Included excursion issue

AbbyFoggy

I just joined the forum for this post, but have followed for awhile and appreciate all the good info.

We're booked on the West Indies Explorer in November.  Viking published a SNUBA Adventure included excursion.  This was in addition to a city tour.  The SNUBA is walking under the water while breathing through a supply line.  Anyway, there were only 2 spots available after the suites had their chance to book.  When booking opened yesterday, my husband and I were able to get 1 of these 2 spots.  I called Viking and received nothing other than keep looking in My Viking Journey in case someone cancels.

Is this common practice - for Viking to have an "included" excursion that fills up very quickly.  I told the Viking rep it was very crappy planning on their part if a free excursion fills up with the suites.  I wouldn't be so upset if it wasn't advertised as an included excursion.  One such issue won't ruin the cruise for us, but I feel this was in poor taste.

I would email tellus@vikingcruises.com

This is customer service that is above the phone agents, and you should get a return phone call to answer your concerns. It is rare for an included excursion to book up in the first week of booking. Good luck.

• Like 2

I know the frustration of really wanting to do something special on a cruise, and not having immediate confirmation! 

We were on a Viking cruise in March with an optional tour that I wanted that was sold out, and I checked every day for a few months until two spots opened up.  When I booked I was only able to grab one of them.  I did a live chat with a Viking rep and it turns out that they still had that other seat empty, but the computer was just showing sold out anyway.  

Maybe double check to make sure they do not have one seat remaining...

Unfortunately, the SNUBA tour probably has very limited numbers because the vendor probably does not have any more equipment to use.

Yes, SNUBA is very popular is many warm weather places like the Caribbean islands--I have always wanted to do it, but husband refuses to go with me and makes me snorkel at a minimum instead.  He is scuba certified and can dive 100 feet deep or more--for him the SNUBA is too "babyish."

The other option is to let them know you want to waitlist once you are on board--maybe someone will cancel last minute (due to illness, etc.).  If none of that works, take the city tour, and then after your cruise book a land tour to a tropical island and try SNUBA, snorkel, and maybe even scuba!

On 9/1/2023 at 8:34 PM, CDR2001 said:

I would email tellus@vikingcruises.com

This is customer service that is above the phone agents, and you should get a return phone call to answer your concerns. It is rare for an included excursion to book up in the first week of booking. Good luck.

Before posting her, I emailed tellus@vikingcruises.com, and that's actually who I talked to at Viking.  The advice he gave was to keep looking on-line in case another spot opened up.  He was very nice, but was not able to provide any useful advice or actions.

This is the type of action (advertising the included excursions for all and only providing to the suite guests) is something I'd expect from Carnival, not Viking.

I don't want to sound biter as I'm sure we'll have a good cruise.  FYI, we're staying in a PV category stateroom so relatively early in the booking order.

Something seems off here about that SNUBA excursion. The website shows it as an optional excursion, not an included. If included, it’s supposed to be available to all who want to participate. Then there’s the policy that only ONE included excursion is allowed by the pax in any given port, so you’d not be able to take both the included walking tour & the SNUBA, regardless of whether at different times.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Something seems off here about that SNUBA excursion. The website shows it as an optional excursion, not an included. If included, it’s supposed to be available to all who want to participate. Then there’s the policy that only ONE included excursion is allowed by the pax in any given port, so you’d not be able to take both the included walking tour & the SNUBA, regardless of whether at different times.

I came to the same conclusion as @LindaS272. I could not find an included SNUBA excursion on the cruise. Given the cost of such an experience, I would be surprised to see it as a “Included” ie free excursion. There is a comparable but lower priced SNUBA experience offered by Viator.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

You can try to sign up for a second Included Excursion once you are on the ship. I did and had no problem on our recent Octantis trip.

15 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

I came to the same conclusion as @LindaS272. I could not find an included SNUBA excursion on the cruise. Given the cost of such an experience, I would be surprised to see it as a “Included” ie free excursion. There is a comparable but lower priced SNUBA experience offered by Viator.

I just looked at the website under the itinerary and notice the same thing you do.  SNUBA does not say included.  But when we booked and on our MVY it says included - see the above pic.

I'm guessing Viking has received a lot of negative comment based on advertising this as included and changed it to a paid excursion on subsequent cruises.  Our cruise was the first one this season and excursion reservations just recently opened so this would have been their first feedback.  

Still not happy with how they handled our situation though.

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

You can try to sign up for a second Included Excursion once you are on the ship. I did and had no problem on our recent Octantis trip.

Perhaps Expeditions allow more than one included excursion per port (aren’t most of the excursions on expeditions included anyway?) But it’s still the policy as far as I’ve experienced on Oceans that even if two included excursions are listed for one port, you can’t do both of them.

On 9/1/2023 at 5:57 PM, AbbyFoggy said:

I just joined the forum for this post, but have followed for awhile and appreciate all the good info.

We're booked on the West Indies Explorer in November.  Viking published a SNUBA Adventure included excursion.  This was in addition to a city tour.  The SNUBA is walking under the water while breathing through a supply line.  Anyway, there were only 2 spots available after the suites had their chance to book.  When booking opened yesterday, my husband and I were able to get 1 of these 2 spots.  I called Viking and received nothing other than keep looking in My Viking Journey in case someone cancels.

Is this common practice - for Viking to have an "included" excursion that fills up very quickly.  I told the Viking rep it was very crappy planning on their part if a free excursion fills up with the suites.  I wouldn't be so upset if it wasn't advertised as an included excursion.  One such issue won't ruin the cruise for us, but I feel this was in poor taste.

Given our experience on Viking, I wouldn't worry about this too much.  You have your booking for one and I think you will get the other one booked once onboard.  I can't even count the number of times we've visited Guest Services and have cancelled an included excursion booking.

Guest Services reps on Viking are very helpful.  If this isn't sorted before you board -- keep looking on MVJ for a cancellation -- I hope you will come back here in November and tell us how this turned out for you and your DH.

17 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

I was thinking the same thing; this doesn't sound like an included excursion, but rather a paid optional excursion--and some of them definitely do fill up.

As a general rule, the free excursions aren't rated as "demanding."

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, longterm said:

I was thinking the same thing; this doesn't sound like an included excursion, but rather a paid optional excursion--and some of them definitely do fill up.

As a general rule, the free excursions aren't rated as "demanding."

You're right, it doesn't "sound like an included excursion", but the point is that she has a reservation confirmation for an included excursion as per the photo above.

• Like 1

We have the same situation as OP on our Grand Hawaii and Polynesia sailing this November.  Hilo Hawaii, our first stop shows two included excursions, the 3 1/2 hour Hilo Highlights plus the 6 1/2 hour Secrets of Puna.  We're in a PV and booked the longer tour as soon as reservations opened.  Within 10 minutes it sold out.  When others on our meet&mingle board expressed disappointment I referred them to TellUs.  Later out of curiosity I checked the shore excursion descriptions on the VO web site and found Secrets of Puna listed as a pay excursion.  On MVJ I remain booked with no additional charge.

We had a situation where there was more than one included tour offered.  One of those was completely sold out immediately (which we wanted).  Another one (not as nice) was available.  I spoke with Viking about guaranteeing included tours.  I received what sounded like a reasonable answer.  If there is more than one included tour, a passenger is NOT guaranteed a spot on the included tour they may wish, but will be able to do the included tour (usually with lots of spaces available) that they may not wish.

This situation certainly sounds like that.

They do NOT guarantee a specific included tour to everyone if there are more than 1 included tour listed.   Makes sense to me, especially if a specific included tour cannot be expanded (such as this SNUBA  easily.    If SNUBA had been the only included tour, the OP would have a point, but since there is another one they "could" do, even if they don't want it, that is what they'll be guaranteed.

It is what it is and has always been VIking policy.  Makes no sense to say other cruise lines don't do it this way.  If that is important, then vote with you money.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We had a situation where there was more than one included tour offered.  One of those was completely sold out immediately (which we wanted).  Another one (not as nice) was available.  I spoke with Viking about guaranteeing included tours.  I received what sounded like a reasonable answer.  If there is more than one included tour, a passenger is NOT guaranteed a spot on the included tour they may wish, but will be able to do the included tour (usually with lots of spaces available) that they may not wish.

This situation certainly sounds like that.

They do NOT guarantee a specific included tour to everyone if there are more than 1 included tour listed.   Makes sense to me, especially if a specific included tour cannot be expanded (such as this SNUBA  easily.    If SNUBA had been the only included tour, the OP would have a point, but since there is another one they "could" do, even if they don't want it, that is what they'll be guaranteed.

It is what it is and has always been VIking policy.  Makes no sense to say other cruise lines don't do it this way.  If that is important, then vote with you money.

I've never seen this practice from Viking where you have 2 included excursions with one clearly being preferential/more expensive.  From this thread, obviously they exist.

But I can see both sides:  1) it's Viking's policy - deal with it or 2) it's a bit of false advertising when only 20% (guessing this since the OP was in a PV stateroom) have access to an included excursion - making an assumption both of these excursions were listed as included at time of booking.

On these limited availability excursions maybe Viking could note the limited availability for full disclosure.

• Like 2

I think we might be onto something!

Some of the points that I have made below have been picked up by others in the time that I've been typing, My fault for being so long-winded 😁  I will post it in full anyway........

This SNUBA included excursion not only got as far as being shown as included but was actually bookable free of charge on MVJ. It seems highly unlikely that this was simply a snafu in the back office.

I am wondering if Viking are experimenting with providing limited place, higher quality included excursions at particular ports on some cruises. These might be offered in addition to the “normal” tours that are included in each port. In practice, these “super” included excursions would only be available to those who, because they’re in a higher category cabins, get to choose first. This change could provide an additional differentiating factor for those who are paying a good deal more for their state rooms

Viking are only committed in their promotional material to providing an included tour (of some sort) to all passengers in every port. There is nothing to say that all included tours have to have unlimited availability as long as one of them does. In this case, once the spaces are filled on the SNUBA “super” included excursion, then there will still be a “standard” included excursion in that port that is available to all passengers.

My evidence for this theory comes from putting two and two together with this thread and something that I noticed on the Viking oceans website. 

On the itinerary for the Southern Atlantic Crossing, the eight-hour "Highlights of Rio” tour was flagged as included along with the much more basic “Historic Rio de Janeiro downtown by foot” I queried this with Viking UK, saying that the Highlights of Rio tour was unlikely to be included and having it flagged as such on their website was deceptive to potential customers. The included banner for that tour has now been removed but I would propose that it could still be offered as a “super” included tour on MVJ to a limited number of guests in the same way as the SNUBA tour.

If you look at the example excursions for Puerto Madryn, Argentina on the South America and Chilean Fjords itinerary, you will see there are two excursions flagged as included. At the top of the list there is “Highlights of Puerto Madryn & Welsh tea at Gaiman” which has been the included excursion for that port in the past. I would suggest that in future, this will be a limited numbers “super” included excursion, again similar to the SNUBA excursion.

Further down on the web page, you will see that the “Sea lions at Punta Loma & Ecocenter” is also shown as included. This is a shorter, and I would imagine, a less costly excursion from Viking’s point view, as it does not include a meal. If my theory is correct, this will be the “standard” included tour that will be available to everyone in future.

Congratulations on reading through all that! 

Now, I have to say that this is all speculation on my part and is currently, at most, something Viking may be experimenting with. However, if it turns out that I am correct please remember you heard it here first……..

Edited by photopro2
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

I think we might be onto something!

Some of the points that I have made below have been picked up by others in the time that I've been typing, My fault for being so long-winded 😁  I will post it in full anyway........

This SNUBA included excursion not only got as far as being shown as included but was actually bookable free of charge on MVJ. It seems highly unlikely that this was simply a snafu in the back office.

I am wondering if Viking are experimenting with providing limited place, higher quality included excursions at particular ports on some cruises. These might be offered in addition to the “normal” tours that are included in each port. In practice, these “super” included excursions would only be available to those who, because they’re in a higher category cabins, get to choose first. This change could provide an additional differentiating factor for those who are paying a good deal more for their state rooms

Viking are only committed in their promotional material to providing an included tour (of some sort) to all passengers in every port. There is nothing to say that all included tours have to have unlimited availability as long as one of them does. In this case, once the spaces are filled on the SNUBA “super” included excursion, then there will still be a “standard” included excursion in that port that is available to all passengers.

My evidence for this theory comes from putting two and two together with this thread and something that I noticed on the Viking oceans website. 

On the itinerary for the Southern Atlantic Crossing, the eight-hour "Highlights of Rio” tour was flagged as included along with the much more basic “Historic Rio de Janeiro downtown by foot” I queried this with Viking UK, saying that the Highlights of Rio tour was unlikely to be included and having it flagged as such on their website was deceptive to potential customers. The included banner for that tour has now been removed but I would propose that it could still be offered as a “super” included tour on MVJ to a limited number of guests in the same way as the SNUBA tour.

If you look at the example excursions for Puerto Madryn, Argentina on the South America and Chilean Fjords itinerary, you will see there are two excursions flagged as included. At the top of the list there is “Highlights of Puerto Madryn & Welsh tea at Gaiman” which has been the included excursion for that port in the past. I would suggest that in future, this will be a limited numbers “super” included excursion, again similar to the SNUBA excursion.

Further down on the web page, you will see that the “Sea lions at Punta Loma & Ecocenter” is also shown as included. This is a shorter, and I would imagine, a less costly excursion from Viking’s point view, as it does not include a meal. If my theory is correct, this will be the “standard” included tour that will be available to everyone in future.

Congratulations on reading through all that! 

Now, I have to say that this is all speculation on my part and is currently, at most, something Viking may be experimenting with. However, if it turns out that I am correct please remember you heard it here first……..

Your analysis and conclusion is exactly what I was thinking and concluded.  We likely will see further ports where there are multiple included excursions, where a passenger is not guaranteed a specific one, but is guaranteed some included excursion (likely the "normal/typical" included walking/panorama city tour).

On our upcoming Montreal-FLL Viking Mars cruise, for example, we just faced the situation with 3 included tours in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.  The desirable one (Green Gables) sold out immediately (obviously limited spaces), the 2nd one sold out in the PV's range, and only the 3rd one was available to DV's, and only the last 2 times in the afternoon before sailing.

This may indeed be the future.

1 hour ago, photopro2 said:

So another example of Upgraded Silliness?

• Like 1

I am thinking if Viking begins to have "limited" space on more desirable excursions it is to encourage folks to reserve higher cabin categories.  I guess it will be more math to figure out if higher cabin costs are worth it for better included excursions.  the included excursions on Viking Rivers seem to be better than what Viking is beginning to offer on the Ocean ships.

The majority of "included" excursions seem to me to be half day city tours with a bus, and a bit of walking for both Viking River and Viking Ocean. They are pleasant, never too strenuous (for us), and are a nice introduction to the location. I think Viking has tailored the excursions for people in average health/fitness level. 

My brother and wife are scheduled on Viking Ocean early 2024 in Europe--they will appreciate the included tours, and definitely prefer a more leisurely tour experience.  But we are more action-oriented, and eager to explore.

If we were going on a complex itinerary with some special sites to see, and those areas were not a part of the included tours, we would decline the included tours. We would prefer to pay for an excursion (private or by ship) so we can see and do exactly what we want! We also like all-day excursions that include lunch, so we can try some of the local food.

Since we usually choose these rigorous full day tours when we cruise in certain parts of Europe/Asia/Latin America, etc., we would then lose out of all of the "free" tours Viking Ocean offers.  Where, then, is the value?  (Perhaps excursions on Viking River may require less deliberation as there are more limited offerings.)

Yes, I agree the incentive is to choose the highest-price cabins, although booking excursions on Viking still seems to be a scramble.  But I can choose another cruise line instead, and have all my full-day paid excursions confirmed one to two years in advance (if available), with much less stress.   Which is why when we cruised to Italy, Greece and Turkey two months ago, we chose Princess over Viking.  We will always consider Viking for cruising, but for us, the excursions are a critical component, and play a significant role in final cruise selection.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2023 at 4:57 PM, AbbyFoggy said:

Our shore excursions were just posted for our Amazon & Caribbean Adventure cruise in January and SNUBA is offered as included in St. Lucia at Pigeon Island.