!  

On 9/1/2023 at 7:11 AM, ajtraveler66 said:

This doesn't seem to be that much of an introduction to S.A. for you. Seven whole hours (Cartegena). Not a whole lot of time for the continent.

By the way, I'm on the same cruise. Regardless of the current drought, there's another four months for possible rainfall before we sail.

• Like 2